Possible Eye bioluminescence vs reflection

Hairandfiber

If luciferin, a chemical found in lampreys which have luminescent eyes, were ingested by Sasquatches along any west-coast or east coast watersheds containing lampreys, might we have a physiological model for eyeshine that appears non-reflected?

bipedalist had an encounter in which he witnessed eye glow illuminating an object on the ground. It's a fascinating report to read. 

I have a picture of some thing that 8' high with glowing blue eyes. They look like they are lit up from the inside of the eye and it is very freaky to see. If i can scan it, I will post it later some time today.

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, Hairandfiber said:

If luciferin, a chemical found in lampreys which have luminescent eyes, were ingested by Sasquatches along any west-coast or east coast watersheds containing lampreys, might we have a physiological model for eyeshine that appears non-reflected?

My guess is that any bioluminescent compounds ingested orally would be destroyed early on in the digestive process.

I have heard at least one first hand report of glowing eyes that changed from yellowish orange to red when the creature got angry and showed it's teeth. This was witnessed by a woman I know while she was less than six feet from the creature's face, who was peering into a window. The woman was in an upper bunk of a bed right next to the window. The creature was watching her sister on the floor or lower bunk and The creature did not see my friend at first. I don't remember which, then when she saw my friend so close intently staring at her in amazement, it growled and showed it's teeth. That's when the eyes went red.

She said it was definitely not a reflection. She is certain that the eyes were glowing from the inside.  

• Upvote 2

I have to ask, in a kind way of course :)was there any light in the room where the creature could see the sister on the floor/lower bunk? If not, and the room was completely dark, then what kind of light was outside that made the creature visible to anyone who was inside? Some light of some kind must have been around in order for the woman to have seen the teeth? If it was eyeglow reflecting back to the creature from the glass then would the teeth perhaps look reddish?

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

IIRC from her story, it was dark outside. I think her sister was reading or playing, so I imagine there was light inside. But I don't know, just trying to deduce. The teeth were not red, the eyes were. Sorry if my bad typing may have indicated otherwise. It was a pre-coffee moment. :) 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

It's reflection most likely.

Even people who are 100% committed to the flesh and blood undiscovered ape theory like Moneymaker and the NAWACs folks talk about self illuminating eyes.

I’d be hard pressed to believe BF has bioluminescence eyes.   We just do not see this trait in other large mammals.

This would just add to other supernatural abilities BF has been “gifted”.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

IIRC from her story, it was dark outside. I think her sister was reading or playing, so I imagine there was light inside. But I don't know, just trying to deduce. The teeth were not red, the eyes were. Sorry if my bad typing may have indicated otherwise. It was a pre-coffee moment. :) 

Nah, yer typin' is fine, and thanks, uh, and I know all about he pre-coffee biz......I mean buzz ;)

So okay, yeah, that makes sense now as I could see inside light reflecting in eyes. Who knows about BF eye membranes and whether or not light angle striking differently would change eye color. Not saying your friend wouldn't think it was bioluminescence, only that it may have been the impression she got? ARRRRGGHHH! We need a body!

We humans get red eye when a camera flash goes off. If the eyes are 2x3 times bigger? That could explain the red eye glow in low light.

You cannot have color vision and a tapetum lucidum at the same time. And all apes and some monkeys have color vision.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I am not sure what to make of it. She was quite certain about glowing eyes, and NOT reflection like a wolf or deer. It doesn't seem to fit the mold of a normal mammalian trait, that's for sure, but I thought I would pass it along.

• Thanks 1