Camp Security

wiiawiwb

I'm curious to find out what others do when it comes to camp security.  How do you keep your camp safe and protect yourself from intruders albeit man or beast?  My approach has evolved over the years and I always welcome input and ideas with open arms. 

Camp Location - The two areas I go have lots of ponds so my camp is generally on or near water. The locations are sufficently away from humanity and accessible only by backpacking in a good distance that I don't ever expect to have anyone come strolling nearby.  Most times I camp away from the water but will be close enough to exit into the water if need be. I will have a fire near the water as an enticement and to let a sasquatch know of my presence.

Protection -  I am armed when I enter the woods. I'll usually, but not always, carry bear spray and also wear a neck knife whenever I enter the woods. The knife is used for bushcraft purposes.

Awareness - I'm always quiet, on guard, and listening. Sometimes, just sitting and carefully listening for periods of time can be instructive. I'm also vigilant to inspect the area around camp by looking at grasses, moss, ferns, branches, and vegetation for prints or disturbances to see if something has been in my area recently. I canvas the camp and nearby area each day I'm there. I want to know if something/someone knows I'm there.

Detection  - Technology has helped immensely. Nowadays, I always have my thermal imager. It helps at night to see things before they reach my camp. Was that crunching noise a deer, bear, or raccoon? It will identify that so you know what you're dealing with. I also use personal sound alarms and fishing line attached to them acting as trip wires near vulnerable areas. If something comes through, they'll unknowingly tug on the fishing line which will set off the 130db alarms. I've pondered using IR detectors with lights as another means of camp security to detect anything nearby.

Visibility - There are several schools of thought. I subscribe to being less visible and not easily seen. My tent is muted in color as is my clothing although I generally don't wear camo.  I don't keep my camp nor tent lighted and only use enough lumens from flashlights to accomplish the task at hand. 

Sound - I'm cognizant to be quiet as a church mouse when at camp or moving about in the woods so I do not give away my location. I think my hearing is pretty good as I am almost always the one who says, "Did you hear that?".  Sounds amplifiers, both in-ear and external, are something I have not yet invested in but plan to do so. If you can hear something coming, you have another arrow in the quiver. 

The general security rules above are obviously violated when I make vocalizations, wood knocks, or other sounds and when using lights or other visual displays as a means to attract a sasquatch. My only stone-throwing incident occurred when a friend brought his backpacking guitar and was playing it.

Those are a few general thoughts about camp security and I welcome other ideas or suggestions.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm curious to find out what others do when it comes to camp security.  How do you keep your camp safe and protect yourself from intruders albeit man or beast?  My approach has evolved over the years and I always welcome input and ideas with open arms. 

Camp Location - The two areas I go have lots of ponds so my camp is generally on or near water. The locations are sufficently away from humanity and accessible only by backpacking in a good distance that I don't ever expect to have anyone come strolling nearby.  Most times I camp away from the water but will be close enough to exit into the water if need be. I will have a fire near the water as an enticement and to let a sasquatch know of my presence.

Protection -  I am armed when I enter the woods. I'll usually, but not always, carry bear spray and also wear a neck knife whenever I enter the woods. The knife is used for bushcraft purposes.

Awareness - I'm always quiet, on guard, and listening. Sometimes, just sitting and carefully listening for periods of time can be instructive. I'm also vigilant to inspect the area around camp by looking at grasses, moss, ferns, branches, and vegetation for prints or disturbances to see if something has been in my area recently. I canvas the camp and nearby area each day I'm there. I want to know if something/someone knows I'm there.

Detection  - Technology has helped immensely. Nowadays, I always have my thermal imager. It helps at night to see things before they reach my camp. Was that crunching noise a deer, bear, or raccoon? It will identify that so you know what you're dealing with. I also use personal sound alarms and fishing line attached to them acting as trip wires near vulnerable areas. If something comes through, they'll unknowingly tug on the fishing line which will set off the 130db alarms. I've pondered using IR detectors with lights as another means of camp security to detect anything nearby.

Visibility - There are several schools of thought. I subscribe to being less visible and not easily seen. My tent is muted in color as is my clothing although I generally don't wear camo.  I don't keep my camp nor tent lighted and only use enough lumens from flashlights to accomplish the task at hand. 

Sound - I'm cognizant to be quiet as a church mouse when at camp or moving about in the woods so I do not give away my location. I think my hearing is pretty good as I am almost always the one who says, "Did you hear that?".  Sounds amplifiers, both in-ear and external, are something I have not yet invested in but plan to do so. If you can hear something coming, you have another arrow in the quiver. 

The general security rules above are obviously violated when I make vocalizations, wood knocks, or other sounds and when using lights or other visual displays as a means to attract a sasquatch. My only stone-throwing incident occurred when a friend brought his backpacking guitar and was playing it.

