Trailcam artifact question

wiiawiwb

I just retrieved a trailcam and 4 days ago, at 4am, the trailcam was triggered by a floating, see-through object that moves about. The trailcam was there for a while and the object is not on any other videos, before or after, from this location. Any idea what it is and what caused it?

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

I have mostly captured the spider web artifacts during daylight in sun but the movement could cause a pir beam to trigger and reflect off of it at night too.  

Spider web.

What tripped the camera?  Look at the lower left corner, by the little tree, for the first few seconds of camera operation.

I'll go with cobweb.

So far as what triggered it initially, could be as simple as the plants moving in the breeze.   It could be a bat or an owl moving fast enough to be out of frame before the triggered camera begins to record.   Could be something out of frame, either below or to the side.   My cameras have a wider trigger zone than what the camera captures.    I could hear deer feeding below the camera that were never visible in-frame.

MIB

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

......What tripped the camera?  Look at the lower left corner, by the little tree, for the first few seconds of camera operation.

Yes, something enters the lower left of the frame, and is gone within the first one second of the video.

My job is to watch video cameras all night for 12 hours.  Most of our cameras have motion detectors, similar to a trail cam.  Spider webs and insects are the most common triggers.  The item in the video above was most definitely a spider web.

Weirdest thing I saw was in a building that the janitors claimed was haunted.  I saw a piece of paper on a bulletin boards suddenly and violently fly off the board and land on the floor.  Cameras are always getting tripped for motion in that building when there is nothing visible.  It's creepy.

I wanted to be sure the artifact wasn't a lens or optical issue related to the trailcam which could present itself on future videos. It wasn't on the video before or after so I assumed that wasn't the issue. It's good to confirm the spider web.

BFF Patron

Light wind at times and vegetation does move, the blizzard of orbs is more distracting to me than the spider web; did not notice them the first time :whistle:.  It is cool to freeze-frame bats at night with those cams, my old reconyx could do that quite well. 

Madison's observation has resurrected something I've been meaning to try. With hunting season approaching, there are a myriad of scent solutions for sale. I'm thinking of getting doe-in-rut attractant and applying it to an area 30-40 yards in front of the trailcam.

Has anyone tried using attractants to lure in deer with any success?

No, because, truth be known, being hauled away while impaled on the antlers of a 250 lbs. bull has never been a scenario I have quite warmed up to.

On 9/2/2020 at 7:12 AM, hiflier said:

No, because, truth be known, being hauled away while impaled on the antlers of a 250 lbs. bull has never been a scenario I have quite warmed up to.

Male deer are called Bucks.  And it doesn't work like that.  I've used scent when muzzleloader hunting in Iowa and it was fun to watch the bucks come in with their noses to the ground, but as soon as they detect a human, they are gone.

• Upvote 1