Four Wheel Camper

norseman

Just scored a used one that fell into my lap. The roof top tent was cool but want a bit more comfort without sacrificing mobility.

The top pops up and it has a kitchen with water, fridge and a stove!

https://fourwheelcampers.com

(Picture isn’t mine)

4E7B5FE8-C431-4B34-967A-340FC92CD9F4.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I've read upon those and am very impressed. Congratulations, N-Man, and I just know you'll put such a perfect rig to good use. That's one thing about the equipment you have, you actually USE them :) 

• Upvote 1

Cool find!

I've looked at similar from All Terrain Campers since they are only a few hours from here and we see a few of theirs around town.     One of the guys on one of the bigfoot trips I went on had one so I got to check it out .. thumbs up.  

Roof top tents are interesting but my GF doesn't have the balance or flexibility to be negotiating ladders .. at all .. never mind in snow, rain, and darkness.    I don't want to buy something that she can't use with me.    Before I buy a camper, I'm going to have to get a full sized truck to haul it, my current Taco is a crew cab with only a 5 foot bed .. not a win.  

MIB

• Thanks 1

These are neat options.

Thank you all for the links and information.

The only concern I have, is that this is like getting a little pregnant with going the RV route.

The features these campers provide have so many gadgets, electronics, kitchen sink and even toilet that they are like a mini RV.

Too complex and too much maintenance for just going out camping (for now, maybe later I will bite).

I recall that one of the BFRO trip leaders in CA bought one of these (I think from the company that MIB posted) and put it on a Tacoma.

He told me that he will never camp in a tent again after he was touched by a BF through the tent wall.

That really freaked him out and he felt safer inside a hard shell camper at night.

Everybody has their own personal rationale to make this investment.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, MIB said:

Cool find!

I've looked at similar from All Terrain Campers since they are only a few hours from here and we see a few of theirs around town.     One of the guys on one of the bigfoot trips I went on had one so I got to check it out .. thumbs up.  

Roof top tents are interesting but my GF doesn't have the balance or flexibility to be negotiating ladders .. at all .. never mind in snow, rain, and darkness.    I don't want to buy something that she can't use with me.    Before I buy a camper, I'm going to have to get a full sized truck to haul it, my current Taco is a crew cab with only a 5 foot bed .. not a win.  

MIB

FWC makes Taco sized campers. They are popular.

7 minutes ago, Explorer said:

These are neat options.

Thank you all for the links and information.

The only concern I have, is that this is like getting a little pregnant with going the RV route.

The features these campers provide have so many gadgets, electronics, kitchen sink and even toilet that they are like a mini RV.

Too complex and too much maintenance for just going out camping (for now, maybe later I will bite).

I recall that one of the BFRO trip leaders in CA bought one of these (I think from the company that MIB posted) and put it on a Tacoma.

He told me that he will never camp in a tent again after he was touched by a BF through the tent wall.

That really freaked him out and he felt safer inside a hard shell camper at night.

Everybody has their own personal rationale to make this investment.

At 50 for me it’s about comfort and ease of putting up and taking down. My wall tent is super comfortable and roomy. But not easy to put up and take down. This camper is ready to camp in 5 minutes. Rooftop tent was same way. But not easy to get in and out.

70005069-EA8D-4CAB-9999-7EE005419160.jpeg

I chose a small tow-along, mainly to sleep felling a bit safer in big bear country out West. I also chose it because I was pushing 70 at the time and after decades with my spouse, me and the dog, it seemed the best choice for the three of us. It's only a 16 footer but camping small is he way we like it. lt has everything. That inside bathroom at 3:00am is the BEST thing, too. It's small enough to fit in many tent sites and we don't use a generator. We can go a week unplugged and like being able to leave it to go elsewhere in just the truck. The truck also has a cap which means we can take as much or as little with us as we wish. Oh, and a good rack on top of the cap for the canoe.

We looked at slide-in bed campers but the floor space just wasn't going to work for us plus the dog. If I was flying solo, I may have stayed with a tent, or, if it was just me and my spouse at the time we would have gone more compact. But for our lifestyle now we're glad we went the tiny (7x16) house route. On top of that it meant we could comfortably stay with a half-ton truck with a V8 and do the hills and mountains without ourselves becoming a hazard. Last year I upgraded the trailer's wheels from a "C" (65 mph top speed) to a "D" rated set (81 mph) which has a little higher cargo weight capacity. This is our fourth season in the rig.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, norseman said:

Just scored a used one that fell into my lap. The roof top tent was cool but want a bit more comfort without sacrificing mobility.

(Picture isn’t mine)

Norse...how do you get it on and off? How much does that weigh?

Jack stands

1350 lbs

50664589-4F97-48CD-B44B-6AF59BDF6BFF.jpeg

2 hours ago, hiflier said:

I chose a small tow-along, mainly to sleep felling a bit safer in big bear country out West. I also chose it because I was pushing 70 at the time and after decades with my spouse, me and the dog, it seemed the best choice for the three of us. It's only a 16 footer but camping small is he way we like it. lt has everything. That inside bathroom at 3:00am is the BEST thing, too. It's small enough to fit in many tent sites and we don't use a generator. We can go a week unplugged and like being able to leave it to go elsewhere in just the truck. The truck also has a cap which means we can take as much or as little with us as we wish. Oh, and a good rack on top of the cap for the canoe.

We looked at slide-in bed campers but the floor space just wasn't going to work for us plus the dog. If I was flying solo, I may have stayed with a tent, or, if it was just me and my spouse at the time we would have gone more compact. But for our lifestyle now we're glad we went the tiny (7x16) house route. On top of that it meant we could comfortably stay with a half-ton truck with a V8 and do the hills and mountains without ourselves becoming a hazard. Last year I upgraded the trailer's wheels from a "C" (65 mph top speed) to a "D" rated set (81 mph) which has a little higher cargo weight capacity. This is our fourth season in the rig.

I wanted a 4x4 capable rig but still pull my jet boat. Eventually it will be my Dodge.

22 hours ago, norseman said:

(Picture isn’t mine)

Awesome. Can't wait to see the eventual pics of this in the field (inside too!).

• 1 month later...
  • gigantor featured this topic

Nice setup, no question about it.  It's simpler and more convenient than towing a pop up and you can get into spaces not accessible. 

Glad you're enjoying it.  Great scenery and views.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...