Pulsar Axion XQ38

BlackRockBigfoot

I pulled the trigger on an upgraded thermal monocular...the Pulsar Axion XQ38.  

Initial impressions... This thing is built solid.  Everything about it seems like a quality build.  Even the power cable is probably the nicest power cable that I have ever seen.  Lol.  The housing is magnesium alloy, which gives a much more solid feel than my FLIR's plastic body.  

Just playing around with it in the woods behind my house...and I am shocked at the amount of wildlife that I am picking up.  I knew that we had some critters in the woods, but the number is a bit startling.  

The streaming app was a bit tricky to get working.  Apparently, I am not alone in this...as I saw several people complaining about it online before I stumbled across a fix.  

From what I can tell, the XQ line is replacing the XM line of monoculars which was the model that I originally looked at.  The XQ has a 384x288 resolution compared to the XM's 320x240.  It has the ability to capture still photos and video...and also audio, which was a pleasant surprise.  

I will put it through its paces this weekend and give a more detailed review of what I like and dislike.  

This deer is probably a little over 100 yards away.  I will need to mess with the settings to maximize the image quality...but, even out of the box it is more than acceptable.

img_018.jpg

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

5 minutes ago, norseman said:

Your mounting that on yer 50 cal sniper rifle right?!?

Lol.  I almost tagged you and said that, unfortunately, this one is not going on a rifle.  It was a compromise buy between myself and my SO, so we got the model with the smaller body. 

I will have a Pulsar thermal scope by fall, though.  The quality of these things is amazing.  

Of course, I will need a new rifle then too...

• Haha 1

Congratulations BRB!!!  The XQ38 is the bomb! The quality of your thermal imager is outstanding.  It will open up your world as there no longer are limitations to doing work in the dark and night time is now your friend.

On bigfoot TV shows, they seem to always use red hot or a color theme. In my opinion, it is more colorful for TV purposes but not for visual detail. I toggle between white hot and black hot and prefer the black hot for definition.

Did you get a spare battery? They're not cheap...$80, or so, if memory serves me.

I would highly recommend accessing "nightvisionforumuk.com" for information. It is the most informative about thermal imagers, especially Pulsar, on the internet. You have to register an account first before you can view posts.  Bruce, aka "phoenix", on that forum is the Einstein of Pulsars.

https://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/index.php?sid=82a9b9f1f0cb11c2ad00033fce81f600

Kindly keep the videos coming and best of luck with your XQ38 in the days and weeks to come!

• Upvote 1

One thing that is discussed in detail in the above forum is whether to download upgrades to your Pulsar's firmware. Some people who did so had no problems while others did. After hearing some of the stories, I chose not to but you can make your own decision.

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Congratulations BRB!!!  The XQ38 is the bomb! The quality of your thermal imager is outstanding.  It will open up your world as there no longer are limitations to doing work in the dark and night time is now your friend.

On bigfoot TV shows, they seem to always use red hot or a color theme. In my opinion, it is more colorful for TV purposes but not for visual detail. I toggle between white hot and black hot and prefer the black hot for definition.

Did you get a spare battery? They're not cheap...$80, or so, if memory serves me.

I would highly recommend accessing "nightvisionforumuk.com" for information. It is the most informative about thermal imagers, especially Pulsar, on the internet. You have to register an account first before you can view posts.  Bruce, aka "phoenix", on that forum is the Einstein of Pulsars.

https://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/index.php?sid=82a9b9f1f0cb11c2ad00033fce81f600

Kindly keep the videos coming and best of luck with your XQ38 in the days and weeks to come!

Thanks for linking that forum.  I have looked at a few while doing research on the unit, but haven’t hit that one.

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

One thing that is discussed in detail in the above forum is whether to download upgrades to your Pulsar's firmware. Some people who did so had no problems while others did. After hearing some of the stories, I chose not to but you can make your own decision.

Unfortunately. I upgraded the firmware last night before seeing this.  I had trouble linking to the Pulsar app afterwards, bug stumbled across a fix on a Czech night vision forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a deer and fawn video I recorded a five weeks back.  It was a very dark night and a deer had gotten within 40 yards before emitting a very loud huffing noise. It startled myself and a friend. It didn't want us there because it had a very young fawn with it.

Excuse the shaking but the thermal was handed back and forth with a friend who was with me.  I toggled between black hot and white hot to show the difference which I noticed you did as well.

Edited by wiiawiwb

28 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

BRB - Have you had the opportunity to use your thermal a few more times?  How is it working out for you?

It’s a game changer.  My only regret is that I didn’t get one sooner.

I had trouble linking it to my cellphone via the Pulsar app, but found a fix on the forum that you linked.  The app will make it easier to use on the move and to toggle between settings.

• 2 weeks later...
BFF Patron

Blackrock very impressive Vid of the deer!

Send someone back into the same area and have them go all Bigfoot sneaking around, would be an interesting test of vid interpretation, especially since you'd know size, distance, ect. please post it up if you do.