Leather Boot suggestions

wiiawiwb

For the past 20 years, I've been wearing trail runners whether I'm hiking or backpacking. Now that I've run across Timber Rattlers these past two months, I'm looking for full-grain leather boots to replace my trail runners. Leather substantial enough that a bite won't penetrate.

I've tried on Scarpa and they're too narrow.  Ditto with Zamberlan.  Not interested in nubuck so Lowa and Crispi boots are out.  I've ordered, received and worn indoors Hanwag Tashi and they're comfortable. Later this week, I will receive a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabbles and will likely order a pair of Hoffman Explorer Light. I'm also interested in Schnee Divide Mid or Absaroka.

Any other suggestions from boots you've worn?

Just now, wiiawiwb said:

Edited by wiiawiwb

I don't have any suggestions, but I feel your pain in trying to find a comfortable pair of boots.  

You keeping all three pairs?

Have you looked at Meindl boots? They are popular with forestry fire fighters and they have a model that are worn by lots of lineman (Hoffman puts their own sole on and they are sold as Hoffman/Meindls). They are comfortable but I don't like lined boots for work so I stick with my Vibergs.

I'm going to keep at least one pair, maybe two.  I returned the Hanwag Tashi which were very comfortable. There is a low spot where the Yak leather is replaced by man-made material which isn't covered up by the snake gaiters so that won't work.  I also returned today the Kenetrek Hardscrabble which were too stiff for my liking and caused a strain on the outside part of my ankle.

I'm hopeful of getting something from Schnee to fit. They have 5 different flex levels in their boot lineup so they can accommodate the spectrum of stiffness levels. I just ordered a pair of Schnee Timberline which has the second most flex. I'll also be ordering their Divide Mid when my size is back in stock next week.  That is a hair stiffer than the Timberlines.

I did look at the Meindls, and they have an excellent reputation, but haven't tried them on yet. I've been eyeing the Hoffman Explorer Light and their Rhino Vibrams but suspect they will both be too stiff as well. We'll see, and a keeper is found, I'll post a summary of my experience with each boot.

https://schnees.com/schnees/mountain-boots/

https://www.hoffmanboots.com/hiking

Edited by wiiawiwb

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to keep the Schnee Timberline and sent back the Schnee Divide Mid.  The TL is a very comfortable boot that has a flexible sole, as mountain boots go.  It's a 9" boot which is the biggest hurdle for me as I'm use to low trail runners. The foot box that is roomy and my heel feels locked in. I bought a medium and Schnee offers the boot in a wide as well. It should work well for traipsing through the forest and up and down mountains.

The Schnee Divide Mid was also very comfortable. It is a 6" full-leather boot and it's height is perfect for me. I don't like locking in my ankles, which are very stable and strong, and I've never had an injury with low trail runners. I'll need to move up a half size which is why I returned the one I bought. Also, I'll wait for their next sale and buy then.

The Company pays attention to little details. For example, the lace-up metal eyelets have a ball bearing inside over which the laces slide. That makes pulling them easy and smooth.

I tried Zamberlan, Kenetrek, Hanwag, Scarpa, Lowa, Asolo, Salewa, and more. In the end, it's fit and prevails. I'd highly recommend Schnee boots.

Schnee Timberline 2 .jpg

Schnee_Timberline_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They look and sound as if they'll do the job well. Good luck with them--may they lead you to a sighting! And thanks for the info and updates. I almost bit on those Armond Comelicos off of the Hoffman site but ended up ordering the Zamberlan 1025 Tofane--we'll see. I like that they can be re-soled by any competent cobbler---if they still make those....

I've used Cresta Hikers from LL bean for 25 years--5 pairs. Great boot that used to be made in Italy til my last pair--now from Romania. Still, not a bad boot, held up well. I made the mistake of cheaping out on my most recently expired pair-- had purchased Vasque Sundowners. Apparently a great boot at one time, but they're bunk now, burnt through them in less than a year, uppers still ok though. Had one good thing going for them--the sticky sole--great for slickrock. I was getting used to near spiderman capability but it comes at a price--they wore down to bald in places quickly and finally split at the 'crease' right to the insole. 

