VDEG 4.1a- Everything You Need To Know For Your Backcountry BF Expedition

Kiwakwe

Refrain from storing it is an enclosed space. When gas in a container is in a hot environment it expands and wants to vent out. It's the trapped fumes that have vented that can become a problem. Ventilation is your friend. If it must go in a closed trunk then somehow keeping the container under 60 degrees (in a cooler?) on very hot days might be the way to go. I would assume that a gas mix would be different but not by much. My understanding is that gas vapors begin to pressurize at around 50 degrees F. Info on the web is pretty easy to find, then you can make a judgement call regarding summer temps vs. storage in closed spaces.

One thing about gasoline, it has a low flash point so that even on very cold days it will burn. On the flip side it has a very high self ignition point, something over 500 degrees F. But it isn't the liquid that is the danger, it's the fumes. So either keep it cool or allow for ventilation.

Why thank you sir, coolers are cheap so one designated to be used only for gas transport wouldn't be expensive. I would also think ice packs would be better than cubed or block ice. As an added note, I carry a cooler with block ice into the field this time of year just in case I am fortunate enough to get snow samples that I wish to keep from melting until I can get them into a small manually defrosting freezer.

Transporting various fuels like propane and gas inside a closed up cabin has high risk factors.  I can't remember what vehicle that you use.  A roof rack cargo carrier may interfere with your clearance and is a big windage drag. Vehicles that have a receiver type trailer hitch have options in cargo racks / cargo boxes.  Please vent to atmosphere in your transport method.

I'd argue that a good brand of battery chainsaw with 2 batteries would be far more convenient to deal with than a good gas saw. But if you feel gas is the way you want to go, Stihl or Husky, if they are still made to the same quality mine is. it's 27 years old, I've replaced the chain a couple of times, and pull start mechanism. It's done a lot of work and without fail, it starts--even after sitting with unstabilized fuel for 6-10 months.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

I'd argue that a good brand of battery chainsaw with 2 batteries would be far more convenient to deal with than a good gas saw. But if you feel gas is the way you want to go, Stihl or Husky, if they are still made to the same quality mine is. it's 27 years old, I've replaced the chain a couple of times, and pull start mechanism. It's done a lot of work and without fail, it starts--even after sitting with unstabilized fuel for 6-10 months.

That’s where I am with it.  When I went to get a small gas powered chainsaw, my FIL suggested going the electric route.  

The spare battery was not cheap…but, a lot of that was due to the fact that I wanted to get a higher capacity battery.  

For removing downed trees and getting your vehicle out… these electric models are perfect.  Half the forest would need to come down before I ran out of battery power.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:56 PM, Catmandoo said:

Transporting various fuels like propane and gas inside a closed up cabin has high risk factors.  I can't remember what vehicle that you use.  A roof rack cargo carrier may interfere with your clearance and is a big windage drag. Vehicles that have a receiver type trailer hitch have options in cargo racks / cargo boxes.  Please vent to atmosphere in your transport method.

I can't disagree with you about this but am not sure what the alternatives are. Don't lithium-ion batteries, including the mega-size ones used with a chainsaw, present their own safety challenges when left in a hot car?

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/290375/dangerous-to-store-jump-starter-power-bank-in-car-when-outside-temperatures-peak

Edited by wiiawiwb

Yes, lithium batteries can be difficult to deal with. Preventing them from being baked in a vehicle is a challenge. Outside storage in the shade may not be feasible for persons who leave their vehicles unattended when they go on epic hikes.  I like the advertisements for explosion resistant / fire resistant pouches that are sold for recharging Lithium batteries. There is a range of sizes / capacities on electric chainsaw batteries. My Makita chainsaw takes two of the batteries (36V) that work in the cordless tool group.  They are 5.0Ah, 18 volt. The batteries are stored separately until the saw is going to be used. The battery charger is huge and fan cooled.

I am not in a hot climate. The rule of thumb for lithium battery storage is a temperature between 32 and 80. That range can be difficult to maintain.

hiflier has many ideas. Perhaps he may know how to run a piezoelectric cooler from a solar panel(s) for secure, in vehicle storage while you are away on your hike.

Heat kills batteries but that is what the manufacturers want us to do so we buy more expensive batteries.

I have two LiFePO4 power banks. They are safer than Lipo power banks, can tolerate higher ambient temps and should last longer. I do not have enough cycles on them to make conclusions on the operational capabilities.

I have not looked at RV websites to check for special storage / coolers. Might be worth some research time as in RV sites in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Rockies and possibly  California.

Coolers revisited.  I have a Coleman Xtreme 5 day cooler. It works well.  I put my ice into the cooler with food, including submarine sandwiches. I buy sandwiches with tomato slices. Cover the cooler with an aluminum skinned UV window shade. 5 days later, the tomato slices are cold and crunchy. Looks like the Xtreme coolers are about a dollar per quart capacity and the smallest that I have seen are 50 quarts. It is a big foot print inside of a vehicle. It has enough volume for chainsaw batteries, power banks and jump start packs -----  without ice.

The inside of a vehicle can get well over 100 degrees in the summer, depending on your location and altitude. Figure 4% more ultraviolet light for every 1,000 feet of altitude.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

23 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

I have not looked at RV websites to check for special storage / coolers. Might be worth some research time as in RV sites in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Rockies and possibly  California.

I forgot about Australia. ARB units are impressive. There is the power supply question. They are spendy.

My basic answer regarding coolers was in reference to storing gas or a gas mix in a hot trunk during transport, so not really looking at the problem of keeping batteries cool. My own purposes for needing to keep a cooler at freezing or below are different, even in winter. I cover the top with a multi-folded white sheet to provide more insulation to the lid and help reflect sunlight. Also, block ice is better than bags or freeze packs when extended use is needed.