Asking for help in Honobia

TheTreeman

Just now, VAfooter said:

Check with OkieFoot. Not sure if he is in the area, but I bet he might know some places you could go.

That’s a good piece of advice.

2 hours ago, Mizzy D said:

Treeman I have a friend who lives in Honobia (well not right in it) & you might be able to ask him about your tent idea. I can PM you his name....he's a really good guy, has written a couple of books on the big guys....rather not mention him except thru private message. Are you there already? Or headed there? 

It will likely be near the end of this month / very beginning of December when I head back that way! Definitely send me his contact info for  sure, that is awesome!!!

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

I have a nephew in western Virgina, another in Raleigh, a niece in Chattanooga, and a sister in northwest Georgia. The movement of population to the south has been extraordinary.  Several buddies of mine, and their wives, either have recently or are now moving to Florida as their home state. It speaks profoundly both about atmospheric and population climate in those states. Warm climate and friendly people.

Exciting for those who move there to experience what that region offers but terribly disappointing for those who've called it home for so many years.

It also has a horrific impact on the economy of these areas. The jobs get eaten up and the land/house prices have doubled in most areas around here due to it. The big problem with that is that while that house payment / apartment rent price is almost double what it was a year or two ago because of the gouging the salaries haven't budged a bit!

• Upvote 1

The only silver lining might be that with house prices doubling, a home could be sold to harvest the gain, and move on to some other area. Granted, it wouldn't be a choice I'd want to make because home is home but at least the population gain provides options.

If housing prices go south in the next year, or so, the worst may occur for many. Locked into a home that is under water  similar to 2008-2010. I would not be looking to buy any time soon as I think housing prices in general are at unsustainable levels with no attachment to reality. The phrase, "Irrational exuberance" comes to mind. 

7 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

The only silver lining might be that with house prices doubling, a home could be sold to harvest the gain, and move on to some other area. Granted, it wouldn't be a choice I'd want to make because home is home but at least the population gain provides options.

If housing prices go south in the next year, or so, the worst may occur for many. Locked into a home that is under water  similar to 2008-2010. I would not be looking to buy any time soon as I think housing prices in general are at unsustainable levels with no attachment to reality. The phrase, "Irrational exuberance" comes to mind. 

Hit it on the head! I live on a bed in my folks house right now...at 33...and live out of my car for work to avoid that under water rent. Definitely not the best time to be transitioning out of the military that is for sure!

1 hour ago, TheTreeman said:

Hit it on the head! I live on a bed in my folks house right now...at 33...and live out of my car for work to avoid that under water rent. Definitely not the best time to be transitioning out of the military that is for sure!

Brent crude is 80 bucks a barrel. Oil prices are on the rise.

Go get a high paying oil field job!

Halliburton

Baker Hughes

Nabors Drilling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oilfield_service_companies

On 11/15/2021 at 12:52 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Yeah, even western North Carolina is overrun with people now.  Not as bad as the eastern part of the state, but it’s getting there. 

Sooooo.... my wife and I shouldn't plan to retire down there from New York?  :drinks:  We actually had our first visit to NC this year and it was in the western half of the state.  Beautiful area, although the Asheville "artists row" seemed a bit over-hyped.  Also very sad to see many of the rural communities so devastated by the flooding.  You're lucky if you've been a longtime resident.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 7:46 PM, VAfooter said:

Check with OkieFoot. Not sure if he is in the area, but I bet he might know some places you could go.

If you are willing to drive a bit, try the Blowing Rock area or SW VA.

VA, you and I were on the same wave length on the 16th. ;)

I had an idea so I pm'd treeman on that same day. 

treeman, hopefully something will work out for you in December; ideally somewhere around Christ's 40 Acres since large tracks have been found there.

• Upvote 3

On 11/27/2021 at 7:05 PM, OkieFoot said:

VA, you and I were on the same wave length on the 16th. ;)

I had an idea so I pm'd treeman on that same dIay. 

treeman, hopefully something will work out for you in December; ideally somewhere around Christ's 40 Acres since large tracks have been found there.

I hope it does! I could really use a nice meaningful vacation before going to Raleigh then Pensacola for 2 years, Bigfooting opportunities are dwindling for abit :banghead:

I mentioned earlier about large tracks being found on Christ's 40 Acres. Treeman, you may have seen this one already.

