What Camera is recommended?

wiiawiwb

8 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I've backpacked before in the Grand Canyon and there are times sasquatching when I use to feel like one of those pack mules trudging along and overburdened.

"After I win the lottery" I'm going to hire a guide/packer with stock long term to move a little more comfortable camp around for me and just carry a day pack with my necessary gear.   (I can dream, right?)  

Back in 2011 I returned to backpacking after a decade or two off.    I used the same gear I used back in the early 80s.    For 2 nights my pack weighed 47 pounds.   My hiking partner hadn't done much hiking since around 2000.   He got his pack back down to 75 pounds by leaving his 12 pound cot home.    Holy crap.   After that trip was over, I spent a bit of money picking functionally equal but lighter gear in time for the next season.   I added a little more stuff for BF research and still was down to 32 pounds.    That is more or less where I'm at now.   

44 minutes ago, MIB said:

"After I win the lottery" I'm going to hire a guide/packer with stock long term to move a little more comfortable camp around for me and just carry a day pack with my necessary gear.   (I can dream, right?)  

Back in 2011 I returned to backpacking after a decade or two off.    I used the same gear I used back in the early 80s.    For 2 nights my pack weighed 47 pounds.   My hiking partner hadn't done much hiking since around 2000.   He got his pack back down to 75 pounds by leaving his 12 pound cot home.    Holy crap.   After that trip was over, I spent a bit of money picking functionally equal but lighter gear in time for the next season.   I added a little more stuff for BF research and still was down to 32 pounds.    That is more or less where I'm at now.   

32 lbs for 2 nights is pretty good, especially considering that you are carrying research equipment

I agree with BRB. a general weight around 30 pounds is quite manageable. In the 70's I used to pack in a gallon of water with everything else. Prolly topped out at around 40-45. Now? I'm comfortable with everything I need for less than. What helped was having a goal of 20! I think I'm around 24-27 which isn't too bad considering I'm not an AT sectional or thru hiker who likes their pack somewhere around 17. That's doable but pretty expensive. A high-tech light wt. tarp and state-of-the-art tent now would break the bank. I really should go through everything and see where my pack weight really stands. The problem is I LIKE everything I bring. Do I need everything I bring? Nope, I do not. I mean, we all know that we can go with ONLY the bare necessities and maybe get down to around ten pounds if we really wanted to. But being a gear head is half the fun.

The goal is to get the "Big 4" down to 4 lbs -- tent, sleeping bag, mat, and backpack.

1) Zpacks Hexamind Tent - 10oz

2) ZPacks Arc Haul 62L Backpack - 22.6oz

3) Western Mountaineering Highlite 35F - 16oz

4) ThermaRest NeoAir XLite Large 4.6 r-Value - 16oz

Total 4lbs, .6oz

All the above are quality pieces of equipment. You wallet will need to be on life support until it begins breathing normally on its own!

p.s. I have a Zpacks Arc Blast backpack that I use in mild weather for an overnight. It weighs only 8oz and can carry ~20lbs comfortably.

Edited by wiiawiwb

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

3) Western Mountaineering Highlite 35F - 16oz

I had that bag.  I could not lay flat on my back in it, it was too tight across the shoulders and would compress the insulation on each side of me.   Rather than return it, I gave it to my daughter for her birthday or Christmas or something .. she's worthy.     The Mitylite is 10 ounces heavier but for me, way more comfortable.    For a smaller person (like my daughter) the Highlite would be an incredible choice.  

4) ThermaRest NeoAir XLite Large 4.6 r-Value - 16oz

I use the old, original NeoAir.   Same weight ... a bit "crinkly" when I move at night.    It is an upgrade over my 1" thick self inflating thermarest short mattress from the early 80s, but I would like to get the Uberlite .. do I want to spend $195 to save 7 ounces?   Hmmm.  

I'm not too interested in the cuben fiber packs ... I do too much "wrecking ball" hikes through brush and timber.   I need the durability / indestructablity of Cordura.   I'll accept greater pack weight.   I also want a little more volume.    I've owned a couple of Granite Gear 60L packs and while great weight-wise they just are not quite big enough to carry my gear and don't have enough organization that I can find it if I do manage to shoe-horn everything in there.   

.. I guess I should add that because of my "wrecking ball" trajectory through the off-trail, I can't have stuff attached to the outside of the pack snagging on trees, throwing me off balance, or getting broken, everything has to be inside, lashed down, locked down, and protected considerably.

Your tent choice is interesting.   A friend and his wife are on the John Muir trail right now.   That's what they are using.   My tent choice, when I use a tent, is a TarpTent ProTrail.

MIB

The 4 items listed above are examples of how someone could get down to the mythical 4lb goal. I'm not a gram weenie nor excessively demanding about weight. Here's what I do have and what I would get today to replace it:

1)  Tent - currently use a SMD Lunar Two. I like extra room and would replace it with net tent. Maybe the Big Agnes Tiger Wall 3 Platinum or TT Hogback, so I could see everything around me. Also have a SO 4-man tipi (floorless) I just sold and will get a 6-man at some point.  Great for cold weather.

2)  Backpack - currently use Seek Outside Revolution 6,300 (~130L) with a ZPacks Arc Blast occasionally for an overnight in fair weather. I'd replace the SO with exactly the same backpack and the Arc Blast with the Arc Haul 62L.

