New BIgfoot Movie

SWWASAS

BFF Patron

Saw a new 2020 movie last night based on Pyles "Crossing the Dark Divide" book.    Fairly even handed accounting of his experiences in the book.     Movie is "Dark Divide" and available on Amazon.   I selected it because it was filmed in the GIfford Pinchot.     I didn't even know it was about the book until he found a footprint.   He was a raw rookie as far as back packing and lucky to have made it out alive in his 5 months looking for rare or new butterflies.     There was some footage filmed in lava tubes.   I wish I knew where they were.   Recommend the movie.    

Saw the trailer, kind of interesting David Cross is in it. I read Pyle's dark divide book a while ago. It's more of a meandering novel than a search for BF but still works.

Pyle's seminal work, Wintergreen: Rambles in a Ravaged Land describes the devastation caused by unrestrained logging as well as the remaining beauties of his adopted home in the Willapa Hills. His book Where Bigfoot Walks: Crossing the Dark Divide grew out of a Guggenheim Fellowship, and was a major component (along with Pyle's other books) for the 2020 feature film The Dark Divide starring David Cross as Pyle and Debra Messing as his wife Thea Linnaea Pyle. The Thunder Tree: Lessons from An Urban Wildland chronicles the intersection of his Aurora, Colorado, boyhood nature explorations and Colorado's long tradition of water rights battles with the importance of everyone's special places, especially children's. Both Wintergreen and The Thunder Tree exemplify Pyle's love of damaged lands.

I bought Wintergreen years ago and was enthralled, his wonderful nature writings are as you'd expect from the recognition. "Love of damaged lands" is apt. I still recall his anecdote in that book about his efforts to save a chunk of forest near his home, only to sadly find that he had identified something of value to the logging concerns and an acquaintance told him he'd done a free timber cruise. I read The Dark Divide, but at the time I didn't know much about the BF stuff and neither did he, maybe will have to reread.

Cliff and Bobo had both the director and Robert Pyle on in seperate episodes of the podcast. Worth a listen, especially Dr. Pile's episode.

• Upvote 1