Going Vertical

wiiawiwb

Admin

Nice, but I see a group of BF taking it down and using it as a beach ball...with me inside!

Unique idea, had never seen that before. A bit pricey (for me) at 4400 Euros + VAT.

9 hours ago, VAfooter said:

One could certainly use a little camo to help hide the structure. And if done correctly, the structure might even cause BF to become curious about it and move closer to inspect it.

Something like that is a lot of work 30 or 40 feet high in a tree. We had something like that in a tree on private property over looking a swamp. It took us (4 of us)

3 weekends to really finish it . Ours was only 15 feet high . Finding the right tree is just as important as finding a good location. The limbs have to be shaped right in able to begin building a floor . I think it's a cool idea but it's really  noisy to build out in the quiet woods and if there are bigfoot out there there's a good chance they will be watching you build it.

I think it would be good if you build it , leave it be for a month or so , just leave it empty and then go up there .

As mentioned, above thread, by 7.62. Safety requires use of a harness to tie oneself off onto a substantial branch. For many reasons. Dozing off, chief among them.

6 hours ago, VAfooter said:

Nice, but I see a group of BF taking it down and using it as a beach ball...with me inside!

Unique idea, had never seen that before. A bit pricey (for me) at 4400 Euros + VAT.

Giant critter crawler like the transparent spheres you put a mouse/gerbil in and drive the cat crazy.

Those hanging domes are expensive, Hard to find a 'dome' tent that you can lift up into the trees after a bottom plate is installed.

These types of 'blinds' are private property only. I believe that if you had one hanging and left the area that you would be cited for littering. I was in a National Forest and stopped to read the Forest Service message board. There was a paper plate with a message about the location of a picnic/birthday gathering. It was stuck on the message board with a nail. A  ranger pulled up and asked me if I put the paper plate up. Informed me that the paper plate was littering as they pulled it down. Tough crowd. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, MIB said:

I've never used a tree stand .. at all.   However, a friend from Idaho told an interesting story.   Apparently a preacher hired an outfitter for a horseback elk hunt.   Somehow sasquatch came up and the outfitter said there's a particular canyon .. well, two .. that meet in a saddle behind a small knob and there's all kinds of "strange" activity there.   The preacher poo-poo-ed the whole sasquatch thing and asked to be left up in the tree stand in that saddle ... apparently trying to prove something.   I don't recall the specific details but I gather he returned to camp at a dead run, gathered his stuff, and insisted on an immediate ride back to town.   What he proved wasn't what he set out to prove.  :)    I've been to that saddle once.   I guess within my friend's bigfoot group, it is now unofficially named after me.   Don't know why, maybe because I sort of took an instant liking to it.   It definitely has the look and feel.    Anyway, I don't think the preacher liked his tree stand experience.

MIB

What part of Idaho?  I'm going deep into Idaho next week for a short hike.  If it was a guided elk hunt, I'm guessing probably central or southeastern Idaho.

^^^^ Bitterroots.

Here are some of the things that I use for hunting. They work very well an are comfortable. Just needs some climbing gear like rope and learning how to use that stuff.

https://aerohunter.us/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&product_id=83

https://www.bartlettman.com/error.asp?error=89&catalogid=1418&prdasp=1

Packable climbing sticks from lone wolf

https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shop/climbing-sticks.aspx

If you want to get in close with these creatures then you need to gear up and scent up so that they can not know that you are there.

• 1 month later...
BFF Patron

I hunted out of tree stands for decades, its a fantastic way to observe wildlife.  You don't need to be very high up depending on coverage. 

It should be Bigfooting 101 to spend hours in a tree stand just watching, you might not like what you learn but it will be very educational.    

• Like 1

I don't hunt from trees any more. It was absolutely cool baiting bears from trees and having big grizzlies just a few yards away, but the trees and stands were about as dangerous as the bears. It's more difficult to find, but I now prefer ground blinds a good hundred yards across open water from the bait. It's much safer all around, and MUCH more comfortable.