Looking for Bigfoot in Open Areas

Believer57

Hi,

I was wondering why field researchers are going to all these extreme remote locations in the Pacific Northwest to look for Bigfoot when they are showing up in every state, at people’s houses, and simply crossing an open cut line in the woods…sometimes during daytime! They show up in much warmer climates than trekking through Nordegg in the winter months. So, why do we go so far into the wilderness to find Bigfoot when they come to us in the open fields or just over a hill?

Granted, not all researchers do this. For example, the NAWAC uses a designated location, like Area X, and has a much better climate to work with. I linked some videos below as examples of Bigfoot coming out in an open area. Is it pure luck? Is it simply where the researcher lives? Is it better to use long range viewing devices during the day than tree knocks or howls during the night?

I welcome your comments and experiences... 

Possible Bigfoot? 1-28-2021

The Sinks Sasquatch

Lone Peak Bigfoot Video

Rocky Mountain Bigfoot Footage from 1962

• Upvote 1

On rare occasions, bull sharks have been found a fair distance north of the Gulf, in the Mississippi River. Let's say you desperately wanted to hook a bull shark using fishing tackle. Would you cast your line 100 miles upstream from the mouth of the Mississippi? Or would you cast your line where the river converges with the Gulf of Mexico?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There have been two sightings involving road crossings here over the past few months.  Both in areas that have been developed over the past few years.  We went and scouted them out, but won't spend any time on actual research there.

Why?  Because if the sightings are legitimate, then this was obviously a case of a creature just passing through.  If they lived in that area, there would be continual and constant sightings based upon the human population density.

Going deeper into the woods also cuts down on the possibility of human interference.  

As far as knocks and howls at night...I can't speak for others here but I don't do that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Believer57 said:

So, why do we go so far into the wilderness to find Bigfoot when they come to us in the open fields or just over a hill?

Better quality.   I'm not part of the "us" that bigfoot comes to in open fields.    The interactions I've had in more populated places have been very tenuous / ambiguous.   Those I've had out in deep woods tend to be less ambiguous.    Why?   I think because they feel safer and more in control "out there."

Even if that were not the case, I LIKE wilderness, like getting away from people.    In a very real sense, bigfoot is an additional benefit but not often the main purpose for being out there.

MIB

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, MIB said:

Better quality.   I'm not part of the "us" that bigfoot comes to in open fields.    The interactions I've had in more populated places have been very tenuous / ambiguous.   Those I've had out in deep woods tend to be less ambiguous.    Why?   I think because they feel safer and more in control "out there."

Even if that were not the case, I LIKE wilderness, like getting away from people.    In a very real sense, bigfoot is an additional benefit but not often the main purpose for being out there.

MIB

What he said.  

Thanks for the feedback!  The consensus seems to be that you get better quality interactions when you enter the "Dark Divide" or an area that they pass through.

I guess that my point was more in obtaining long-range camera lens photos and video on a tripod in an open area that is not in the creatures strength. Perhaps even a long range rifle shot! No trees to hide behind. But I have no field experience in the matter and no hunting experience. Just trying to understand why people stick to certain methods.

Edited by Believer57

10 minutes ago, Believer57 said:

Thanks for the feedback!  The consensus seems to be that you get better quality interactions when you enter the "Dark Divide" or an area that they pass through.

I guess that my point was more in obtaining long-range camera lens photos and video on a tripod in an open area that is not in the creatures strength. Perhaps even a long range rifle shot! No trees to hide behind. But I have no field experience in the matter and no hunting experience. Just trying to understand why people stick to certain methods.

Pure conjecture on my part... but, they probably avoid open areas instinctively.  They are obviously very stealthy or we would have more evidence of their existence.  

They seem to travel across more open areas occasionally, because trackways have been found in the open before.  But, they seem to spend the majority of their time in covered areas.  

Those open area crossings are probably the exception to the rule.  

• Upvote 1

My own philosophy centers around what is best for animals that live in the wild. In other words, what is the best thing to not scare them away from food or the territories they call hone no matter how small or large their activity radius happens to be. If the Sasquatch is the apex predator that some seem to think it is then it's presence may cause local fauna to experience stress. If tree knocking and howling is a practice of the Hairy Gut which would seem to be the case then that kind of activity would stress animals even more, especially prey animals.

Having said that, I stick to trails and stay out of remote habitats and refrain from bushwhacking. I also think a lack of Human presence in remote areas may cause Bigfoot to seek us out rather than the other way around. The result could be more local encounters as the BF's own stress level comes down. If they are curious about Humans then I have no doubt they will come to us and maybe even more often. The wilder habitats belong to the animals and BF and I feel better when I respect that. There are enough reports and sightings of BF's around Humans without going and seeking them out. So I them eat, breed, and raise their young without my presence creating a smaller world for them than they already have.

Edited by hiflier

For the same reason why most researchers don't spend much time looking for evidence in southern New England. Any Sasquatches reported from the area, and there are a few, more than likely do not constitute a resident population. 

I was up in South County Rhode Island over the Summer visiting my parents with my fiance. My fiance and I were outside around sun set when we both heard a loud, deep bellow similar to the Bigfoot calls that Bobo makes on the Finding Bigfoot program. We both found the sound intriguing even though it most probably had a human origin. 

