How best to carry a sound recorder in the field

wiiawiwb

I have a sound recorder and will place it out a night to record while I sleep. I'll also have it with me at camp to instantly record something that occurs spontaneously.  What I haven't figured out is how to have the sound recorder with me while I'm hiking or moving about in the woods and be able to trigger it.

I've thought about rigging it to the underside of a chest pack that I wear. I also considered having it connected to a backpack shoulder strap. Both locations would allow me to turn the recorder on.  One other spot was to have it on the back side of the top lid on my backpack. Essentially, behind and away from me. I couldn't reach it so it would have to be turned on while active. I thought this location offered the best chance of eliminating sounds of me breathing or fiddling with something in my hands.

Any recommendations about how/where to best rig a sound recorder to have it at the ready, while hiking/moving about in the woods, to capture that special moment when it happens.

I'm working on the same issue. I have not settled on a solution yet, but go to amazon and search for Backpack strap pouches and several different options will come up. I think something similar to a tourniquet pouch might work.

I actually just ordered this for my H4N Pro.

H4N Pro case

Zoom makes an OEM case, but the attachment point doesn't seem to have as many options as this version.  

My plan is to try and attach it to the top rear of my pack with a windsock and just run it non-stop.  

I picked up a small digital recorder that is the perfect size to go into a MOLLE strap...like it was built for that. I am going to carry it in my HPG kit bag next to my action cam so I continually have a recorder running on my person.  Just need to figure out optimal placement.

Evister digital recorder

Also picked up a couple of all weather notebooks to have handy so we can keep notes on the exact time of any audio evidence.  It will be crucial to keep better notes to aid with audio review since I will have multiple recorders going.  That's gonna be a lot of audio to review.

I don't have any good ideas about how to carry them around, so I never do. Learned that humans are generally too noisy, so I drop and go. Sorry no help, I know some people do hear vocals, etc. when mobile.

Just fyi, my probably crude method for notes in Audacity is knowing the start time of files, so when I save a clip, I note the time in the comments. This method works for me generally recording around 8-10 pm until dawn. Of course, it won't work for all situations, but maybe making note of start times will make less work, as each recorder has set file times. Hope that makes sense.

A few days ago, I ordered an inexpensive molle pouch (7"Hx4"Wx3"D) that I will put my SONY recorder in. I should be able to attach it to the backside of the top of my backpack using Seek Outside gatekeeper straps which can be attached almost anywhere. 

We'll see how secure it is as the first order of business is to not lose the recorder. Next, is to see what level of background noise it generates as I'm heading down the trail. I'll report back but not sure I'll give it a good workout until April.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

A few days ago, I ordered an inexpensive molle pouch (7"Hx4"Wx3"D) that I will put my SONY recorder in. I should be able to attach it to the backside of the top of my backpack using Seek Outside gatekeeper straps which can be attached almost anywhere. 

We'll see how secure it is as the first order of business is to not lose the recorder. Next, is to see what level of background noise it generates as I'm heading down the trail. I'll report back but not sure I'll give it a good workout until April.

I'm giving my Zoom case a try out this weekend.

Seems well made and should do a decent job of protecting it from the elements. It has a removable microphone cover, as well as a belt loop and velcro straps on the back.  Going to experiment with placement on my pack this weekend.  

KIMG1173.JPG

KIMG1174.JPG

KIMG1175.JPG

KIMG1176.JPG

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Wow, that is really nice. Custom made for your recorder.  How do you plan to affix it to your pack?

Probably going to lash it with paracord through the loop on the pack.  

I do need to experiment with placement.  The plan is to run this sucker non-stop.  I picked up a windshield for the external microphones yesterday.  The next couple of weeks will be for experimenting with the best setup.  

Heading out tomorrow with a friend to a favorite pond to look for footprints. Recently, it's been cold and will be below freezing all day today and tomorrow so any footprints that are there will stay there.  I haven't received a case pouch that was ordered for the SONY but will figure some way to jerry-rig the voice recorder to my pack.

There will be lots of background noise from both of us with snow crunching beneath our feet. Hopefully, I can remove that background noise in Audacity without removing a wanted sound. Maybe my friend can do a whoop from a distance as I walk to see if it removes only the snow crunching and not the whoop! Trials and tribulations of sasquatching!!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Heading out tomorrow with a friend to a favorite pond to look for footprints. Recently, it's been cold and will be below freezing all day today and tomorrow so any footprints that are there will stay there.  I haven't received a case pouch that was ordered for the SONY but will figure some way to jerry-rig the voice recorder to my pack.

There will be lots of background noise from both of us with snow crunching beneath our feet. Hopefully, I can remove that background noise in Audacity without removing a wanted sound. Maybe my friend can do a whoop from a distance as I walk to see if it removes only the snow crunching and not the whoop! Trials and tribulations of sasquatching!!

I feel you on that snow.

Leaves on the ground here... that's all you can hear when we move.

The case that I listed above works well, both to carry as well as protect your Zoom. 

The only thing that I need to work out is...you need to lock the controls for the Zoom when you put it into the case, since the clear plastic front can activate the buttons at random.

For those of you with a Zoom, you know that the lock button is also the power button.  When your fingers are numbed by the cold, it's easy to mistakenly power the unit off and lose your current recording.  Which is exactly what happened to me.  Luckily, it was just a test run and we had not heard anything in this outing.