Recurring Conditions.

JJW

I’m sure we are all aware of certain constants when it comes to this elusive fellow, but one more perceived constant seems the elavations, at least in the US. Seems they like to be in the range ( roughly) between 4 to 5 thousand feet. Am I wrong about this? Has anyone else noticed this?

Not sure what you are getting at. Are you saying that if they have a choice between 1,000' and 12,000', they choose 4,000'-5,000'?  What if they are in an area that has mountains no higher than 5,000?  Do you believe they'd choose to be at the upper end of the elevation?

I think they are where the food is or is going and are certain to have ready access to higher terrain, if needed.

Edited by wiiawiwb

I am not sure that elevation is a constant with these creatures. Like Wiiawiwb has pointed out it would depend more on where the food source would be.

SSR Team
13 hours ago, JJW said:

I’m sure we are all aware of certain constants when it comes to this elusive fellow, but one more perceived constant seems the elavations, at least in the US. Seems they like to be in the range ( roughly) between 4 to 5 thousand feet. Am I wrong about this? Has anyone else noticed this?

What are you basing your observation and subsequent post on ?

I ask as i saw one in South Florida and i get the feeling that hadn't been above 4-5 hundred feet in its life let alone 4-5 thousand !

Concur with others that they are in every habitat on this continent, which include elevations from sea level on up. Of course, access to food is the main thing, and probable approach/avoidance of humans secondary. Seasonal patterns have been observed, especially in rural areas, and their interactions with humans have been sources of much conflict. They aren't all "mountain monsters", although they can be, and some humans may prefer that story.

5 hours ago, JKH said:

Concur with others that they are in every habitat on this continent, which include elevations from sea level on up. Of course, access to food is the main thing, and probable approach/avoidance of humans secondary. Seasonal patterns have been observed, especially in rural areas, and their interactions with humans have been sources of much conflict. They aren't all "mountain monsters", although they can be, and some humans may prefer that story.

Correction, access to water is the main thing.  Remember, they cannot carry it with them.  They can hike a few miles, kill a deer, and easily bring it back to the family.

Ok, seems my estimate would be wrong. The experiences and reports I have observed were at about the same medium elavations. About 41k to 5 k above sea level. Just discussing guys. Thanks for the info. And actually, now that I think about it, my only real personal experiences happened out on the Oregon coast. Just a few hundred feet. Just looking for patterns. This one is a bust. More homework, right? Lol. Thanks for you guys input. 

• Upvote 1

JJW,

The key, should you care to look deeper, is to find a correlation between factors.  Someone recently pointed out to me a correlation in Texas sightings and rainfall.  I have seen posts/threads on here w/seasonal correlations in the Pac NW or OP.  Being in the northeast US, I have not found any correlations per se, but I have found some interesting patterns.

Be careful though, this is like going into the CDC in the Walking Dead.  Once you start down the path of looking for correlations, you can't go back.

3 minutes ago, Trogluddite said:

this is like going into the CDC in the Walking Dead

Hysterical. Zombie on a slab surrounded by labcoats, pocket protectors, eyeglasses with white tape, and clipboards. Pinch me now.....

Okay, okay, YES, it's a slow day in hiflierville today.