Thanks Kiwakwe. Vasque Sundowners were the quintessential all-leather boot that had a devoted following. Great boot that I believe is now made in China. Need I say more.

I did a 180-mile round trip to go to an outdoor gear store specifically to try on the Tofane. It was exactly what I was looking for.  It's an exquisitely-made, Norwegian-welted boot.  Sadly, it just didn't fit me correctly.  When I left the store, and had to make the long trip back home, I knew how Napoleon felt trudging home from Moscow.

The Schnee boot similar to the Tofane is the Absaroka except that it is a glued rather than stitched. I'll be getting the Divide Mid which is the Absaroka with a slightly more flexible sole. 

So many boots and so little time!

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Zamberlan Tofane arrived, though I'm 40 some days into the wait for the size 12 pair I ordered, which was the recommended size based on Zamberlan's chart but typically I wear a 13 and they fit with maybe a tad bit of extra room for a thicker sock. I'll see how the 12s feel. If too small, I'll sell them for a good bit under retail if anyone wants a nice pair with old school Italian craftsmanship. They are a rugged boot I'm sure they'll serve well.  Breaking them in out along the bog today:

IMG_6355.thumb.jpg.e2d0e8244f27cd5a2508e8af884b1333.jpg

• Like 1

Snakes have been bad up here this year, although I have not seen one until today.

Of course, I have probably been close to a few....just haven't seen them.  

I may need to invest in a good pair of leather boots to ward off snake bites.  Which will be an absolute joy to do... finding hiking boots that work with my feet is usually a giant pain in the rear.  I can only imagine how many leather boots I will have to try in before I find a pair that works with my apparently very delicate feet.

34 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Snakes have been bad up here this year, although I have not seen one until today.

Of course, I have probably been close to a few....just haven't seen them.  

I may need to invest in a good pair of leather boots to ward off snake bites.  Which will be an absolute joy to do... finding hiking boots that work with my feet is usually a giant pain in the rear.  I can only imagine how many leather boots I will have to try in before I find a pair that works with my apparently very delicate feet.

That's a tough go, not something you want to do off the interwebs unless they do free returns--somehwere like zappos may? I love snakes, used to keep pythons, had a 12' Reticulated with a bad attitude for years but if I were down your way, I'd have me a pair o' snake gaiters for sure. 

• Thanks 1

Finding leather boots that are comfortable can be a real challenge especially if getting them for purposes of protecting your feet from snakes. Snake gaiters (Turtleskin) will provide protection for most of your lower leg to the knee but there will be an exposed part around the foot.  The boot has to have leather thick enough to make it unlikely a fang can penetrate through. For me to feel comfortable it would protect me, I wanted the the boot to have at least 2.4mm of leather. Does 2.0mm or 2.2mm work? I don't know and didn't want to take a chance.  

Kiwakwe's Tofane are a beautiful boot and have 2.8mm leather.  I'd have no reservation walking around snakes in them.  I've spent a lot of time looking for leather boots and tried on a fair number of them. Fit is king.  Many companies charge nothing, or little, when you return a boot while others charge a paltry amount (usually ~$8). Zappos charges a big goose egg.

I found that I didn't like boots that have a super rigid bottom while some people like that. Certain companies, such as Hoffman and Kennetrek, tend toward more rigid boots. Other companies like Schnee and Crispi assigned flex ratings to their boots.

@BRB - I've found that certain companies are known for certain fit features. I think Scarpa tends to run narrow. I tried on a Zamberlan 1996 Vioz Lux GTX and it felt narrow and short. I would have tried on a larger size but the bricks-and-mortar retailer didn't have it.  Lots of leather boots out these I would try on as many boots as you can find.  Boots are something I would err on choosing thicker leather versus thin when it comes to snakes. One venomous bite that penetrates can be life changing both medically and financially. Let us know how you make out.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...