Does hoaxing bother you?

Moonface

I'm fairly neutral on this. It can sometimes bring some entertainment.

All part of the fun, or an annoyance that discredits the BF phenomenon?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Discredits and hinders the search, that's for sure. It gives the skeptics another reason to disbelieve. I will not be a part of it. And though I will tease @Madison5716 verbally about dogman or even aliens, I will never fake some kind of "evidence" for humor's sake. My humor is more along the lines of bad puns and dad jokes. And then having to explain the jokes because they are so bad nobody else gets them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Admin

All the above! Brings disrepute and hostility to the subject. Speaking only for myself, once indentified as a hoaxer, a person will never have any credibility on the subject again in my eyes.

• Upvote 1

I agree. It is not helpful to the cause. I don't think it is all that common.

Certainly not as common as simply mistaken.

Where does that leave the woo? Claims into mindpspeak, interdimensional travel and all the fringe stuff hinder and harm the search as well. Hoaxing is essentially pranking, woo will always keep the search out of the mainstream.

Just now, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I agree. It is not helpful to the cause. I don't think it is all that common.

Certainly not as common as simply mistaken.

I think folks underestimate the amount of hoaxing attributable to stick structures, in particular the weaker examples, easily done by anyone and folks out on Social Media lap it up, seems like seldom is it ever questioned to the degree that it should.

• Upvote 1

I suppose hoaxing is like bad weather -- there is nothing I can say or do that will change it.  Do I approve? Obviously not.

One of the reasons I try to get off the beaten path is to avoid hoaxed footprints. Let's face it, a hoaxer wants his (or her) creations seen by as many people as possible. It is highly unlikely they will go to great lengths to do their misdeeds in the hinterlands. 

The good news is you can generally spot human footprints near or around a questionable footprint.  I have yet to see any human prints around the few prints I have found I think are legitimate.

• Upvote 1

I have never took stick structures very serious. Mostly made by humans not hoaxing and declared as Sasquatch by hope.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I have never took stick structures very serious. Mostly made by humans not hoaxing and declared as Sasquatch by hope.

Quite possibly but I've heard of that being called Self hoaxing.

35 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

Where does that leave the woo? Claims into mindpspeak, interdimensional travel and all the fringe stuff hinder and harm the search as well. Hoaxing is essentially pranking, woo will always keep the search out of the mainstream.

I think folks underestimate the amount of hoaxing attributable to stick structures, in particular the weaker examples, easily done by anyone and folks out on Social Media lap it up, seems like seldom is it ever questioned to the degree that it should.

Lol.  As if the search will EVER be in the mainstream until an irrefutable type specimen is provided.  Even then, watch the mental gymnastics by many to explain it away.  

I may not be one of them, but there are credible individuals on this forum who have had encounters with what could be termed mind speak.  

I steer clear of the extreme stuff about Galactic Councis and stuff like that, but I have become more open to some of the more offbeat ideas.  I used to think infrasound was a crackpot idea until we experienced that or something with similar effects.  

Generally, anyone who claims to have all of the answers to this phenomenon, whether it's biological or supernatural, is instantly dismissed.  Someone who goes "I don't know what is going on, but this strange thing happened to me" can be credible.

• Thanks 1

About the only thing worse than hoaxing is the people who spend all of their time rooting out potential hoaxers.  Only in this field can people who are basically self appointed hall monitors gain fame.  And, that's often why they spend so much time looking for hoaxers... because they themselves like the attention.  

So, on one side you have people commiting hoaxes for attention, while on the other side you have people trying to constantly expose hoaxers...also for attention.  

Also, let's be honest here...a lot of people involved in this field are proverbial crabs in a bucket.  If they see someone getting the attention that they themselves want...they are going to do their best to tear that person down.  

As far as I am concerned, either people are smart enough to see through a hoax for themselves...or they are just going to believe anything that is presented to them the right way.  Why spend any time at all trying to disprove someone like Khat Hansen or Dr Johnson?  Their followers are just going to latch onto another cult to follow in short order.

People who spend all of their time attempting to disprove stuff are just trying to get that same attention fix themselves.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

About the only thing worse than hoaxing is the people who spend all of their time rooting out potential hoaxers.  Only in this field can people who are basically self appointed hall monitors gain fame.  And, that's often why they spend so much time looking for hoaxers... because they themselves like the attention.  

So, on one side you have people commiting hoaxes for attention, while on the other side you have people trying to constantly expose hoaxers...also for attention.  

Also, let's be honest here...a lot of people involved in this field are proverbial crabs in a bucket.  If they see someone getting the attention that they themselves want...they are going to do their best to tear that person down.  

Much truth in that, most "Hoax busters" once you look into their pasts, well things go south... On Social Media they even seem to band together to reinforce their clique, which is what it is at that point

Hoaxing is terrible because good hoaxes require time to unravel with point by point proof why it is a hoax. Good hoaxes also consume too much attention. Far too much response to effective hoaxes with YT videos, forum posts, etc. Just gets in the way of legit research in so many ways, brings Bigfootery to comedic levels.

As dumb as Rick Dyer's hoax was, it worked! He didn't make any money, his associates lost their jobs but overall, he won.  He fooled people. His actions got a big mouth who is another hoaxer, to call a press conference that people attended, media followed the story and everyone with a passing interest made their opinion known.

That's the worst of it but even small hoaxes ripple effect.

4 hours ago, Moonface said:

I'm fairly neutral on this. It can sometimes bring some entertainment.

All part of the fun, or an annoyance that discredits the BF phenomenon?

A practical joke is done In good faith and then revealed to the victim for humor. On two occasions I hoaxed my aunt and uncle. I was a very bored country kid. Each time it was revealed to them within 24 hrs of the truth of the matter. Footprint in their garden. And a ape face in their camper window.

Lucky I wasn’t shot honestly.

On the other hand people who try to hoax the community for decades? Mislead the search? Are doing no one any favors!

It's not like I'm experienced on the subject but generally speaking, any attempt to intentionally mislead/deceive others for personal amusement really chafes me. 

Edit: spelling

Edited by Rod Hunter
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1