Black bear walking upright generates false BF reports.

PNWexplorer

30 minutes ago, miker said:

*I* mistook a bear for a Bigfoot.

Walking a trail in a reasonably isolated area where there is reputed to be BF activity. Suddenly up the ridge to my north is a loud CRACK. I jump out of my skin and turn to see a tree swaying and something with black shiny hair/fur moving off behind thick bushes - I could see the sun shining on it thru the little spaces between the leaves. Blob roughly 4' high and 3' wide.

Now, this was in a state where the DNR said "There are no black bears here". Anyway, the blob looked too big to be a cub and too small to be an adult. My gut feel was that it was moving something like a large chimpanzee, scuttling sideways, and was the right color for that.

Come to find out much later, several hiking parties had reported seeing a black bear on that trail the same month, and the bear then went on the highway and got himself killed by a car. They stuffed him and put him in the county museum. I went to see him and he was just the right size.

*NOW* they say, yeah, there could be some bears there. :)

Where was that @miker?

Good story.

This explains my point of view exactly.  I’m the woods it’s not guaranteed to have a clear line of sight so misidentification can happen to even an experienced outdoorsman.  No ones infallible.  

4 minutes ago, Twist said:

This explains my point of view exactly.  I’m the woods it’s not guaranteed to have a clear line of sight so misidentification can happen to even an experienced outdoorsman.  No ones infallible.  

It's simply wrong (and conceited) to think misidentification could only happen to green "city-slickers."

It could happen to anyone, even the most seasoned woods person, under the right circumstances.

• Upvote 1

It was in the Yellow River State Forest.  Of course I thought I had been tree-cracked by an angry BF. :)

My first time there I heard a single isolated wood knock, very clear. That was exciting. I just stood and listened quietly for half an hour, no followup, no voices, didn't see any people that whole day.

The last time I was there I heard a rustle in the heavy underbrush... and an eagle hopped out onto the trail and flew off low under the trees. That was unexpected too!

Edited by miker

15 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

It's simply wrong (and conceited) to think misidentification could only happen to green "city-slickers."

It could happen to anyone, even the most seasoned woods person, under the right circumstances.

We'll agree to disagree about both your conclusion and characterization.  One thing does have me curious though -- kindly describe the "right circumstances" under which the most seasoned woods person would be fooled.

• Upvote 1

Admin
1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

kindly describe the "right circumstances" under which the most seasoned woods person would be fooled.

IMO:

1) The woodsman has Bigfoot in his head.

2) Visibility is very bad

3) The sighting occurs for a very short period of time (seconds)

4) The woodsman hightails it out of there and doesn't stick around for a better look.

:biggrin:

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

We'll agree to disagree about both your conclusion and characterization.  One thing does have me curious though -- kindly describe the "right circumstances" under which the most seasoned woods person would be fooled.

A momentary sighting of less-than-whole subject. But you're impervious.

42 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I think you're being taken as assuming there are a lot of misidentifications and projecting that onto people's sightings here.

I assumed you were saying it's possible and not necessarily accusing anyone here of it.

17 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I'll have to disagree with you.    That requires a certain mindset that I do not share.   There are 3 answers, not 2.   There is bear, there is bigfoot, and there is "I don't know."    I'm weird, I know, but I embrace "I don't know".    As long as there is room for doubt, "I don't know."   When I do know, all chance for doubt or mistake have been removed.  

Maybe that's not true for you.   A lot of people are unable to be comfortable with uncertainty, they have to have a clear binary choice, black or white, zero or 1, even if it is wrong, rather than allow for any uncertainty around them.    If that's you, don't lump me in with you, you're making a mistake if you do.

MIB

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

I think you're being taken as assuming there are a lot of misidentifications and projecting that onto people's sightings here.

I assumed you were saying it's possible and not necessarily accusing anyone here of it.

So you're assuming the meaning in my posting? Ironic.

50 minutes ago, MIB said:

I'll have to disagree with you.    That requires a certain mindset that I do not share.   There are 3 answers, not 2.   There is bear, there is bigfoot, and there is "I don't know."    I'm weird, I know, but I embrace "I don't know".    As long as there is room for doubt, "I don't know."   When I do know, all chance for doubt or mistake have been removed. 

I can't help chortling at folks thinking they're immune from mistaken sightings. Don't let's make a mountain out of a molehill, here.

In the camp " I don't know".. if I only glimpsed, I could speculate on any number of things with the least being it was probably Bigfoot. So, in that instance,  I would have to conclude that " I don't know" what I saw... 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MIB said:

Maybe that's not true for you.   A lot of people are unable to be comfortable with uncertainty, they have to have a clear binary choice, black or white, zero or 1, even if it is wrong, rather than allow for any uncertainty around them.    If that's you, don't lump me in with you, you're making a mistake if you do.

MIB

I had this exact thought when I read the original post.  The chances that I would positively mis identify a bear as a BF would be close to 0. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

If that's the case, then, with all due respect, your conclusion doesn't flow from your premise. If a seasoned woods person has something dark and hairy in his or her cross hairs, that seasoned woods person is not going to squeeze the trigger until the subject in those cross hairs has been fully identified. A momentary glimpse doesn't rise to that level.