Here's one of the tracks that was found on the property; I chose it because the knife does give a bit of an idea of length. I figure the knife is likely about 9 inches long. You can see toe impressions of at least a few of the toes.

This track, along with five others, were found on the grounds near the river that runs by it. It was discovered on Oct. 4, which was the day before the Bigfoot Festival opened, and it was not observed the day before by a mission member who was at that same location on the 3rd. And it was said it was not consistent with the anatomy of a human foot.

I hope the detail in the pic shows up.

544378027_Screenshot(53).thumb.png.022a25ff582ed869034219e916f81d7e.png

^^

I haven't been able to find that same knife on the internet, at least as of yet. On the conservative side, it looks to me to have a 4 in. blade and a 5 in. handle. Although I think the blade could well be 4.5" or 5" long, so it's very possible it's 9.5 - 10 in. long. 

Here are two more of the tracks.

In the first track, the mud helped make the shape real clear. It's too bad there isn't anything to help gauge it's length along with the width in the lower and upper part.

As you can see, the second track is in the same dirt as the other pic I posted earlier and has the same knife by it; plus you can see where a deer stepped in the toe  area. 

They were only able to cast two of the tracks and I'm betting the track in the mud was one of them.

They said one track measured 16 x 9 and was very wide near the ball of the foot. 

1181454036_Screenshot(54).thumb.png.f62a96782392e49178f8e24aee9f235a.png632078432_Screenshot(55).thumb.png.3d4d65d61cb940544c4903935ff92398.png

https://images.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/3677/4909/89/s-l1600.jpg\

Sorry 'bout the size, but you can find these at any mom & pop hardware store I bet and it would easily show length and width in photos such as the one above.  Doesn't weigh a whole lot either.  Their good, clear photos and the details can be seen but why have folks guessing at the size?

• Upvote 1

I misread OkieFoot's post above and thought it was his picture.  Unless you can positively identify the knife model, there is no way to determine its length and thus calculate the footprint length therefrom. A dollar bill would be more appropriate as anyone can look up its length.

One of the things I carry in my chest pack is a tailor's tape. It weighs almost nothing and rolls into a very small package yet can measure either a footprint or step length. 

Trogluddite, you're exactly right. A tape measure seems like such an easy item to remember when you're out searching and the NOBRO (a research org itself) members were contacted to come and look at the tracks. So it's a little surprising all we see is a knife. As you say, don't make us guess. Especially if it's a track with obvious length to it. 

wii, you're correct, two dollar bills would have been much better than the knife since everyone knows dollar bills are 6" long and we don't know for sure about the length of the knife.

I know I've said before on here most any adult that's out away from home will have their drivers license, etc with them and very likely will have at least a few dollar bills with them.  

As both of you mention, a tape measure is light weight and easy to carry. The knife would have been placed there by a NOBRO member that examined the tracks so I'm surprised they didn't have a tape measure with them, or if they did why they didn't use it for the pics. To examine the tracks is why they were there.

At least we do have good pictures of a few of the tracks and know the length and width of one of them. 

As a last resort, they could also break off a twig the length of a track and measure the twig later.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, OkieFoot said:

^^

I haven't been able to find that same knife on the internet, at least as of yet. On the conservative side, it looks to me to have a 4 in. blade and a 5 in. handle. Although I think the blade could well be 4.5" or 5" long, so it's very possible it's 9.5 - 10 in. long. 

Here are two more of the tracks.

In the first track, the mud helped make the shape real clear. It's too bad there isn't anything to help gauge it's length along with the width in the lower and upper part.

As you can see, the second track is in the same dirt as the other pic I posted earlier and has the same knife by it; plus you can see where a deer stepped in the toe  area. 

They were only able to cast two of the tracks and I'm betting the track in the mud was one of them.

They said one track measured 16 x 9 and was very wide near the ball of the foot. 

1181454036_Screenshot(54).thumb.png.f62a96782392e49178f8e24aee9f235a.png632078432_Screenshot(55).thumb.png.3d4d65d61cb940544c4903935ff92398.png

That knife looks to be a vintage 152 schrade sharpfinger, but with antler handles. A quick search says those are about 19.1 cm in length

Edited by Camper
accidentally didnt put a space where one should have been