100% Wool Anoraks

norseman

They look like quality-made gear.  I particularly like the Manic model.

There has been the wool vs synthetic debate since a choice was available. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I've chosen the synthetic path although I do wear thin merino next to my skin (top and bottom) in winter.

• Thanks 1

I've looked at anoraks a few times over the years and while I don't think much of pulling on a 1/4 zipper turtleneck fleece, the bulk of a heavy wool pullover seemed inconvenient. Probably work great though. A shame they use velcro closures on the pockets for some versions, Snaps or riveted buttons for me--yeah you have to pull off your gloves but still-- they hold up.

I have a few Winter set-ups that are activity dependent--sheddable layers for uphill climbs-smartwool base+wool/poly shirt+fleece pullover+fleece vest and a fly fishing wading jacket shell for the pockets and short waist to access items on my belt easily ie holster. A Tin cloth packer coat with wool liner for lollygagging bushwhacks at around 32F. My favorite type really, walk a few hundred yards, stop look listen for a bit, continue, repeat.  That coat is like armor, pretty sure it would prevent impalement if I went down on a branch stub crossing a war zone of blowdowns. I picked up an LLBean Maine mountain parka at half price from their outlet this Winter, down filled and rated at -45f w/ moderate activity. That thing is awesome for cold weather maundering about below 15F, too hot to uphill for long periods but great for the "stakeout." Pockets are a tad small but functional.

• Upvote 1

I’m a big fan of wool. It has saved my life mule packing in Idaho. A Filson double mackinaw packer coat. And wool bibs. I was freakin cold, but I lived. I was at 10,000 ft with 3 mules and a dog in October. It was well minus. Cottonwood butte.

Im not a fan of any modern material that burns over or around a fire. A fire is a necessity in the back country. Space and weight is limited packing mules. Plus you still have to get your Elk or Deer out. Firewood is free and plentiful. If I’m camping out of a rig? Then fire isn’t required. But even then in a survival situation your gonna light a fire if you cannot get back to base camp.

Tin cloth is great stuff to keep you dry. Most loggers wear it here. Keep it oiled and it will last years. But when it’s cold cold tin will freeze and get stiff. 

B05D29DF-176A-4E2B-9DBD-E62D6B388428.png

56 minutes ago, norseman said:

I’m a big fan of wool. It has saved my life mule packing in Idaho. A Filson double mackinaw packer coat. And wool bibs. I was freakin cold, but I lived. I was at 10,000 ft with 3 mules and a dog in October. It was well minus. Cottonwood butte.

Im not a fan of any modern material that burns over or around a fire. A fire is a necessity in the back country. Space and weight is limited packing mules. Plus you still have to get your Elk or Deer out. Firewood is free and plentiful. If I’m camping out of a rig? Then fire isn’t required. But even then in a survival situation your gonna light a fire if you cannot get back to base camp.

Tin cloth is great stuff to keep you dry. Most loggers wear it here. Keep it oiled and it will last years. But when it’s cold cold tin will freeze and get stiff. 

10,000' in Oct sounds chilly! Those double mackinaws are nice coats, can even do monthly payments on them now...Thanks Filson.

I do like that about the tin cloth--good stuff fireside. And yeah, tin cloth makes you a rusty tin man in the really cold stuff, I don't bother.

I've had it 13-14 years now, almost broken in. Re-applied oil a few times, the last, a month or so ago after a heavy soaking rain in the Fall. Some water made it through. This time round I treated both layers which I'd not done in the past.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, norseman said:

Filson makes some beautiful stuff that is time tested.

The importance we place on tradeoffs is what helps us decide which the of two materials we choose.  You mentioned a good tradeoff--fire. No question it will melt synthetic and I can attest to it. You have to more careful around fire. That speaks in favor of wool. 

Getting wet, however it happens, especially drenched, for me speaks in favor of synthetic. Wool holds moisture a bit longer than fleece. If I tumble into a creek in cold weather, I have a chance if I can get my fleece off and slap it repeatedly against a tree.  Most of the moisture will be gone and a small fire should dry it out completely. For me, that speaks in favor of synthetic. 

There is no right or wrong but the moisture issue is my most important so that's why I've gravitated in the direction I have.

Man made fleece dries out faster. But wool retains its heat retention even when wet. I’ve never jumped in a lake with my filson. But I’ve been in some bad snow storms. Knocking off several inches on the brim of my cowboy hat as I rode on. The red plaid was white with wet snow and it kept me warm.

https://weatherwool.com/pages/the-science-of-wool

• Upvote 1

If you want some nice long underwear, the Minus33 expedition weigh pants and tops are WARM. Love it!

I only wear Darn Tough socks now, though I might try a bison wool pair and there was a Finnish wool sock that looked interesting. I'll see if i can find the links.

https://thebuffalowoolco.com/collections/rtw-socks/products/trekker-bison-merino-boot-socks-preorder

https://www.sweaterchalet.com/dachstein-woolwear/dw-merino-socks/#cc-m-product-12523009631

I'm a huge wool fan. Everything gets wet in Oregon, but wool retains it's warmth.

@norseman Good heavens, that stuff is expensive! Yowza!

Edited by Madison5716
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madison5716 said:

If you want some nice long underwear, the Minus33 expedition weigh pants and tops are WARM. Love it!

I only wear Darn Tough socks now, though I might try a bison wool pair and there was a Finnish wool sock that looked interesting. I'll see if i can find the links.

https://thebuffalowoolco.com/collections/rtw-socks/products/trekker-bison-merino-boot-socks-preorder

https://www.sweaterchalet.com/dachstein-woolwear/dw-merino-socks/#cc-m-product-12523009631

I'm a huge wool fan. Everything gets wet in Oregon, but wool retains it's warmth.

@norseman Good heavens, that stuff is expensive! Yowza!

Its VIRGIN!!! 😉

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Madison--Bless your heart.  I have a pair of these Dachstein socks bought a dozen years ago and was looking to get another pair but couldn't remember where I got them. Thank you, now I know.  I did remember they were boiled wool because I once bought a boiled-wool sweater that was almost too warm to wear. I don't know whether the socks I have are 3 or 4 ply but they're crazy warm.

I bet their 4-ply,  boiled-wool mittens with a goretex shell over them (which I already have) would be a perfect combination for sub 10F weather.

Mittens

The same can be said of their 4-ply caps for very cold weather:

Wool cap

You've unknowingly helped me blow a large hole in my budget. The GoPro 9 will have to wait until my wallet is off life support!

1202793340_Dachsteinwoolsocks.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

You've unknowingly helped me blow a large hole in my budget.

It's one of my many talents. I do that to me, too.

• Upvote 2