Flir TK Scout

BeansBaxter78

Anyone have an issue with the Flir TK Scout? I cannot get my computer to recognize it to download video. I went to the website and got nothing. I thought it might need a firmware update but I cannot find that they ever released one. Anyone have a similar experience?

@BeansBaxter78

Are you using the FLIR supplied usb cable?  

I was unable to connect to my computer with a standard usb cable, but the one that came with it worked fine.

Is it showing up when connected, but just won't transfer?  Or does nothing happen when it is plugged into your computer?

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

@BeansBaxter78

Are you using the FLIR supplied usb cable?  

I was unable to connect to my computer with a standard usb cable, but the one that came with it worked fine.

Is it showing up when connected, but just won't transfer?  Or does nothing happen when it is plugged into your computer?

Yeah, I'm using the cable it came with. When I hook it up to the computer I get an acknowledgment sound that something is connected but it doesn't show up at all in my attached devices. 

Try a different USB port? My FLIR works with any micro USB cable so it isn't something that is proprietary. Can you right click (Windows) on the USB-green checkmark icon and open the device? Could it just be a hidden icon? Also, depending on the time of day, FLIR has a chat option where you can engage a live rep.

@BeansBaxter78

Has it connected ok in the past?  

Also, are you using Windows 10?  FLIR had something on their website concerning Windows 10 and that it might take up to ten minutes for your Scout TK to show up.

Also again, this is a silly question...but did you power the FLIR unit on once it is plugged into your computer?  The Scout will not connect with your PC until it is powered on once the usb cable is inserted.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

Found it...

• Some Windows 10 computers can take up to 10 minutes before the camera show up as a harddrive. After the camera is connected, wait ~10 minutes and see if it shows up.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

@BeansBaxter78

Has it connected ok in the past?  

Also, are you using Windows 10?  FLIR had something on their website concerning Windows 10 and that it might take up to ten minutes for your Scout TK to show up.

Also again, this is a silly question...but did you power the FLIR unit on once it is plugged into your computer?  The Scout will not connect with your PC until it is powered on once the usb cable is inserted.

I am using the factory cable and the unit was on when I plugged it in. Still no joy after several minutes. I'm going to charge it a bit as the battery was quite low and try it again. If that doesn't work, I'll try plugging it in to my backup laptop and hope that works.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2021 at 7:41 PM, BeansBaxter78 said:

I am using the factory cable and the unit was on when I plugged it in. Still no joy after several minutes. I'm going to charge it a bit as the battery was quite low and try it again. If that doesn't work, I'll try plugging it in to my backup laptop and hope that works.

Let me know what happens with it.

Honestly, after @wiiawiwbs issue with FLIR stopping support on his $8k unit with no warning, I am going to try a Pulsar unit when I upgrade my thermal this year.  

I think it was Explorer whose FLIR could no longer be serviced.  My Pulsar Helion has been working flawlessly and hopefully it continues that way (knock on wood!!!).   

Pulsar offers the Helion, Helion 2, Axion, and Krypton lines in a monocular.  The Krypton has no magnification so I don't know what the attraction would be.   Be mindful of native magnification. The XP line is much more expensive than the XQ line because the XP  it has 640x480 resolution rather than  384x288 of the XQ. However, the native magnification of the XP is 1.9 vs 3.4 of the XQ.  So, to get the same size image, you need to magnify the XP which then degrades the resolution. In my opinion, you only get the value of the higher-priced XP line if your subject is close.

In our line of endeavor, a sasquatch is likely not going to be very close so native magnification might be more important than resolution.  Also, if the area that you operating in is a dense forest, you won't need one that can detect over a mile away (Helion XP50).  Where I go, I am lucky to see anything 100 yards away unless it on the edge of a pond and I'm on the other side. A wider FOV was more important to me in the woods.

One other thought. Don't be put off by the prices offered on Pulsars. When I was looking, there were minimum advertised pricing requirements for dealers. They all were about the same. All bets were off when you called them and talked by phone. Then you can negotiate and strike your own deal. Some were willing to horse trade while others not so much. Just make sure they are dealers of Pulsar. I called Pulsar and confirmed the dealer I was buying from was indeed a Pulsar dealer before I laid out any cash.

https://www.pulsar-nv.com/glo/products/33/thermal-imaging-scopes/

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

I think it was Explorer whose FLIR could no longer be serviced.  My Pulsar Helion has been working flawlessly and hopefully it continues that way (knock on wood!!!).   

Pulsar offers the Helion, Helion 2, Axion, and Krypton lines in a monocular.  The Krypton has no magnification so I don't know what the attraction would be.   Be mindful of native magnification. The XP line is much more expensive than the XQ line because the XP  it has 640x480 resolution rather than  384x288 of the XQ. However, the native magnification of the XP is 1.9 vs 3.4 of the XQ.  So, to get the same size image, you need to magnify the XP which then degrades the resolution. In my opinion, you only get the value of the higher-priced XP line if your subject is close.

In our line of endeavor, a sasquatch is likely not going to be very close so native magnification might be more important than resolution.  Also, if the area that you operating in is a dense forest, you won't need one that can detect over a mile away (Helion XP50).  Where I go, I am lucky to see anything 100 yards away unless it on the edge of a pond and I'm on the other side. A wider FOV was more important to me in the woods.

One other thought. Don't be put off by the prices offered on Pulsars. When I was looking, there were minimum advertised pricing requirements for dealers. They all were about the same. All bets were off when you called them and talked by phone. Then you can negotiate and strike your own deal. Some were willing to horse trade while others not so much. Just make sure they are dealers of Pulsar. I called Pulsar and confirmed the dealer I was buying from was indeed a Pulsar dealer before I laid out any cash.

https://www.pulsar-nv.com/glo/products/33/thermal-imaging-scopes/

Lol.  I apologize.  That's right.  I talked to you about the Pulsar when I heard about the troubles with FLIR service.  

@BlackRockBigfoot

@wiiawiwb

FLIR service and support is non-existent for my unit (BHS-XR Command).   

Thus, I would not recommend a FLIR to anyone and will never buy one again.

I can't really trust that company anymore.

While my unit is still working fine and functional, I will never be able to update the software and/or date-time stamp on the videos.

Once my FLIR unit reaches its end of life, I will probably buy a Pulsar. 

I have seen many of them in the field and they have much better resolution and clarity than my unit.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Explorer said:

@BlackRockBigfoot

@wiiawiwb

FLIR service and support is non-existent for my unit (BHS-XR Command).   

Thus, I would not recommend a FLIR to anyone and will never buy one again.

I can't really trust that company anymore.

While my unit is still working fine and functional, I will never be able to update the software and/or date-time stamp on the videos.

Once my FLIR unit reaches its end of life, I will probably buy a Pulsar. 

I have seen many of them in the field and they have much better resolution and clarity than my unit.

Yeah. I remember now.  You had only had it for a few years, if memory serves, and they decided that they were just going to stop offering support for a $9k model.  

The Pulsar XM30S is on my list for this year.  Your experience turned me off of FLIR going forward.  I was planning on upgrading my TK to a better model FLIR, but not now.

Pulsar also has a much better reputation for customer service than FLIR or ATN. 

I still haven't got it to work. I haven't tried plugging it in to my Mac yet though. Honestly, I haven't been using it that much anyway. I recently acquired a Sionyx night vision monocular and have been using that more than the therm. I got it for a really good price.