3)  Sleeping bag - currently have 3 (two WM) and a quilt and would buy the WM Summerlite 32F, 6'6", as an all-around bag. 21oz

4)  Pad/Mat - I an ExPed fan, have three, and would get the SynMat XP 9 LW as an all-around mat, r-Value 5.2

The SO backpack is the second best piece of outdoor equipment I've ever owned. Eclipsed only by the Hill People Gear chest pack that is with me every time I enter the woods.

Edited by wiiawiwb

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

The 4 items listed above are examples of how someone could get down to the mythical 4lb goal. I'm not a gram weenie nor excessively demanding about weight. Here's what I do have and what I would get today to replace it:

1)  Tent - currently use a SMD Lunar Two. I like extra room and would replace it with net tent. Maybe the Big Agnes Tiger Wall 3 Platinum or TT Hogback, so I could see everything around me. Also have a SO 4-man tipi (floorless) I just sold and will get a 6-man at some point.  Great for cold weather.

2)  Backpack - currently use Seek Outside Revolution 6,300 (~130L) with a ZPacks Arc Blast occasionally for an overnight in fair weather. I'd replace the SO with exactly the same backpack and the Arc Blast with the Arc Haul 62L.

3)  Sleeping bag - currently have 3 (two WM) and a quilt and would buy the WM Summerlite 32F, 6'6", as an all-around bag. 21oz

4)  Pad/Mat - I an ExPed fan, have three, and would get the SynMat XP 9 LW as an all-around mat, r-Value 5.2

The SO backpack is the second best piece of outdoor equipment I've ever owned. Eclipsed only by the Hill People Gear chest pack that is with me every time I enter the woods.

Which model of the chest pack do you own? That comment caught my attention but they have several different models on their site.

59 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Which model of the chest pack do you own? That comment caught my attention but they have several different models on their site.

It depends on what you want to carry and how large you are.

I have the standard sizes Recon Chest Rig.  All I want to carry inside a chest rig is my Glock 20, a spare magazine, my keys and ID, a lighter, and a compass. I have a GoPro and a Cold Steel SRK mounted to the MOLLE on the front.  Once it begins to get dark I will attach a flashlight to the front.  I am 6'3" 240 lbs.  It fits well with with my pack and is extremely comfortable.

The Heavy Recon bag is a bit larger and can carry more stuff, but I don't want another pack on my chest... especially in the summer.

My girlfriend uses the Recon Snubby.  She is 5'2".  She can fit a Glock 19, ID, and another small item in it.  And that is pushing it.  She lashes an ESEE 3 to the MOLLEE up front.

Unless you are wanting to carry a ton of stuff or are 5 feet tall, I would recommend the Recon Kit Bag.

If you want, I can take a couple of pictures of my Recon Kit when I get home tonight.  It might give you a better idea of the size than the pics in the HPG site.

The main reason that I got mine was to be able to carry a pistol in an easily accessed area.  I have a kydex trigger guard that is lashed to the bottom of the bag.  As I draw the pistol the trigger guard pops off.  

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

I would use it for the same purposes you guys do. The pics would be great if it's not too much trouble to see how you have it outfitted.

I'm a paltry 5'8 to your 6'3 - but that's not the same as your girl either, so I can't imagine id go small. 

11 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

I would use it for the same purposes you guys do. The pics would be great if it's not too much trouble to see how you have it outfitted.

I'm a paltry 5'8 to your 6'3 - but that's not the same as your girl either, so I can't imagine id go small. 

Only reason I would wear the Snubby is if I was going to use it jogging.  Probably not even then.  The Snubby is basically for very small framed people who the larger bags would wrap around.

No problem on the pics, man.  I will get a few snapped off when I get home tonight.  I will start a separate thread and tag you in it.  The pictures may be of interest to anyone else thinking about getting one.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NatFoot said:

The Original Kit Bag (V2).  I'll have to take a picture. It contains three compartments. The one closest to my body contains my firearm and that's all I put in it. The one furthest from my body (outside of bag) is where I put my smartphone as it is in and out regularly when using GAIA. The center compartment is for everything else -- compass, bic lighter, car keys, leukotape, extra ammo, etc.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/71

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1

The Original Kit Bag (V2).  I'll have to take a picture. It contains three compartments. The one closest to my body contains my firearm and that's all I put in it. The one furthest from my body (outside of bag) is where I put my smartphone as it is in and out regularly when using GAIA. The center compartment is for everything else -- compass, bic lighter, car keys, leukotape, extra ammo, etc.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/71

Awesome! They have some really nice looking stuff and the catalogue was much easier to see than their site on my phone.

Wish I knew exactly what their colors were. I have an idea of what "elk brown" is but wish I could see the pack in that color.

I think I'll be making a purchase later tonight. And it seems as though they have quite a few things a prepper might find useful.

Thanks! I did end up purchasing a few items.

I got the Original Kit (V2) in Ranger Green. I wanted Manatee but it was OOS.

The GP medium pouch in Ranger Green as well and the stock cuff for my 30-30 in coyote as color options were limited there as well.

Looking forward to receiving this stuff. Glad I happened to check in!

• Upvote 1

You cleaned up!! Way to go. My OKB is in ranger green as well. I think you'll like it.

Your OKB should come with lifter straps. These are a way to dock your OKB to your backpack.  When you do so,  the weight is transferred to your backpack and you almost don;t know you have it on.  I always dock mine even if using it with a lightweight day pack.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/29

Edited by wiiawiwb