Sasquatch or Bigfoot

Somerset

Why do some use one name and others the other? 

For me it's Bigfoot, dont know why. Do you have any particular reason for your choice?

I find myself using Sasquatch more and more.  Bigfoot has taken on a campy, commercialized feeling over the past few years.

I believe the term 'Bigfoot' originated in the previous century for the media and entertainment types.  For me, the term 'Bigfoot' is associated with stompers. I rarely use the word.

I am in the Pacific Northwest and use 'Sasquatch'.  'Skookum'  also works for me. As Twist posted, there are many names. Indigenous peoples of the US and First Nation people in Canada have their respective regional names. There is probably a list of names somewhere on this forum.

The flood gates are about to open.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

Ditto, also boogers and hairy folks. Here's an oldie, on page 2 I posted about an earlier reference to "Bigfoot".

Edited by JKH

Primarily?  Sasquatch. Sometimes? Bigfoot. In the past few years of my writing I've also used THE Sasquatch or THE Bigfoot which I like even better as I think it somehow seems more respectful, like a proper name or title, and less like a common animal? But that's only a preference, not a habit......yet.

For example: I research Sasquatch, or I research THE Sasquatch (or THE Bigfoot). The latter is definitely more formal which might help change an outsiders perspective on the creature and the credibility of the researcher?

Edited by hiflier

Mine is creature since there is nothing out there to properly name this thing. Besides the definition of creature is:

• an animal, as distinct from a human being.
  • an animal or person.
  • a fictional or imaginary being, typically a frightening one.

Basically a matter of national location. "Sasquatch" is an attempt to say the native Chehalis (S'Tailis) word in English, and was first published in a McLeans Magazine article written by J.W Burns in 1927, a teacher and Indian Agent on the Chehalis Reserve in B.C., Canada, and is therefore the usual term used in western Canada.

The name Bigfoot was coined by a newspaper reporter in a story about the tracks found in N.California in the '50s, and has become the common term used in the US of A.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Mine is creature since there is nothing out there to properly name this thing. Besides the definition of creature is:

• an animal or person.

That's an interesting thought, what doesn't exist has no name, when proven a totally new name for them could come about.

I tend to call Bigfoot Sasquatch more often than I call Sasquatch Bigfoot.  Sometimes, I call it by each name in the same post. To me, it is the same creature, so what does it matter? Would a North American hominid by any other name still smell as rank?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/14/2021 at 6:21 PM, ShadowBorn said:

• an animal or person.

Native Americans, not to mention ancient peoples in Eurasia, might take offense, since they've had possibly hundreds of descriptive proper names for them for millennia. Don't forget most white folks in North America just caught on in the last several decades. Others knew and named them before, it just wasn't news.

Edited by JKH
  • Upvote 1

Film subject, mythical beasts, man ape and of course my favorite Sasquatch. 

I don't like the name Bigfoot. 

Exploited commercial name not taken seriously. 

Also the name of a monster truck. 

• Upvote 1