Is there a consensus on Finding Bigfoot TV show?

PNWexplorer

The show was entertainment, but it's a small part of the actual field of sasquatch research. I appreciate Moneymaker's BFRO, especially the database. That's a serious contribution to the field. I've met Cliff before, and had several email interactions, and I like and appreciate him. Don't know much about Renae or Bobo - I'm not sure I've even watched a whole episode all the way through. I found the show kinda boring, and their lack of follow through frustrating, and actual production value mediocre. But I like seeing different parts of the country and hearing people's stories. Rated 7 stars by me.

Before Finding Bigfoot, I think quite a few people got resistance from family or friends as the subject matter was treated as taboo.  I think Finding Bigfoot, more than any other source, lifted the dark cloud and made the subject of bigfooting acceptable in today's discourse. I believe the entertainment value to non-bigfooters helped to lighten the subject matter making it much easier for them to scratch beneath the surface and consider things.

I see far more tee-shirts, signs, bric-a-brac, and the referencing of bigfoot after FB than before.  I think that's progress.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Before Finding Bigfoot, I think quite a few people got resistance from family or friends as the subject matter was treated as taboo.  I think Finding Bigfoot, more than any other source, lifted the dark cloud and made the subject of bigfooting acceptable in today's discourse. I believe the entertainment value to non-bigfooters helped to lighten the subject matter making it much easier for them to scratch beneath the surface and consider things.

I see far more tee-shirts, signs, bric-a-brac, and the referencing of bigfoot after FB than before.  I think that's progress.

Well said and all true.  I have a green "Gone Squatchin'" trucker hat that my daughter gave me for Christmas years ago.

BFF Patron

Watched two episodes, thought it was hilarious. It did represent the state of Bigfootery very well, really no different than any of the other ghost hunting/UFO/paranormal shows.

But hey the guy has to make a living and more power to him, it had a good run, but obviously wasn't getting the ratings it once was.  

• 3 months later...

I am in California and know a little about show biz.  This is show biz. They are  making a TV show, not doing research.  A TV show has to move fast and hold the audience.  A TV show has a set agenda, a slant, a point of view.  They do not have time to treat any subject in a comprehensive way.  A TV show has a script or at least talking points which they want said even if they have to take things over and over.  Chasing bigfoot is like chasing UFOs, it is futile.  But setting up long term in a given area is soooooooooo boring for a TV show that it is impossible.  Finding Bigfoot took this impossible situation and mixed in witness accounts and town halls which were interesting.  In a way all those episodes had value because now we know that knocking is a means of altet, not other communication and calling as a bigfoot may sometimes work but is most likely means keep your distance as so is counterproductive.  They never tried whistles and whistles are something American Indians and Siberian natives say draw in bigfoot.  So maybe they never really wanted to find BF in the first place.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:48 PM, PNWexplorer said:

Matt Moneymaker:  Easily the most annoying.  His knowledge and observations seem solid, but for some reason, his voice and face just grate on me.  Seems a bit prima Donna compared to the other folks.  Very quick to label the most obscure evidence as verified proof of BF when it often clearly is not.  Seems the least knowledgeable about general outdoor things.  I get the impression that he was a city kid that learned everything about the woods on the internet.

They go out, make some howls or tree knocks, talk out loud for a few minutes, then scan the trees with FLIR, freak out when they see a deer, bumble through the woods for a few hours, and call it a night.  The last episode I saw, they had a woman present pretty amazing audio recordings and she said they happen nearly every night.  You would think they would go to her place, set out some audio equipment, find out how she gets them to start vocalizing, and do that for at least 3-4 nights.

But they didn't.  They stuck to their predictable and ineffective methods.

The show had great people, great media and video quality, and seemed well produced.  But the actual field work and techniques seemed questionable and ineffective at best.  Several times they go and camp out alone and say they had something come into their camp or brush their tent, or whatever.  But they never set up cameras around the camp to actually capture any images or sounds?  

You would think that a show that supposedly is trying to find Bigfoot would actually use more gear and technology that is commonly available.  I've seen folks here that have more and better equipment than that show.

:rofl:  For years I could never remember moneymaker's name. He's such a forgettable personality.  But, he is a good businessman because he a) has fleeced Wally Hersom pretty good. and b) there aren't that many success stories of primitive web sites that produce millionaire reality stars.

The joke really is on Uncle Wally. He seems like a decent guy but he has wasted a lot of research funds on Moneymaker's blah ideas.

I think Bobo was a commercial fisherman before becoming a bigfooter full time. That doesn't like a city boy career path.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:47 PM, Madison5716 said:

The show was entertainment, but it's a small part of the actual field of sasquatch research. I appreciate Moneymaker's BFRO, especially the database. That's a serious contribution to the field. I've met Cliff before, and had several email interactions, and I like and appreciate him. Don't know much about Renae or Bobo - I'm not sure I've even watched a whole episode all the way through. I found the show kinda boring, and their lack of follow through frustrating, and actual production value mediocre. But I like seeing different parts of the country and hearing people's stories. Rated 7 stars by me.

well said. The BFRO web site is invaluable to research. It's a simple site but serves a purpose.

Edited by Arvedis

On 10/6/2020 at 10:18 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

It was a show designed to appeal to the broadest base possible in order to attract advertisers who bought commercial spots to sell cat litter and toilet paper.  

For people who were not overly interested in the subject, it was fascinating...as shown by its popularity and longevity.  Not a lot there for those of us who are consumed with the subject or those who hate the standard reality tv formula.  But, we are not their target audience.  A lot of custom motorcycle mechanics probably didn't watch that Orange County Choppers show either.