Those are a few general thoughts about camp security and I welcome other ideas or suggestions.

An oldy but a goodie, with the tech improvements in trail cams, the older ones with flash can be used as a trip wire perimeter concept around a camp, anything coming too close sets off the flash as a warning, also, Nightvision/flir and a few improved specifically "Non lethal" things I'll leave to the imagination other than to say, a slightly different take on existing products meant for other uses.

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

In house private security team.  Costs about $5/day in provisions plus the occasional destroyed shoe or under garment when bored.

shepherds.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Those two are a fantastic security team but out in the woods I'd be afraid they chase something and never return.  Those two sweet pooches are too precious to take that chance.

7 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

What type of personal sound alarms do you use?

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

Those two are a fantastic security team but out in the woods I'd be afraid they chase something and never return.  Those two sweet pooches are too precious to take that chance.

The brown and tan is still a puppy and would run for sure and not come back until she is hungry.    The white one is a little neurotic and would not go beyond 50 yards of the tent unless one of us was with her.  

9 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Im seriously considering this as we are in Griz country.

https://www.udap.com/mm5/product/BFF

And your buddy must be a BAD guitar player to get rocks thrown at him!😉

14 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What type of personal sound alarms do you use?

BASU eAlarm Plus.  I chose it over many others out there because it has an attachment point on both ends of it. Most only have it on one end.  The extra attachment point allows you to nail one end down and run fishing line around the vulnerable area and attach to the other end of the alarm. You can also run fishing line from the fixed end, around the vulnerable area and attach to the other end pull ring.

https://www.basu.com/store/p2/ealarmplus.html#/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpmqWri1OlM

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, norseman said:

Im seriously considering this as we are in Griz country.

https://www.udap.com/mm5/product/BFF

And your buddy must be a BAD guitar player to get rocks thrown at him!😉

I've seen bear electric-wire arrangements before and considered getting one. UDAP has one for $270 that covers an area 27' x 27' and delivers 6,000 volts.  It's achilles heel can be rain. It's 3.7 lbs, which is manageable, but the extra weight was always the issue for me. 

https://www.backpacker.com/survival/ask-a-bear-electric-fence-as-deterrent/

Here's a slightly smaller one designed for backpackers at only 3.1 lbs. If you're not careful when you get up in the middle of the night to pee, you'll get the surprise of your life!!

https://www.bearwatchsystems.com/bearwatch-wildlife-deterrent-system

The rock throwing started when my buddy played CSN&Y's Woodstock! Guess sasquatches don't like hippies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o03oK-6ljHU

Edited by wiiawiwb

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

If you're not careful when you get up in the middle of the night to pee, you'll get the surprise of your life!!

I can vouch for this statement.

It was a long time ago. Don't ask. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I've seen bear electric-wire arrangements before and considered getting one. UDAP has one for $270 that covers an area 27' x 27' and delivers 6,000 volts.  It's achilles heel can be rain. It's 3.7 lbs, which is manageable, but the extra weight was always the issue for me. 

https://www.backpacker.com/survival/ask-a-bear-electric-fence-as-deterrent/

Here's a slightly smaller one designed for backpackers at only 3.1 lbs. If you're not careful when you get up in the middle of the night to pee, you'll get the surprise of your life!!

https://www.bearwatchsystems.com/bearwatch-wildlife-deterrent-system

The rock throwing started when my buddy played CSN&Y's Woodstock! Guess sasquatches don't like hippies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o03oK-6ljHU

It should work better in rain. Conductivity would be higher. So long as you have removed all foliage that could ground it.

Me and some buddies got sent to a summer camp one year to a farm. We didn’t like this city kid so we talked him into peeing on a electric fence..... it got him a couple of times before he figured it out. Slow learner....

I may have to reconsider shooting one. Bigfoots taste in music is impeccable!😉

Nothing special.

When camping in grizzly country, sleep with either a shorty shotgun or my 450 marlin.

Also sleep with large sharp knife (if Mr. Grizzly is coming through the front door, I am making a back door)

Normal camping I often carry bear spray and/or a 44mag mares leg with a full stock on it

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 5:05 AM, wiiawiwb said:

BASU eAlarm Plus.  I chose it over many others out there because it has an attachment point on both ends of it. Most only have it on one end.  The extra attachment point allows you to nail one end down and run fishing line around the vulnerable area and attach to the other end of the alarm. You can also run fishing line from the fixed end, around the vulnerable area and attach to the other end pull ring.

https://www.basu.com/store/p2/ealarmplus.html#/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpmqWri1OlM

Awesome.  Thanks for the tip.  These look good, and you can buy them in multiples on Amazon.  

Do you use them in groups of 4 and box your campsite in?