The area where my parents live is heavily wooded, so presumably a Bigfoot could pass through the area temporarily. The BFRO lists four reports from Rhode Island. But I highly doubt there is a resident Sasquatch population in Rhode Island or anywhere else in southern New England. Any Sasquatches sighted in Rhode Island, assuming the reports are genuine, are almost certainly passing though the area temporarily. Perhaps coming down from Maine or one of the more heavily forested northern New England states. 

Edited by Wooly Booger
  • Upvote 1

I suspect that human population growth pushes a sasquatch deeper into the remote areas. That said, I also suspect that in today's world that fewer people stray from the trail and go into those inner recesses of hard-to-access places. I'm only referencing my experience so this is merely anecdotal.

If a sasquatch decides it wants to observe humans at night, it can venture closer to civilization and the choose the campsite residents of its choice to observe. Why take the chance?  Why not choose those who stray into its world where it can settle nearby and watch-- on its terms and on its home field that it knows like the back of its hand?

It's only a guess but I think a sasquatch would feel far more comfortable and get much closer to someone way out where others don't go, or never stay at night. The curiosity factor has to be through the roof. The closer it is willing to come, the better the chance of getting a sound recording or picking it up on thermal.

I agree completely with Hiflier that going deeper does infringe on its territory and it does bother me a hair. I'm consoled knowing that even though I do, I know that few if any are going there especially at night.

Maybe a sasquatch gets tired of talking with the misses every night and enjoys stray entertainment once in a while! I'm glad I can help!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

I agree completely with Hiflier that going deeper does infringe on its territory and it does bother me a hair. I'm consoled knowing that even though I do, I know that few if any are going there especially at night.

One person in remote Sasquatch territory is too many,. Think about it, what if it was you who wanted the safety of a remote area for you and your family and a stranger showed up? What would be your first reaction? And not just a stranger but a completely different kind of stranger? Day or night?

When the Olympic Project found the first nesting site it was apparently active as a couple of nests still had fresh greenery attached. What happened? And then the recent discovery last year with nests half constructed. What happened? Shane Corson said he heard what sounded like something bipedal walk away as he approached. He suspected that he had interrupted the nest building activity. I really doubt anything went back after that intrusion. We need to learn and understand this, especially since the lesson is so recent. If after this someone is bothered a hair, just think how bothered the Sasquatch is, or any other animal for that matter.

I don't mean to be harsh or critical here, but there comes a point where our own sensitivity to Nature needs to be rebooted.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Environment forces adaptation. In areas like the PNW, Appalachia, the Kettle, theres a ton of scrub brush, dense laurel patches, greenbriar, etc. Right of ways and cut lines become wildlife highways almost immediately. Cut lines and right of ways open up some prime understory growing areas with mulitple food sources like berries, sweet grass, and flowers. Those sources are not only prime for sasquatch but also prime for protein sources that will be eating them. So this creates an area that serves 2 purposes, easy transit, food supply. Valley crossings are a different story, could be multiple reasons for that. Assuming that these creatures are as opportunistic as we are they likely will take advantage of anything that makes thier rugged life styles a little easier. 

Theoretically you could set up long range optics and sit and observe these more open areas but odds of capturing a glimpse of of something while remaining static are slim. If there was a way to set a camera with a long range lense and just let it set out in the wilderness and not be stolen it could be a plausable way to capture an image. But those lenses are not cheap, nor the camera they are attached too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hiflier said:

One person in remote Sasquatch territory is too many,. Think about it, what if it was you who wanted the safety of a remote area for you and your family and a stranger showed up? What would be your first reaction? And not just a stranger but a completely different kind of stranger? Day or night?

I don't mean to be harsh or critical here, but there comes a point where our own sensitivity to Nature needs to be rebooted.

What solution do you propose?

Edited by wiiawiwb

4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

What solution do you propose?

18 hours ago, hiflier said:

Having said that, I stick to trails and stay out of remote habitats and refrain from bushwhacking. I also think a lack of Human presence in remote areas may cause Bigfoot to seek us out rather than the other way around. The result could be more local encounters as the BF's own stress level comes down. If they are curious about Humans then I have no doubt they will come to us and maybe even more often.

Utilize the thousands of trails, forestry roads, and secondary roads that already run through habitats, and the thousands of already established primitive campsites. Many already do this and still there are sighting reports and encounters of all kinds day and night. How many times have people said they weren't ready for that perfect photo or video, or even audio, when their encounters occurred, or that road crossing happened. But if they were, then we'd have tons of images and videos just form people being in normal places. A footprint along a road or trail is just as good as one three miles in. No remote footprints, and they are indeed found, has led to proof so far. Those prints say the same thing as prints that are more local- that a BF was there but is no longer.

And then active areas that are newly discovered go dormant. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put all of this together with the experiences at the nesting sites to figure out what's going on. The common denominator is that our presence isn't appreciated. even areas that people say are continually active and shows signs of presence haven't produced much of anything. I truly think that deep research into habitat is counterproductive. A recent study miles into remote locations north of British Columbia deployed hundreds of camera traps over many square kilometers and caught just about every animal one could thing of- except the one we're interested in. I will bring in some data and maps on that in a little while. I'd also like to talk more about the purpose of the study.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is a very big country with very few, very shy BFs to find.  Spotting one in the open is on par with winning the lottery.  On the other hand, if you know where to look you can improve your chances immeasurably.  They need water, areas with low human population density but high game density, and large areas to roam.  The problem is these areas are the hardest to reach.  But if you want to experience a BF, going to these spots is the best way to do it.