Lightweight Speaker to Call Blast

wiiawiwb

I've been practicing using a Barred Owl Caller.  It's not intended to replace a speaker but it can produce some volume especially while doing a caterwauling. I will be using it on several different ponds so the water will help the sound travel farther. 

The expectation isn't to catch a sasquatch's ear a mile away. It is to produce a noise that a sasquatch reasonably close by would be familiar with but recognize is different from other ones its heard. Hopefully, it wants to satisfy its curiousity about what exactly why it is different. Just ordered a crow caller which can be fairly loud.

Neither are the be-all, end-all but they'll give me something to do in camp while I'm intently listening for night-time sounds.

Here is an example of how it should be done from Carl Drake a champion owl caller:

https://youtu.be/rvb76qaiiT8?t=58

This is what caterwauling sounds like from real barred owls:

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

If you get real good, you will have barred owls calling back and forth all night long. Owls are physically small but make very loud noises. The screech owl is tiny but makes an incredibly loud noise. Size doesn't matter.

Creepy sounds for sure. I remember the first time I heard that! Scared the bejeepers out of me in the dark woods at night. I have heard them in the daytime, too on occasion.