Strategy for choosing the location of your trail cam

wiiawiwb

I'm curious what others are doing when deciding where to place your trail cam(s). The forest is vast and it could be put anywhere. How do you narrow it down? I have typically looked to place mine in one of three areas:

1) At the merger of game trails

2) A chokepoint in the terrain

3) Near a water source

The first location requires physically scouting an area to locate game trails. The hope is the menu is set and I'm waiting for a saquatch to take a seat at the dinner table.  The second is an area where terrain features force game to pass through. I usually narrow down this location by studying the topo map. Maybe it's a saddle between two peaks or a narrow hollow but usually it is at the base between two mountains/hills where travel is easier going through the passageway than up and over.  The final location is somewhere near a water source...a pond or stream.  I try to choose ones that are by themselves and a long distance to the next source.

I'm considering selecting somewhere along an edgeline. For example, where the treeline meets a field. Setting up the trailcam so it records things coming out of and back into the treeline. Maybe catching a sasquatch running out of the treeline to grab a deer. My concern has been the trailcam would be more exposed to a hunter poking around because it would have to be placed on a tree on the outer perimeter.  Most trailcams have a flash range of 60'-100' so it can only capture so much of the treeline's edge. I'm going to give this a try.

How do you decide where to place your trailcam?

Edited by wiiawiwb