My dad was featured on Expedition Bigfoot.

ZempOh

Hi all!

Not sure if this of interest to anyone, but my dad was featured on the first season of Expedition Bigfoot. If you have any specific questions about the show or anything you wanted me to ask my dad, feel free to ask here and I can relay answers.

Long story short:

I've been interested (read: obsessed) with bigfoot since my dad first shared his encounter stories with me ~15 years ago. He had two encounters, a class B then class A, growing up in rural North Bend, WA in the 70's.

Anyways, one day I got an email from an email list. The email purported that a group of producers was looking to make a new bigfoot show with a major network and that they were looking for credible eyewitnesses. I immediately forwarded the email to my dad and harangued him with a phone call, encouraging him to contact the producers.

My dad isn't one to be in the spotlight or seek attention, but with my prodding, he reached out. Personally, I've just wanted to get my dad's story documented in some fashion -- if it was on TV, then I saw that as a cool bonus.

Next thing I know he had a FaceTime interview with some of the producers and then a flight booked from Seattle to Bend, OR.

They flew him to Bend and got him a rental car where he was instructed to drive to a house in Mitchell, OR.

This house in Mitchell is where they interviewed him.

He told me they interviewed him for over an hour, though he doesn't remember all of it. 

He get's kind of emotional / traumatized when retelling his two stories, and he told me he was crying / emotional by the end of it, hence him not really remembering all of it.

Afterwards he said the people interviewing him were very kind and shook his hand and told him 'it was an honor' to meet him.

For whatever reason, they only aired tiny bits of his interview over two episodes. And they only aired the part where he was describing the sounds he heard of the bigfoot crashing through the woods, not his more exciting and captivating class A encounter. The show was also kind of misleading, in that it showed them driving in a car, saying they were going to interview a witness who had an encounter "not far from here." That is pretty misleading, because Mitchell, OR is over 300 miles from North Bend, WA (where his encounters were). Lol. The way the cut to the scene also made it seem like they were interviewing him at his house. Anyways, I digress...

One memorable quote from the part they aired was him saying "I just knew it could rip me in half like a sheet of paper." Maybe that will jog your memory.

Attached is the copy of the release they sent him, so you know I'm not full of it. Cheers! :)

Appearance Release.Bigfoot.pdf

• Haha 1

Congratulations!  It sounds like an exciting development in your lives.  I haven't watched the show yet, but I'll be looking for his interview!

@ZempOh

Just re-edit your last sentence since cursing is not allowed.

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Howdy! Welcome!

What is their best piece of evidence to date?

Howdy -- thanks!

I don't know. I'm probably one of the worst people to ask. I honestly don't watch a lot of TV and all the bigfoot shows feel pretty 'gimicky' to me, including this one. And yeah Meldrum is on it, but if he finds real evidence you know he'd probably run it through peer-review before a major announcement, and it would be the featured article in Nature.

1 hour ago, ShadowBorn said:

@ZempOh

Just re-edit your last sentence since cursing is not allowed.

Understood. Looks like you edited for me. Cheers.

Not a problem. I am glad that your DAD came out with his sighting. It is not an easy thing to do and understanding that to people who do not know well it is hard for them to comprehend. It is great that you are standing by your Dad with his encounter. It took allot guts to go on national TV and talk about some thing that personally effected him . So Bravo Zulu on him for that. If he ever feels ready to post his encounter with us on the Bigfoot forum he is welcome to it.  I have some strange encounters my self and came out with them right away with them. Except for the woo ones . People are just not ready to except them.  But Thank you for sharing your DADs experience with the TV show. Hope to hear (read ) about his encounter soon on the forum. 

20 hours ago, ZempOh said:

For whatever reason, they only aired tiny bits of his interview over two episodes.

TV shows are in the business of creating perceived drama and tension that generates advertising revenue, not explaining whether Bigfoot exists or not.  I got myself in a high hover over an episode of Finding Bigfoot that was filmed in New York and thoroughly raked it over the coals for factual inaccuracies (their "local" scientist was at an aquarium/zoo 80 miles and two (small northeastern) states away.  Or maybe only one little bitty northeastern state away, but it still was in now way was the scientist "local" to the location.  

About two years later I re-watched the episode and realized that all of the encounter reports were individually very accurate.  And I realized that while the TV producer might not be too worried about not getting stuff right, that doesn't reflect on the researchers.  

• Upvote 2

On 3/29/2021 at 5:37 AM, ZempOh said:

Hi all!

Not sure if this of interest to anyone, but my dad was featured on the first season of Expedition Bigfoot. If you have any specific questions about the show or anything you wanted me to ask my dad, feel free to ask here and I can relay answers.

Really, really interesting thanks. I'd be very interested to know if you don't mind, if your father when he had the encounter with the creature instantly thought it was a Bigfoot type creature or if he maybe thought it was a bear or something else initially? Did he see it clear enough to instantly realise it was something very unusual? What are the most distinguishing things he noticed?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations! I'm sorry that it wasn't a better experience though. Gotta remember that television is ENTERTAINMENT first and foremost.