It did present the Bigfoot phenomenon to a much larger audience, which was a mixed blessing.  It's died down some now, but having every other person in the woods banging sticks together and howling definitely muddied up the waters.

However, I think that these shoes serve an important purpose that is not really mentioned a lot...  The expose the next generation to the subject and encourage them to get out and LOOK.  How many people out there owe their interest in the field to In Search Of or later Monster Quest?  

Maybe the kid who will someday grow up to finally prove that these things exist is sitting there watching reruns of Expedition Bigfoot right now... eagerly awaiting the day that he is old enough to go out there and look for himself.

On a personal note, I originally found pretty much all of the cast members unlikeable.  However, I chalk that up to the 2 dimensional nature of reality television characters. A member of the forum recently turned me on to Cliff's podcast, which I am enjoying a great deal.  I find myself agreeing with him more often than I expected and find him to be a very likeable fellow.

That is a very good point.  There was a time when I never would have even considered the possibility that an unclassified species of bipedal primate could exist in North America.  It was only watching an episode of Monster Quest, the Sasquatch Attacks episode, I realized there might be something to this phenomena after all.  After do some more research on the subject, I came to the conclusion that it is not only possible but even probable that Sasquatch exists.  I am sure there are many other Sasquatch enthusiasts and researchers who have similar testimonies.  In this respect shows like Finding Bigfoot are a positive.

As far as the research quality of the programming?  The way Moneymaker and his crew go about their investigations, they might as well trample through the woods with an accordion.  They couldn't find a raccoon in the forest, much less an elusive and intelligent bipedal primate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

The way Moneymaker and his crew go about their investigations, they might as well trample through the woods with an accordion.  

Actually, that might be the ONLY way they'd call one in. Music is one way we've seen you can get their attention. 

5 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

As far as the research quality of the programming?  The way Moneymaker and his crew go about their investigations, they might as well trample through the woods with an accordion.  They couldn't find a raccoon in the forest, much less an elusive and intelligent bipedal primate.

I always find it puzzling that they hold a townhall meeting, get a bunch of eyewitness accounts from locals, which are nearly all daytime sightings in very specific areas, then they go out at night in the general area and bumble around with all of their fancy gear and get excited when they see a squirrel in a tree.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, GuyInIndiana said:

Actually, that might be the ONLY way they'd call one in. Music is one way we've seen you can get their attention. 

Now that you mention it, I think they had an episode with Bobo and a few of his friends from Hawaii playing the guitar in an attempt to attract one.  

6 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

I always find it puzzling that they hold a townhall meeting, get a bunch of eyewitness accounts from locals, which are nearly all daytime sightings in very specific areas, then they go out at night in the general area and bumble around with all of their fancy gear and get excited when they see a squirrel in a tree.

Chances are if they actually did find a Sasquatch or any convincing evidence in the field they'd find a way to bungle the opportunity. 

The one episode I did find intriguing was the one with the footage of the alleged baby Sasquatch swinging from a tree. It was filmed in Pennsylvania if I'm not mistaken. 

Edited by Wooly Booger

People can make fun of FB and Matt Moneymaker all they want. The simple truth is he single-handedly transformed the topic of Bigfoot, that had been perceived as the sole domain of kooks and nut cases, to something that the general public can better understand and maybe even accept.  An absolutely seismic effort.

Ask anyone in your neighborhood about Bigfoot and if they know anything about the subject matter they'll know BFRO and/or Finding Bigfoot.  Matt Moneymaker is to all things bigfoot what Xerox was to making copies, what GE was to light bulbs, or Google was to searching. 

8 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

People can make fun of FB and Matt Moneymaker all they want. The simple truth is he single-handedly transformed the topic of Bigfoot, that had been perceived as the sole domain of kooks and nut cases, to something that the general public can better understand and maybe even accept.  An absolutely seismic effort.

Ask anyone in your neighborhood about Bigfoot and if they know anything about the subject matter they'll know BFRO and/or Finding Bigfoot.  Matt Moneymaker is to all things bigfoot what Xerox was to making copies, what GE was to light bulbs, or Google was to searching. 

Actually, that credit is due to Bobo. Nobody cares about moneymaker or was influenced by anything he has said or done. He was aimless enough in life to wander into making a bigfoot web site and become an assumed authority because he was first in line to did something with his life that no one with a valid career would consider.

That is that is the only reason anyone would acknowledge the BFRO. Who cares about a citizen organization? A reality show cable television producer made it into a household name - not moneymaker. 

The show would have failed without Bobo. Not known for being a super Bigfooter, he related to and appealed to the sensibilities of the majority of lower intellect viewers who were inspired by an additional reason to say something on social media. Though Cliff's motormouth can occupy a conversation, it was Bobo who attracted viewers. The other person on the team is so forgettable, he or maybe she's a she, did absolutely nothing. 

Edited by Arvedis
  • Upvote 1

@Arvedis  Do you agree that a business owner who can recognize and hire talent that makes the Company grow and be profitable should be commended for his/her efforts and vision to identify such talent?

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

@Arvedis  Do you agree that a business owner who can recognize and hire talent that makes the Company grow and be profitable should be commended for his/her efforts and vision to identify such talent?

I don't want to be disagreeable and I honestly don't have anything against moneymaker. He's a smart guy but he is far from a good businessman. Wally Hersom walked into the picture. He didn't recruit him. Moneymaker did well for himself by accident because he had backing. Otherwise, he's still on tripod or angellfire with the title webmaster.

Bobo is talent? Even he wouldn't agree with that.

Edited by Arvedis