How reliable is smell when verifying BF activity?

PNWexplorer

Prey instinct with a BF nearby should be a natural reaction I would guess.  

Sure we don’t have an overwhelming amount of  physically aggressive BF encounters but the ball is generally in their court when it comes to physicality. 

On 9/27/2020 at 3:36 AM, Twist said:

Prey instinct with a BF nearby should be a natural reaction I would guess.  

Sure we don’t have an overwhelming amount of  physically aggressive BF encounters but the ball is generally in their court when it comes to physicality. 

Well sure it would, if a bear does.

I believe, but I was making a counter point that this thread did some good "explaining away".

Obviously it doesn't explain away thousands of sightings, including by people on this site that I believe.

3 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I'd really like at least one of the dead and rotting things we smell in the woods to someday be a sasquatch (verified)!

Yep!  I was doing a search for a murder victim in the woods based on a tip by a psychic years ago.  The psychic said the body was dumped within a fairly specific area, so I headed up there to check it out.  I started smelling rotting flesh and thought, "holy cow!  There really might be something to this whole psychic thing!".  I found within 20 yards of each other, a poached cow moose and a dead dog.  No human remains.  However, the head of the victim was indeed found in the woods years later, but about 30 miles away from where the psychic thought it should be.

• 4 months later...

Many new world animals have a rather skunkish smell.  Raccoons are one.  Someone should tell all these bigfoot researchers that primates had a terrible sense of smell.  We have to use aftershave lotion and perfume in male and female sents.  No primate cares that much about smell and none I know of use it to find a mate.  So some BF probably don't bathe and stink like hell but others actually may not.  They don't care.

• 2 weeks later...

How reliable is smell to verify Bigfoot activity?  Not at all unless a Bigfoot is simultaneously seen.  Like wood knocks and howls and tree breaks, odors are subject to misinterpretation.  They may be less susceptible to being human activity (other searchers or fakirs) than wood knocks or howls, but smells can easily be a product of BOTB* where a person finds that any strong smell is inexplicable.  

Not arguing with anyone's individual encounter(s), just saying that I wouldn't pay cashey-money if someone wanted me to go somewhere where they had "smelled" bigfoot but didn't directly see a Bigfoot.  Just my 2 cents. That an about 2 bucks more will buy you a cup of coffee. 

* BOTB - Bigfoot on the brain.

When I had my first encounter there was no smell at all. The wind was coming right at me and the creature was about 10 to 20 yards in front of me. In another area where I have had encounters I have had this odd smell where I believe a creature was following me back on a trail. It was  parallel with me on the trail. I could hear it as i was walking on the trail as well as smell it. The wind was blowing west and i was walking north. I stopped and would whiff it and it seemed that what ever was following me knew I was smelling it and would stop and slow down. It seemed that it knew I was smelling it so it stopped and slowed so that I would not smell it.

The best way I can describe the smell would be that it smelt like this bad odor of a human. The smell I smelt back in this swamp was a dead smell that really freaked me out. That smell I felt like I should not be there and felt like I should leave that area. My hairs stood up on the back of my neck and I had this freaky feeling. It was during hunting season and I did have a shotgun with me. I still did not feel safe back in that swampy area where I smelt that death smell.

^^

Odd.  Maybe because you saw a Bigfoot in your first encounter, your other senses didn't have to work as hard.  When there's nothing to see you're more attuned to sounds and smells, perhaps.

On 2/15/2021 at 8:35 PM, Trogluddite said:

Odd.  Maybe because you saw a Bigfoot in your first encounter, your other senses didn't have to work as hard.  When there's nothing to see you're more attuned to sounds and smells, perhaps.

That could very well be. It could also be do to the fear that i was experiencing at the time of my sighting that I just did not notice any any smell. I was in that flight mode when I did have that sighting. The other times there was no sighting but yet it was just sound, so my other senses were working harder to understand what i was encountering. This could also be happening to other witnesses who do not have an actual encounter. Yet know that there is some thing that is not right. So their senses go on high alert.

This could be with any animal and not just with these creatures. I remember hunting during the rut and walking through the forest. When all of a sudden I started smelling that musky smell of a buck that was near by. I could smell him and the wind was right. The only thing is I could not get on his track since the brush was way to heavy to get into. But it was a strong odor and he was calling out.

So it kind a makes you wonder if this smell that these guys give off might a part of mating. Whether the smell is coming off the males or the females when they are ready to mate. I have only smelt this odor in certain times of the year. I am not sure if others have ever notice this . But they should take note of this smell when they do come in contact with it. Keep record of it. The times that I have smelt it the most has been in the fall.