Techniques used to attract BF to camp

Explorer

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Completely agree on all points WB, especially your defense/last resort statement. And I think most will agree with that posture. Plussed on looking for bones, too. And a soil sampling DNA kit is a small, light set of items that is easy to carry, deploy and store. Water samples are more expensive as they need materials that cost more and are more cumbersome which is why professional outfits from academia should handle that process. Of course, only delicate correspondences would ever have a chance of getting academia on board. So, cost-wise anyway, snow or soil sampling is a BF researcher's best method.

I concur that an audio recording of an aggressive male gorilla beating its chest will likely be one of the most effective ways of drawing a Bigfoot in during the mating season. Of course the Bigfoot that is drawn into camp using these methods will almost certainly be an aggressive territorial alpha male which could make quick work of any human being if it were so inclined. 

Being appropriately armed is essential in such an encounter since these animals are known to be dangerous on occasion. The encounter would be unpredictable and could range from anything from a bluff charge to a full on ambush with homicidal intent. If the animal can be dissuaded from attacking, a DNA or hair sample could likely be collected in this scenario. If the creature decides to attack, then the only recourse will be to kill or be killed. In which event, presuming the armed researcher prevails in the encounter, we will have our proof in the form of a type specimen and the mystery of the Sasquatch will be finally and conclusively resolved.

But...lets hope it doesn't come to that for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is this researcher wanting to go home to his wife...

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Wooly Booger said:

If the animal can be dissuaded from attacking.....

This can easily be done by pointing to one's own chest and shaking one's head back and forth vigorously in innocence, while at the same time, pointing frantically over to one's friend, like the example below. Problem solved ;)

554997707_PointingBear.png.78817238329079756ceb9fd983c472d9.png

Edited by hiflier
  • Haha 1

SSR Team

Great post shadow !

SSR Team
11 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

The only rock-throwing incident I've been involved with was when a friend brought along his backpacker's guitar (a small one) and was playing it. The rock was thrown while he played. Is that why it was thrown? Obviously, I have no way to confirm that although it was the only time he's brought it so my friend has a batting average of a thousand.

I've attached a file on a report done one West African Chimpanzee's and how different population pockets of them actually utilizing throwing rocks.

This 'objects thrown' stuff is very interesting, as it would be a culturally learned behavior.

The reports of it back that up too.

Western WA - 1/14 reports describe 'objects thrown'.
Eastern WA - 0 reports describe 'objects thrown'
WA Olympics - 1/13 reports describe 'objects thrown'
WA Cascades - 1/14 reports describe 'objects thrown'  
OR Cascades - 1/178 reports describe 'objects thrown'
CA/OR Klamath Mountains - 1/106 reports describe 'objects thrown'
CA Sierra's - 1/20 reports describe 'objects thrown'

Elsewhere, there is a single 420sq miles county in Kentucky (Lawrence) that see's just as many 'objects thrown' reports as the entire Oregon Coastal Range Mountains, more 'objects thrown' reports than all of Idaho, more 'objects thrown' reports than all of Montana and more reports than all of the Oregon Cascades and Eastern Oregon combined.

Chimp Rock Throwing.pdf

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Leave it to the Squatchermetrics Master to come up with this kind of data. Thank you BobbyO. And I agree that ShadowBorn posted well :)

Edited by hiflier

1 hour ago, BobbyO said:

I've attached a file on a report done one West African Chimpanzee's and how different population pockets of them actually utilizing throwing rocks.

This 'objects thrown' stuff is very interesting, as it would be a culturally learned behavior.

The reports of it back that up too.

Western WA - 1/14 reports describe 'objects thrown'.
Eastern WA - 0 reports describe 'objects thrown'
WA Olympics - 1/13 reports describe 'objects thrown'
WA Cascades - 1/14 reports describe 'objects thrown'  
OR Cascades - 1/178 reports describe 'objects thrown'
CA/OR Klamath Mountains - 1/106 reports describe 'objects thrown'
CA Sierra's - 1/20 reports describe 'objects thrown'

Elsewhere, there is a single 420sq miles county in Kentucky (Lawrence) that see's just as many 'objects thrown' reports as the entire Oregon Coastal Range Mountains, more 'objects thrown' reports than all of Idaho, more 'objects thrown' reports than all of Montana and more reports than all of the Oregon Cascades and Eastern Oregon combined.

