North Georgia Wilderness Sound File Nocturnal Capture-Unknown Recorded by River

bipedalist

BFF Patron

This is an amplified version of a recorded but distant sound capture.  Included are some gutterals, a whoop, some extreme bass sounds that recreate what it must sound like to bounce a heavy dumpster down a rocky creekbed or asphalt road, etc   Permission given by former BFF member River to use for research purposes and @southernyahooassisted with retrieval of the file from the dustbin of our minds.  Amped version provided through audacity as earbuds/ headphones are required to really hear some of the nuances even with that.

riverscohuttafilengaamped.mp3

Edited by bipedalist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

History is that the file was captured from an overlook/parking area above Cohutta Wilderness Area, North Georgia one night.  Not sure if it was a planned audio recording effort that evening or whether it was a serendipitous sound capture instant on kind of event.  Also not sure if the file was edited or clipped by River.  This is not the original file as my Audacity amplification effort boost was integral to picking up nuances of embedded sounds and vocals.  Thanks again to River for the share on BFF 1.0 which was lost.  And then the repost again here with consent of the Chief Admin @gigantor

Edited by bipedalist
  • Thanks 1

BFF Patron

I sent @southernyahoo an email of the postup of the file.   Hope he responds and possibly can add anything to the history as he remembered it. 

Edited by bipedalist

On 11/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, bipedalist said:

I sent @southernyahoo an email of the postup of the file.   Hope he responds and possibly can add anything to the history as he remembered it. 

Got it. As I remember River was out there recording himself playing an instrument, guitar maybe, and captured this file and another one. The other sounded bizarre like an elk at times. I'll have to see if i can scrounge that one up too.

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

Good to see you SY !

SSR Team

So is that a different recording to what Bipedalist attached in the original post ?

And by 'filtered' am i right to say that the background noise has been taken out, IE the cicadas/insects ?

Yes the recording I posted was from the same night and river recorded it.  I filtered the file to remove insect noise . Typically i would cut out frequencies above and below the vocal range in the recording.

Cohutta?  

That’s about 3 hours from our research area in North Georgia.  

I can’t get the audio to play…I will try again in a bit.  Curious to see if it sounds similar to anything that we have heard.

Having spent my share of time in the N. Ga. mtns in the last 35 years or so, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of this being a red wolf. LOL though, they are spotted even more infrequently than BF around there. Whatever it is, it is stone-cold sounding.  

My feeling about the file bipedalist posted is that it's just too serendipitous for that whoop to follow that monstrous Yahoo vocal. It pegged my squatch meter one could say.😎

SSR Team
16 hours ago, WSA said:

Having spent my share of time in the N. Ga. mtns in the last 35 years or so, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of this being a red wolf. LOL though, they are spotted even more infrequently than BF around there. Whatever it is, it is stone-cold sounding.  

Have you got Loons in North Georgia WSA ?

Loons?  Hmmm....not at the elevations where I usually hang, no. Not sure if they reach that far south, at the lower elevations either. I have heard them a lot in other locations, on the N. lakes. 

Holy crap, wish I had read the entire initial post before playing it.  Damn near blew out my ear with my headphones on and set at about 35 out of 100.   I ended up listening to it at level 10 out of 100.

WTS, I would say the first recording is the real thing.  I heard a call which is greeted with distant response followed by second call which gets another distant whoop.  Any one of them could have been another animal, capturing all 4 calls within a minute seals the deal for me.  The only other possibility I can think of  is humans screwing around but sure didn't sound like it. 

Not sure what to make out of SY's recording.  Would love to have both Audio's in their original sounds track so you can gage the quality of them together.  It is almost like the 2 BF's got together and started to harmonize.  

Edited by NCBFr

FWIW, if anything, there's a BFRO Report from Murray Co. Georgia of an actual sighting, closeup, and the location details says "near Cohutta Wilderness", and Chatsworth as nearest town. There were 4-5 witnesses of the figure.