Lightweight Speaker to Call Blast

wiiawiwb

The areas I backpack to have a lot of ponds. I recently got to thinking that I may at one pond and a sasquatch at another one a half-mile or mile away. It may never know I'm nearby. 

I wonder if there is a lightweight speaker which could be put in a backpack that can be paired to a smart phone (or audio recorder) that would allow me to call blast a sound which might be heard by a sasquatch a half-mile or mile away. I don't know enough about sound equipment to know what may or may not work. 

Here are a few waterproof speakers by SONY. Some are 2lbs which is close to the limit I'd want to carry.  Would any of these work?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/wireless-speakers-docks/t/wireless-speakers

Any suggestions or ideas?

Admin

Never used these but found them on Amazon, 3.5 oz, 25 hour play life, waterproof, bluetooth or cord hookup, size of a soda can:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Speakers-MusiBaby-Portable-Waterproof/dp/B07XVFB67J/ref=zg_bs_689637011_13?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SN92AWTNA7B5ZT6ZK8YC

I've used a number of such speakers bluetoothed to my phone to play music in my garage or camp, but never (yet) for game calling. One of the biggest problems with such speakers is that they almost universally have internal batteries which require 110 v AC current to recharge, thus limiting you to one battery cycle of calling. That might amount to two days of morning/evening calling for a couple hours each time. 

My best moose hunting tactic by far was using a waterproof boom box with a 30 minute cassette tape on auto-reverse of moose mating in a pond of water. It would play without stopping for hours, and was not simply a 10 second loop played incessantly. Without fail, it would bring bulls in from miles away within 3 days. It was so deadly that the state of Alaska banned electronic calls for moose after I foolishly told my friends, and the tactic spread like wildfire.

Can I ask what sounds you plan to blast out? I've considered doing this the next time I go to southeast Alaska.

I'm gonna chime in to say I believe it would be counter-productive. One experienced guy on a podcast I recently posted said of calling one in, "don't make a call more than once, because they'll know it's fake". One call might get you checked out, was the gist, but I also think just regular human sounds will get you the same. Chop some wood, play some guitar, etc.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Huntster said:

Can I ask what sounds you plan to blast out? I've considered doing this the next time I go to southeast Alaska.

I haven't given a lot of thought to it yet. I wasn't sure if it was even possible by means of a backpacked speaker so I didn't invest much time narrowing down the audio selection.  Maybe distressed prey.  The downside is I could be playing the dinner bell for a large non-sasquatch predator.  I gave a thought to one of the more classic recorded sounds such as the Klamath screams. 

Not sure and would be open for suggestion.

@JKH  I agree that repeated vocals would be counterproductive. One blast of one sound to see what it brings in.

5 hours ago, Huntster said:

I'm thinkin' Katy Lied, or The Royal Scam, Steely Dan. Such will attract bigfoot with distinguished tastes.

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, wiiawiwb said:

The areas I backpack to have a lot of ponds. I recently got to thinking that I may at one pond and a sasquatch at another one a half-mile or mile away. It may never know I'm nearby. 

I wonder if there is a lightweight speaker which could be put in a backpack that can be paired to a smart phone (or audio recorder) that would allow me to call blast a sound which might be heard by a sasquatch a half-mile or mile away. I don't know enough about sound equipment to know what may or may not work. 

Here are a few waterproof speakers by SONY. Some are 2lbs which is close to the limit I'd want to carry.  Would any of these work?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/wireless-speakers-docks/t/wireless-speakers

Any suggestions or ideas?

https://www.gofoxpro.com

Ready to go outdoor system, but proprietary. Some callers use MP3 files.

9 hours ago, JKH said:

I'm gonna chime in to say I believe it would be counter-productive. One experienced guy on a podcast I recently posted said of calling one in, "don't make a call more than once, because they'll know it's fake". One call might get you checked out, was the gist, but I also think just regular human sounds will get you the same. Chop some wood, play some guitar, etc.

I agree it’s a futile effort but for different reason.

An audio recording of a call or distressed  sound is not going to have the same audio body and meaning to a BF when Played via a speaker.     Live music vs recorded is a world of difference.   I would guess a BF would spot out a recorded call vs legit call right away.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JKH said:

......One experienced guy on a podcast I recently posted said of calling one in, "don't make a call more than once, because they'll know it's fake". One call might get you checked out, was the gist........

I strongly agree, while it's clear that continual blasting works best with other species. 

• 3 months later...

I have used a small radio. The radio is one of the emergency ones. Has solar panel to charge, and a hand crank. AM, FM, weather, SW, etc. But it also can play from a small SD card. Simply put your sound file on the card and play it. No phone control, but you can put a big blank spot on your sound file with Audacity (which is free for the download) then drop the radio and you have time to walk away.

Edited by NorthWind
Typo

The reason I deleted my post above was because I watched a YT video demonstrating the sound volume of the speaker I was interested in and it was very disappointing. The person placed the speaker in a field, walked away from it and at varying distances played music. I could barely hear it.

I'm wondering now whether something like the old-fashion powered megaphone might work better. 800-yard range but the downside is the weight and size. You're looking at ~2.5  lbs once you include the 4 D batteries.

https://croove.com/products/megaphone-bullhorn-with-siren-30-watt-powerful-and-lightweight

The rub here is the speaker has to be able to produce sound for a reasonable distance (100+ yards) yet be of a size and weight that can be added to a backpack. I'm beginning to think it may be too tall an order.

Edited by wiiawiwb

On 9/27/2020 at 3:47 AM, Twist said:

I agree it’s a futile effort but for different reason.

An audio recording of a call or distressed  sound is not going to have the same audio body and meaning to a BF when Played via a speaker.     Live music vs recorded is a world of difference.   I would guess a BF would spot out a recorded call vs legit call right away.

The purpose of the sound projection can change. Maybe it is to project sound of any kind, let's say music, to simply announce your presence. It could also be a sound designed to irritate and get a sasquatch to investigate what the devil is going on. The latter is something I'd have to consider more before ever using.

I picked up a JBL Flip 5 for this purpose.  The sound quality is amazing, but the volume isn't there to call blast.

Honestly, I think that the only man-portable option I've seen is the set-up that they used on Expedition Bigfoot.  I looked it up and it was very expensive.

A bullhorn could be used, I guess...but I don't think that the sound quality would be believable.