Cold-weather sasquatching

wiiawiwb

It goes without saying that warmer-climate outdoor adventures are a lot more enjoyable.  With that said, do you find any enjoyment going out in the woods looking for evidence when it is cold and maybe even snowy? I do and I'm heading out tomorrow for an overnight. Snow on the ground today and tomorrow-night lows around 23F. Actually not bad; maybe even balmy!

In the past, I've accepted that better times were long gone and I too should hunker down and endure Old Man Winter.  Not any more. Hunting season is over so there will be zero traffic in the woods.  It's time to get out there and look for prints. A light snow cover provides the perfect opportunity. I'm not sure that something might be willing to visit me at night but we'll see.

Anyone else looking forward to overnight cold-weather sasquatching and have you had any luck?

Adirondack-Winter-Vacation-Feature-2.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 4

15 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Anyone else looking forward to overnight cold-weather sasquatching and have you had any luck?

We went out last weekend and ended up in 10 inch deep snow at the top of the mountain road. My truck almost got stuck in 6 inch deep snow, thank goodness for 4wd and I parked and we walked up. But my tires are nearly bare and I desperately need new ones. I digress. I love winter and I detest summer. I like rain, mud, snow and stormy awesome weather. 

We are going back to where we went last weekend. It's snowed again in the meantime again up there, so who knows how deep it is now. I priced snow shoes, but they are expensive! I might go to REI and look anyway, and pre-spend Christmas gift money, LOL.

@wiiawiwb Is that YOUR photo?  ****, that's beautiful!

Haha. That picture was put there to underscore how beautiful being out in winter can be.  Here is an actual picture of Thursday night with less snow and no river running through it.  That said, where I go there is lots of water and a good example of what I do encounter when traipsing through the woods.

965207289_20201212_060628(002).jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I love being out in the woods in winter. Generally no one else is there save for the occasional small game hunter and animals feel more normal now that they aren't feeling the pressure of firearms season. I've not personally seen squatch signs before but this is a new to me area with previous reports so open to the possibility.

ETA: Forgot the best part of winter woods, venomous snakes are off in brumation.

Edited by SwiftWater
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Aye, but not to forget some states have various late seasons, archery, muzzle-loader, and firearm, too. If your state conducts said seasons, still a great idea to wear plenty of hunter orange while in the outdoors.

Timber Rattlers were living rent free in my head for about a month after having almost stepped on two of them this summer.  The purchase and use of snake gaiters and chaps along with new full-grain leather boots has evicted this unlawful tenant from my thoughts.

• Upvote 2