Chimp Rock Throwing.pdf 530.17 kB · 0 downloads

Sadly enough, the mecca of bigfooting (aka Oregon, Washington and Northern CA), and all its statistics, don't apply to me.  Maybe the sasquatch we encountered that day was a transplant that migrated from Memphis and felt a kinship to music!  

Edited by wiiawiwb

3 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

I concur that an audio recording of an aggressive male gorilla beating its chest will likely be one of the most effective ways of drawing a Bigfoot in during the mating season. Of course the Bigfoot that is drawn into camp using these methods will almost certainly be an aggressive territorial alpha male which could make quick work of any human being if it were so inclined. 

Being appropriately armed is essential in such an encounter since these animals are known to be dangerous on occasion. The encounter would be unpredictable and could range from anything from a bluff charge to a full on ambush with homicidal intent. If the animal can be dissuaded from attacking, a DNA or hair sample could likely be collected in this scenario. If the creature decides to attack, then the only recourse will be to kill or be killed. In which event, presuming the armed researcher prevails in the encounter, we will have our proof in the form of a type specimen and the mystery of the Sasquatch will be finally and conclusively resolved.

But...lets hope it doesn't come to that for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is this researcher wanting to go home to his wife...

Not sure about the chest beating but maybe you're right. I agree that being armed and prepared is essential. Having said that, I think a sasquatch could pluck me from the forest any time it wanted.

Edited by wiiawiwb

1 hour ago, ShadowBorn said:

The bad thing about researchers is that they do not want to post what they have tried. They do not want to post what has worked. There results just stay hidden from the rest of the world. But why? Could it be that they do not want these results to come out to be true of what others have been saying all along. It is like that we are still stuck in the same place year after year and never seem to move forward with the research. What gives?

I think many of us are willing to post what we've tried and what has worked.  I also think there is a reluctance to post where specifically we've been doing it.  I can tell you that I've worked certain areas hard and have spent a lot of time, money, and energy doing so. The last thing I want is for someone to read about where specifically I am doing work, what I'm doing, then waltz in, and start to work in my focus areas.

You naturally guard things that are important to you. The better interest of sasquatchery as a whole does not reside on my list of priorities. The notion of tracking one down, finding it, seeing it, and experiencing the magnificence of that moment is what motivates me to revisit the woods as often as I can.

SSR Team
34 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Sadly enough, the mecca of bigfooting (aka Oregon, Washington and Northern CA), and all its statistics, don't apply to me.  Maybe the sasquatch we encountered that day was a transplant that migrated from Memphis and felt a kinship to music!  

No no, that's not the be all and end all, far from it, it was just given as an example.

Different parts of the same mountain ranges with way varying numbers, different mountain ranges with way varying numbers etc.

Where was your encounter ?

It was a time not so long ago but "in a galaxy far, far away..."

Edited by wiiawiwb

SSR Team

Ok that's funny, but what State/County if you don't mind and i can match up with other reports of 'objects thrown' from there, and then share here ?

It's how we can learn.

17 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

If this was the case then this would make Bigfoot ape. We be beating on our chest and have one on a slab with no problem.  So i have to disagree with this. When they came to our camp back in 2000 and back in 2001 they came because they wanted too. Not because they were drawn in by methods being used that we have no understanding of there meanings.  Even when we did use these methods there was no aggressive behavior. The only time that there was aggressive behavior by them was when they were being shot at. This only happened after we had left our camp site. This has been posted on the BFF back on the BFF 1.0 but in the movement from server to server has been lost. I and others who have been with me do know what we have encountered. They are not some monkey roaming around in the forest but some highly intelligent being.

