Emergency treatment

wiiawiwb

For years, I've carried either a PLB, satellite messenger, or both whenever I enter the woods. They've helped me feel more at ease in the event an unforeseen tragedy would befall me.  Sound the alarm and in comes the cavalry.

Maybe I'm a slow learner but it finally dawned on me there is a bad event that could incur in the field where failure to act before the time when SAR/EMS arrives could be life threatening. A deep cut.  Most of us probably carry a knife and it is likely very sharp. One bad slip because it is cold or wet or your hand is a bit greasy and we could end up profusely bleeding. The same goes if a branch above, which you didn't see, comes flying down, like a spear, due to a stiff breeze leaving a large gash in your head, arm, or leg. Those who are on blood thinners are at an increased risk.

I just recently got a QuickClot gauze pad that is 3"x3" and 12' long and is treated with kaolin to help stop the bleeding. It z-folds into something that is very compact and weighs less than an ounce.  I also got an Israeli bandage which can also be used to stop bleeding.  It weighs about 3oz.

I'd give consideration to having something with you that could stop the bleeding as it is something than can happen to all of us in the field.  Even if you can get to your vehicle quickly it still might be a long time before you could get emergency treatment.  

https://www.liveactionsafety.com/quikclot-combat-gauze-z-fold-expire-2023/

https://www.liveactionsafety.com/israeli-emergency-bandage-6/

• Upvote 1

This could be a cool stocking stuffer for yourself or a loved one who spends time in the woods.

Good thinking! 

I used the leftover balance on an HSA account years ago on a top quality med-kit for the car. It has a similar item packed in it (but it obviously doesn't leave the car).

I carry an Adventure Medical Sportsman 400 medical kit in my vehicle.  It's enough for 10 people for 14 days.  I want overkill for medical supplies.  I carry a smaller Adventure Medical kit with an added Quikclot Trauma Kit in my pack, along with a CAT tourniquet.  

If you are looking to get a Quikclot Trauma Kit to carry, I just found a vendor selling them for 17 bucks and change on Walmart.com with free shipping.  This usually run about 36 bucks.  It's well worth the cost to purchase and the size/weight to carry... especially if you are going out into remote areas alone.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Trauma-Pak-First-Aid-Kit-with-QuikClot-Sponge/21979854?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=16954

• Thanks 1

I too carry a PLB though it's past due for a battery replacement. My "trauma" kit consists of super maxi-pads and a medical tape I really like. Quikclot, would be a prudent addition. Thanks for the heads up guys. The one thing I've almost done several times is poke my eye out while bushwhacking a balsam thicket. I keep saying I'm going to bring my safety glasses but never do--VERY slow learner. That's how I assume I'll meet my demise out there, blindly wandering in circles through a tangle 50 miles from anywhere. Years ago I took a small gauge solid phone wire puncture to the eyeball, it shut down the uninjured one for quite awhile-- in sympathy I guess...

1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

I too carry a PLB though it's past due for a battery replacement. My "trauma" kit consists of super maxi-pads and a medical tape I really like. Quikclot, would be a prudent addition. Thanks for the heads up guys. The one thing I've almost done several times is poke my eye out while bushwhacking a balsam thicket. I keep saying I'm going to bring my safety glasses but never do--VERY slow learner. That's how I assume I'll meet my demise out there, blindly wandering in circles through a tangle 50 miles from anywhere. Years ago I took a small gauge solid phone wire puncture to the eyeball, it shut down the uninjured one for quite awhile-- in sympathy I guess...

Wire to the eye???

Damn, dude.

Those trauma kits that I posted are a great addition to your pack.  One of us carries a small Adventure Medical first aid kit and the other carries a trauma pack and tourniquet.  

The Quikclot gauze works so much better than the celox clotting powder... especially if you have a deep puncture or GSW.  It's hard to pack the wound with powder when blood is coming out.  

I carry a PLB, Quik Clot, a 5x9 xeroform sheet petroleum sheet that I was supposed to use on my chest stitches that I didn't, steri strips, and Celox hemostatic agent. I want a zip stitch package. I also have numerous 6 inch ace type bandages left over from my surgery, so I tossed one in, too. I'd like to do a wilderness first aid course, but they cost $400! As a childcare provider, I'm always CPR/first aid/AED certified. I want more QuikClot and a tourniquet.

Edited by Madison5716

Madison....thanks for the mention of Celox.  I looked at the Celox line and saw pretty good feedback on Celox Rapid so I bought it.  That gives me two zfold hemostatic gauze pads.

If something horrible happens in the hinterlands, I'm sure I'll wish I bought a few more. They're not nickels and dimes but they are a reasonable price to pay for peace of mind.