Who has a Dash Cam?

Huntster

Who Has a Dash Cam?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A significant percentage of sightings are from vehicles traveling on highways and back roads. In fact, they may very well be a better sasquatch video investment than a game cam. In addition to possibly capturing a video of a sasquatch, a dash cam can save your bacon in legal disputes involving vehicular accidents, and they can provide the authorities with evidence in other events on the highway. They even record audio when you get stopped by police and are initially questioned from the drivers seat. You might even be able to sell videos to news agencies. 

This poll is to satisfy my curiosity on the potential percentage of people out there with dash cams. Please click the appropriate answer.

• Upvote 1

It's a good idea to have for a recording a road crossing. One never knows. It's also good to document an accident or other issues in front of you.

I've had one for several years in my daily driver/softroader, and intend to get one soon for my H3 offroader.

I don't have one. Occasionally, I stick the camera out of the window and hold it with the gimbal looking backwards. During the non-rainy season, the lens gets dusty pretty quick. Maybe an inside mount would be better. If you decide to get one, remember there is the reviewing of possibly hours of recordings each trip. Something to keep in mind.

I use an old Flip video device which I've had for years. Maximum video recording time of two hours. It has a pop-out USB feature and is supposedly design to upload directly to YouTube but I never use it for that. The 1/4 thread mounts onto a neoprene threaded screw that I have secured to a flat round magnetic base. On good days I stick it right on the hood of the truck. I still need to figure out a way to mount it on the dash inside because of all the plastic surfaces. Nothing to stick to. It has audio as well. I also have a clip for mounting the phone camera onto a tripod.

I've gotten hooked on the dashcam youtube channels, and used them extensively to educate my teens on driving. I've been wanting dashcams for years now and the quality these days is so high for a relatively low price point, there's no excuse for me not having them in my vehicles. That's just for normal daily driving reasons too, not even touching cryptid evidence capturing reasons.

Having once when driving to camp, or on the hills around camp? That's a no brainer.

I have one. However, most of them on the market are wide lenses, so unless whatever you capture is right in front of you, it probably won't do any good. This summer I had a pretty good sized black bear run across the road in front of me and a lynx too (same trip, different times) I was so excited because I got them on dashcam.

When I got home and watched it, I could barely see the bear and couldn't see the lynx at all. I was pretty bummed. I still keep it running when I'm cruising around, just in case, but I don't put much faith in capturing a good image.

On 3/2/2021 at 6:07 AM, NorthWind said:

Occasionally, I stick the camera out of the window and hold it with the gimbal looking backwards.

That's a pretty risky maneuver so I did some checking...back to the 70s. 

I couldn't find evidence of you holding a camera in such a manner BUT, I did find evidence that you were David Hasselhoff's stunt double. So that must have been pretty cool.

nw4.jpg

• Upvote 1

There were other places that were itchier. The cloak was wool. Now imagine the boxers. 

And no plans for a dash cam, either, to keep the thread on topic.

You really had things clicking in the 70s.  Though, K.I.T.T. must have had a low resolution dash cam at that time.

nw2.jpg

nw1.jpg

Working with him was a pain. There was another guy who was a double as well. I used to argue with the other double about me not wanting to be bothered doing a scene and he would fight back and try to get me to do it. You could say it was a David hassle-off. One of us would eventually do the scene, then rush off camera to get away from him. And hence the name "dash cam" was born.