Now whether we want to call the males as alphas that is a different story. They are most certainly the king of the forest. If you say that they do not climb trees then you should restudy what you know. Camping in a hot zone is the best way to get involve with these creatures. It takes time for them to adjust to your presence before you might even get a sighting.   But once they know you , they will start to answer when you call.  But it takes times. But the real deal is you might not even get a chance to see one in your life time and if you do. You have been very lucky.

The bad thing about researchers is that they do not want to post what they have tried. They do not want to post what has worked. There results just stay hidden from the rest of the world. But why? Could it be that they do not want these results to come out to be true of what others have been saying all along. It is like that we are still stuck in the same place year after year and never seem to move forward with the research. What gives? The fear of being ridiculed should be over by now. We should be able to speak our minds. Not saying that we do not. But we should be able to be more open with out being afraid.

If there is research being used out there to getting results then it should be shared. So that it can be proven to work else where. This way we can confirm that these creature are not all different. That they all do react the same.  If they do not then we know that they are not all the same. When we camped and had these creatures visiting us . We tried everything to capture a picture of them . We used every technique that we could think of to capture a picture of them visiting. Yet no avail. We used apples,  and salmon with the camera traps. We used our campsite as bait wit no avail. We used the glow sticks and peanut butter jars back in 2000. Thermo's and we caught one running way back into the woods. Again back in 2000.  All i can say is that they do love salmon and I mean the smoked stuff. But would not come around the camera traps for that. But I will stop.

We need to be more open to how we deal with these critters with each other. We just cannot keep going on year after year with nothing no more. It has to change. Deep woods exploration is what is needed. 

Of course Bigfoot is an ape. Whether or not Bigfoot is a hominid remains to be seen, but regardless of whether Bigfoot is a hominid or not it is still an ape. All hominids are apes. The supposed ape/hominid dichotomy is a straw man. 

Chest beating has been reported with Bigfoot encounters, most notably in the famous Ape Canyon incident. My post dealt with hard science, which is the only way the mystery of the Sasquatch is ever going to be solved. Chest beating, animals in distress are all potentially effective methods for drawing these creatures to camp. And this isn't a Harry and the Henderson's comedy. Bigfoot ain't he Ewoks or the gentle mystical guardians of the forest that some here seem to think. Bigfoot are not mind readers, they do not travel through non-existent dimensions, nor do they give a rats behind about human motives nor are they even aware of such things. But I will tell you what Bigfoot are, they are large, intelligent, and extremely powerful apex predators that are known, and I repeat ARE KNOWN to be potentially dangerous. Nobody knows these animals better than the Native Americans. And i suggest you and certain others read up on Native American legends of cannibal giants. If Missing 411 is any indication, then these creatures still occasionally prey on humans. 

I am talking about hard science, you know the sort of stuff that actually produces results, and you and certain others seem to be talking mystical rhetoric. This ain't the Twilight Zone or a science fiction movie. This is real life, and we are dealing with a real unknown species that inhabits North America's wilderness areas. That is the only possible explanation. AND IT IS THE ONLY EXPLANATION THAT WILL RESULT IN BIGFOOT RESEARCH BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY. Scientists are not the enemy. They are the very people we need to bring on board if we ever hope to solve this mystery. 

Edited by Wooly Booger
  • Downvote 2

@Wooly Booger Do not get all upset there. When I had my first encounter with these creatures. We had walked down a two track whooping and clapping our cupped hands in a hot zone.  We then poked holes in a can of salmon and strung it across the two track with a glow stick at the height of 8' to 9' . We then walked back to our camp site as we were able to see this bait trap from our camp site. Now this has never been tried at that time and we were the first to do so. So it worked. We confirmed that it worked since I had an up close sighting of the creature and the person i was with also had a sighting as well. 

But I will tell you what Bigfoot are, they are large, intelligent, and extremely powerful apex predators that are known, and I repeat ARE KNOWN to be potentially dangerous.

