Animal sounds most often mistook for Bigfoot?

PNWexplorer

Those of us who grew up in the woods know that there are some pretty weird noises in the woods.  Some that seemingly defy explanation.

I've read some supposed interactions with Bigfoot and the witness described sounds that I recognized as being made by various common animals.  I think the most common animals that freak people out are foxes and cougars.

I used to live in Arizona at the mouth of a canyon with a creek running year round.  There was a very large cougar that lived in the canyon and a couple of times at night, I heard what sounded like a woman screaming.  Absolutely hair-raising sound that totally freaked me out, even though I knew what it was.  I've also heard cougars let out a low growl/roar that you can feel in your chest.  Also very unsettling.

One sound I never did reconcile, but maybe a fox, happened when I was 18.  I had a very amorous girlfriend and we were always looking for places near town to park.  I found the perfect spot on the local university campus on the edge of town.  They had a tree farm that was about 50 acres of 15' trees or so that you had to drive through a pasture to get to.  There was a gate that wasn't locked, but always shut and secured with a chain and clasp.  It was on a low hill that overlooked the campus and town, so we would drive up there and park in the trees and be able to see if anyone was approaching.

One night, we were parked for about 20 minutes and had the windows cracked a few inches and were in the middle of a good time when suddenly we heard a low guttural howl from about 50' away in the trees.  It started as a howl, and then ended in a scream that sounded human.  It was close and it terrified both of us.  I threw on my pants while my girlfriend started crying and rolling up the window on her side.  This was in a 1969 Torino GT.  I started the car and turned on the headlights.  The howl/scream came from the passenger side and the lights didn't illuminate that area.  My girlfriend was crying to get the heck out of there, so I put it in gear and punched it.  We leapt back on the dirt road and came to the gate a mere 100 yards away.  

I think the most scared I've ever been in my life was getting out of the car to go open the gate so we could get out of there.  I sprinted to the gate and fumbled with the chain and threw the gate open, then jumped back to the car and sped back into town.  Probably the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced.  I still have never heard another animal noise quite like it, and hope I never do.

Anyway, what other animals do yo think often get confused with Bigfoot in the wild?

Definitely a bobcat or lynx. They have a variety of sounds and their screams can light up a still forest with sound. It can be very unnerving for someone who doesn't know what it is, especially if they're staying overnight in the woods.  Listen to the noise they make at the 48-second mark in this video. That would frighten urban dwellers out of their mind!!

....and reduce them to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8lXfAPf4Vc

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1

I still don't know what this is, but a feline of some sort is assumed... This was enough to keep an avid hunter out of his primo hunting ground in Eastern Iowa.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Anyway, what other animals do yo think often get confused with Bigfoot in the wild?

Ex boyfriend?  Sounds like she might have had a few:}

Redbone - Probably a bobcat but don't rule out fox.  They make exactly that same sound and cadence but to my ear a slightly different pitch. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

I don't know, but then, I generally think bigfoot (with a question mark) only after the reasonable alternatives have been eliminated.    Even then, it's usually on a percentage scale, not truly a "conclusion" in the sense of being certain.

MIB

• Upvote 1

beavers , walnuts falling off trees and people saying did you hear that rock through.

If all you carry is a hammer everything's a nail.....

21 minutes ago, CaveMan said:

What animal huffs at you?

Ahhhh, lessee.......bears?

Did I win? What's my prize? High end thermal? Three week all expenses paid vacation to the Olympic National Forest? A case of environmental DNA test kits? Ummmm........I know!....... free round table discussion with Dr. Meldrum, Dr. Disotell, and Dr. Mayor?

C'mon! Tell me. I can't take the suspense!

4 hours ago, CaveMan said:

What animal huffs at you?

Deer make that sound when they haven't quite decided if you're a threat.

4 hours ago, hiflier said:

Did I win? What's my prize? High end thermal? Three week all expenses paid vacation to the Olympic National Forest? A case of environmental DNA test kits? Ummmm........I know!....... free round table discussion with Dr. Meldrum, Dr. Disotell, and Dr. Mayor?

It's not free but there's a good deal on FLIRs at "emojirags."

Hasn't Jeff Meldrum said enough over his lengthy career? What BF questions has he not addressed satisfactorily to his capability and duties as a man of strict science and religion?

I gave you the magic link to Distoell in a separate thread. There's no mystery with him other than his mohawk. A Harvard man just doesn't wear a mohawk.  You should demand an answer on this subject before any other concerns are raised. In fact. I will insist on it if this "round table" comes to pass.

Why is Dr. Mayor a resource?  Because she was selected to be on a "reality" show?  She does not have any special insight but if it is her influence you seek to tap, then there is wisdom to your plan.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Arvedis said:

Why is Dr. Mayor a resource? 

Because she is (or was) in the e-DNA knowledge circle with the other two PhD's.

7 hours ago, hiflier said:

Because she is (or was) in the e-DNA knowledge circle with the other two PhD's.

I forgot about the forgettable eDNA project by Meldrum: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sasquatch-nests-edna-study#

Hang on, I'm going to put on my Johnny Carson swami hat so we have advanced notice of the results...

These samples are.... contaminated by a human.

Thank you, oh great Karnak  ;) The results from the soil samples taken from under the centers of the nests at the site were announced in the Fall of 2018. Lots of normal animals plus Human DNA too degraded to show a novel primate.

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Thank you, oh great Karnak  ;) The results from the soil samples taken from under the centers of the nests at the site were announced in the Fall of 2018. Lots of normal animals plus Human DNA too degraded to show a novel primate.

Which, based on the feedback you got from Allen Mcdevitt, is no surprise at all.     Sasquatch would have to be quite different from human to be detected as anything but human / human contamination via e-DNA testing as I read it.   That paragraph from him also explains why the NEON project is not using e-DNA for their testing.    That clarifies a lot for me.  

MIB