Color Printer

wiiawiwb

I print customized topo maps for the areas I go to. That way I can focus the maps on certain areas. My printer is a black and white, high-speed laser printer so you never get the benefit of color.  I've never owned nor used a color printer so I'm not sue how to select one.

I'm considering a color printer whose sole purpose will be to print out topo maps. That's it. The paper size doesn't need to be anything larger than an 8 1/2" x 11". 

Can anyone recommend one?

BFF Patron

I have an Epson ET2750 color printer.     It uses ink reservours instead of cartridges.   That so far has saved a lot of money compared with those that use color cartidges that tend to dry out since they are not used as much as the black ink.     It is about 3 yearrs old and still using the original load of black ink and colored ink.     I would recommend it just because of the reliability of getting rid of the cartridges.   .    

We use an HP9015 wireless printer. It has been very durable. So far has lived through 3 people printing everything from maps to a dissertation and it has even printed wrapping paper (why my son thought that was a great idea is unknown to me) and it hasn't jammed or given us weird error messages. If I'm remembering correctly setting it up was simple. 

I do like the idea of avoiding ink cartridges because we have dried out the color cartridges (well, before the wrapping paper incident). Would imagine that is more economical that cartridges which seem to only get more expensive over time even though the cost of printers has dropped significantly.

I have had Canon printers.  No dried out cartridges. Cartridge changing is clean and painless.  Canon ink is expensive.  My current unit is several years old and is a 'combo' model. It scans, copies and can print on both sides. Never jams. It has 6 ink tank$. 2 blacks, 1 normal and 1 ex large. 

If you are going to print topo maps or Google Earth images with a green background, you will be buying a lot of ink.  

Another factor to research is your anticipated ownership time and compatibility with operating systems.

Admin
21 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Can anyone recommend one?

I can tell you from experience, Do Not buy a Brother inkjet printer.

Sorry, that's not really my specialty.   When it comes to peripherals and home computing, "I have people for that."  :)  

I would look at dots per inch and number of color shades, plus check reviews.   If I were buying one myself I'd probably go in to Best Buy or Costco and ask for demos ... maybe take a flash drive with an image I wanted to print rather than the one they want to show me.

Regarding maps, another consideration might be to find a local print shop that also does laminating if you're not printing too many sheets.   If you're doing that, maybe consider having some waypoints marked simply on front with their GPS coordinates on the back so you have some reference points.