Hundreds of maps. Which ones do you use?

wiiawiwb

GAIA works well and is my principal GPS software. The ability to toggle between different maps in the field is a huge plus. Lots of great features.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

GAIA works well and is my principal GPS software. The ability to toggle between different maps in the field is a huge plus. Lots of great features.

Do you use the free or subscription version?

• 3 months later...

Yes, $40 for a year. I just bought it, and I love it. I have it on a Samsung tablet mounted in the Gladiator now, but I need to get a little better with map overlays and downloading them. I need to figure out how to download to the 512GB SD card instead of internal memory, too. But for putting around town it seems to do just fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^ Tell me more about OnX please.    What's it run on?   My buddy / ex brother in law swears by it but I haven't had time to look into it.    The little bit I've heard has been in reference to very detailed property boundaries useful to avoid trespassing.   That's about as close as I get to knowing anything.

What is "Basecamp"?   Are you referring to that feature within the Garmin mapping software package?     It's pretty decent though some of the trails I've been looking for turn out to be at least a quarter mile from where it shows them to be.    Finally found one when I stumbled over some sawed log ends more or less in a row out in a wilderness are.   Guessing they predate wilderness designation which was '84 I believe .. very very "weathered" logs.   

MIB

4 hours ago, MIB said:

^^^^ Tell me more about OnX please.    What's it run on?   My buddy / ex brother in law swears by it but I haven't had time to look into it.    The little bit I've heard has been in reference to very detailed property boundaries useful to avoid trespassing.   That's about as close as I get to knowing anything.

What is "Basecamp"?   Are you referring to that feature within the Garmin mapping software package?     It's pretty decent though some of the trails I've been looking for turn out to be at least a quarter mile from where it shows them to be.    Finally found one when I stumbled over some sawed log ends more or less in a row out in a wilderness are.   Guessing they predate wilderness designation which was '84 I believe .. very very "weathered" logs.   

MIB

Im sorry. It’s base map.

https://www.basemap.com

I like the lay out better than OnX. With the compass built into the map layout.

And OnX hunt maps has detailed property lines, but now they have OnX off road too. Which shows roads and trails better.

https://www.onxmaps.com/offroad/app?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5LzTtvbm9QIVFBvnCh0UsgrWEAAYASAAEgIHlPD_BwE

I use them on my apple phone and apple IPad. I also have a garmin Inreach to get out messages.