All Clear Alerts - Driftless channel video

Madison5716

That's an amazing collection of "All Clears." Yeah, I'd say he's definitely on to something. Thanks for the link, I subscribe to the Driftless channel but haven't visited in a while.

SSR Team

That's impressive no doubt. Thanks for sharing.

I could see where something like this kind of research might be helpful in determining over time whether or not a research area has potential. Especially hiking into an area one frequents relatively often. Setting up a recorder and then going back to listen through the moments right after one leaves could reveal a lot. As in whether to move on to a different area? It might be nice to know which areas have already been frequently visited by other researchers. Because if one's own research isn't producing much it may be because of overlaps with someone's previous research time and effort? Don't know how that information could ever get passed on though.  

19 hours ago, hiflier said:

I could see where something like this kind of research might be helpful in determining over time whether or not a research area has potential. Especially hiking into an area one frequents relatively often. Setting up a recorder and then going back to listen through the moments right after one leaves could reveal a lot. As in whether to move on to a different area? It might be nice to know which areas have already been frequently visited by other researchers. Because if one's own research isn't producing much it may be because of overlaps with someone's previous research time and effort? Don't know how that information could ever get passed on though.  

It is difficult to share any sort of information between groups, unfortunately.  We get constant questions from people with what I consider casual interest in the subject concerning the exact locations that we investigate. I usually give the state as an answer and leave it at that.  Most of them will never actually go out into the woods, but enough might that it could pollute the area.  If most people's idea of Bigfoot research didn't mainly consist of calls and wood knocks, then it might be different.  

I have toyed with the idea of trying to establish a network of independent researchers in my region...to share information and ideas.  The South doesn't get the same attention as the Pacific Northwest, but there seems to be lots of activity in the mountains from West Virginia on down.  

However, most of the people who are actually involved in field research are few and far between, as well as seem to already be BFRO members.  There is a lot of interest in the area, but most people limit their actual Bigfoot related activities to collecting Bigfoot knickknacks and posting unintelligible comments on Facebook Bigfoot groups.  

As far as the recording goes, we have been setting up a Zoom H4N Pro in different areas and then leaving it running while we look around.  The downside is that we are falling further and further behind on audio review.  It's so time consuming.  

• Upvote 2

Are you using spectrograms? I can offer some tips from lots of recording, and no I haven't listened to all of them. :music:

Edited by JKH
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JKH said:

Are you using spectograms? I can offer some tips from lots of recording, and no I haven't listened to all of them. :music:

I am not using spectrograms.

Audio/acoustics is one of the many topics of which I am woefully uneducated.  

If you can recommend a spectrogram program that would be extremely user friendly, I would be very interested in hearing more.

This is how I got started with it, it makes review so much faster and easier. It's truly enjoyable.

https://sasquatchbioacoustic.blogspot.com/2011/10/using-audacity-spectrograms-to-review.html

I've of course tailored it for my uses over time. For instance, I think I zoom in more than he suggests, necessary to catch more distant or soft sounds.

I record overnight, approximately 10 pm to 6 am. This works well for local drops and if I can find likely areas when traveling. Sometimes I will leave a device for multiple days if I need to. I feel that night recording rules out some other wildlife and potential human sounds, and it's when hairy folks are more active. Of course, depending on the area, day time may be as productive.

One has to listen to a lot of stuff, there's no way around it. You'll have to learn your areas' typical birds, canids, traffic, etc. Now I can scan files pretty quickly and dismiss a lot, saving just shorter clips. I include approximate time in the metadata area on those. I save by date and possible sound, like whoop or bang, etc. when I can.

This thread and Redbone are helpful, too.

https://bigfootforums.com/topic/57428-a-place-to-share-audio-files/

Back to topic, cool research video!

Edited by JKH
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JKH said:

This is how I got started with it, it makes review so much faster and easier. It's truly enjoyable.

https://sasquatchbioacoustic.blogspot.com/2011/10/using-audacity-spectrograms-to-review.html

I've of course tailored it for my uses over time. For instance, I think I zoom in more than he suggests, necessary to catch more distant or soft sounds.

I record overnight, approximately 10 pm to 6 am. This works well for local drops and if I can find likely areas when traveling. Sometimes I will leave a device for multiple days if I need to. I feel that night recording rules out some other wildlife and potential human sounds, and it's when hairy folks are more active. Of course, depending on the area, day time may be as productive.

One has to listen to a lot of stuff, there's no way around it. You'll have to learn your areas' typical birds, canids, traffic, etc. Now I can scan files pretty quickly and dismiss a lot, saving just shorter clips. I include approximate time in the metadata area on those. I save by date and possible sound, like whoop or bang, etc. when I can.

This thread and Redbone are helpful, too.

https://bigfootforums.com/topic/57428-a-place-to-share-audio-files/

Back to topic, cool research video!

Very much obliged!

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

The Spectographic analysis does seem to be the way forward for Vocals and Percussive sounds (whatever they may be) these days, to give some kind of validity as to what is actually being heard.

David Ellis is well worth a listen on his various podcast interviews if anyone wants to get educated a little more on it.

• Upvote 2

I use Audacity spectrogram and have found that a lot can go on in the background level "baseline." No BF sign just owls, coyotes and random creaks/knocks. That obviously means I need to listen to all of it if I want to be thorough. Maybe a more sensitive program would discern the more distant sounds. 

Thanks for the heads up Madison5716.  I tend to be pretty skeptical on audio evidence but dang.  The correlation with the vehicle exits are very compelling.

24 minutes ago, 1980squatch said:

Thanks for the heads up Madison5716.  I tend to be pretty skeptical on audio evidence but dang.  The correlation with the vehicle exits are very compelling.

Yep.

And not calling this guy a hoaxer, but this is about as easy of a thing to hoax as any of you really wanted to.

4 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Yep.

And not calling this guy a hoaxer, but this is about as easy of a thing to hoax as any of you really wanted to.

Yeah, but this is DRIFTLESS!! He guarantees 100% legit content!! While that could be a nice trope, I don't think we'd see hoaxing on his channel, seems like a sincere guy doing honest research. 

• Thanks 1