You keep saying that they are extremely dangerous. Yet , there are researchers that go out after them and keep coming back safely with out any problems. There have been times that people have been chased out of the woods where this creature could have easily have caught them . But yet they have all been able to get away.  Now you tell me why? why something this powerful would let a human just get away so easily. 

We have slept in our camp site many times and not once have we ever felt threaten. Sure I have felt nervous and why not. If you have ever seen these creatures you would understand that there is really nothing one can do if they were to grab you. The time that we were just target shooting at this tree and did not know that there was one behind the that tree. It did nothing until after we had left our camp. It then came back and destroyed our camp site. But we then understood what we did was not good.We had our dogs with us and not once did these creatures harm our dogs. Even though our dogs were alerting us of where they were moving though out the darkness surrounding our camp site.

I am talking about hard science, you know the sort of stuff that actually produces results, and you and certain others seem to be talking mystical rhetoric. This ain't the Twilight Zone or a science fiction movie. This is real life, and we are dealing with a real unknown species that inhabits North America's wilderness areas. That is the only possible explanation. AND IT IS THE ONLY EXPLANATION THAT WILL RESULT IN BIGFOOT RESEARCH BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY. Scientists are not the enemy. They are the very people we need to bring on board if we ever hope to solve this mystery. 

It has always been about hard science and it has never stopped. But they have never been wanting to listen. They have alway's laughed at the notion of there being some type of creature as a bigfoot in our forest. There only few scientist who have been willing to listen.  But even them I am not willing to to trust since there interest is to elevate them selves to a higher status in there world. I have never seen this as some science fiction movie where everything is just in my imagination. No sir, it is all real. Yes, and it has bothered me for a long time. Am sure that it has bothered allot of others who have had encounters with this creature as well. It is not some mystical creature. But a real flesh and blood animal that breaths the same air as we do.    

We do not have to give away our areas of research. But ideas of things that have worked that have attracted these creatures to our positions . There is nothing wrong with that and nothing secret about that. I understand about giving away research areas. I have kept my my spots secrets so that there could be no way of being hoaxed. Believe me there have been times out in the field where I actually felt that I must have been hoaxed. since there is no possible that a creature other then a human could be answering me on command. Impossible , Yet here I was in the middle of no where being answered by some thing on command. I can say that this could be my imagination but being with a witness. Again impossible. The same goes with baiting or even with these tree formations. If only one could predict when a tree formation will begin. one could set up a camera trap. The same goes with the bait piles. The only thing I was able to capture was two glowing blue eye's.  We have done the work but science wants nothing to do with what you seem to be calling a mystical creature.

On 6/7/2021 at 4:51 PM, Explorer said:

Over the years people have tried all sorts of techniques to attract BF to their campsite or camera trap.

... etc.

This is a good summary though I don't agree with all of it.    I need to ask ... it is all in statement form, no obvious questions asked.   Are you looking for a response, information, etc?   In other words, what's the goal of the post?

So far as guns and BFRO, they were allowed on the expedition I attended though only when a person was going off a distance from camp by themselves.   It was a safety / liability issue, not an .. call it an "item of doctrine."   From my own experience it does not matter.    Guns are just amplifiers of a sort ... a scared human with a gun is more dangerous than a scared human without one, but a calm human with a gun is not more dangerous than a calm human without one.   Your attitude, the "vibe" you project regarding your comfort in the setting seems to me to be far more important than whatever gear you carry.

So far as the techniques, I suppose #5 has been most effective for me.   It wasn't done to attract a bigfoot, but I'm pretty sure our presence in the particular location drew attention on one car camping trip (a matter of location, timing, and activity) and in one area where I backpack and camp, at a certain time of year, some kind of action is more probable than not though it is usually tenuous of a sort that a non-bigfooter, maybe even a bigfooting non-hunter, might not even notice.

Not knowing what you're looking for, that's all I've got ... just responses / thoughts your post triggered, not really addressing anything in particular.    Hope things are going well for you ..

MIB