On the Trail of Bigfoot: The Discovery

norseman

I watched it last night and frankly, was a bit unsatisfied with it. I know many of those featured in it, particularly Marc and Cindy , so I was happy to see them get a bit of light shone on them.  And certain things made me ponder a few more possibilities which is always good.

But, to be honest, slow-mo drone shots of cars winding through the woods and long shots of researcher's faces can only go so far. I want substance. Not filler. I was happy with the vocals and shots of the nests (which I'd seen before at a presentation Derek gave). However, when they speak of deconstructing the nests, man...I want to know what they found inside and the details of it. Hair? Artifacts? Food remnants? What lab analysis was done? They say they could write a paper and hope one will.gey written. Well I want ALL the info that would go in it. I DO want to hear what they think instead of them begging off to avoid arguement.

Still, if one is unfamiliar with the Olympic Projects work or the nests it's a great film. It's undeniably well made and Seth Breedlove respects the subject though perhaps not some methods of research. I just found it lacking for my tastes, but still worth a watch.

• Upvote 1

Watched it last night too, and yeah was a bit underwhelming for how much they hyped it up to be. I wish they structured it to avoid the filler, that was boredom inducing. Was worth it because I had not seen the nests before but saying that I definitely wanted to see more with that was said above. More discussions, less filler. 

SSR Team

Yeah i get what you're saying Guys, and any Bigfoot doc that's titled 'The Discovery' is gonna need a big dollop of gold within it that's for sure if it's not gonna let at least one or two people down..;)

I think we all know that any type of mainstream documentary on the subject is first and foremost about sales and the stuff that the more serious researcher wants may not actually be at the forefront.

I highly doubt that's the last that will be seen on the nest site on a public level as it's rock and roll.

• Thanks 1

Admin

stm-discovery.JPG

• Upvote 1

I loved it. I loved seeing the nesting sites for the first time. It challenges what I do know about animals in the PAC NW. I’m with Derek, what the heck are they, if not Sasquatch related?

I too would like to know more about what they found in the nesting site. And I’m very intrigued that the DNR was called in and looked at it.

To me? It’s the biggest break through in decades in understanding Bigfoot and how it interacts with its habitat. Most all encounters are a lone Bigfoot standing on a road, which tells us zero. It also challenges my theory that a large primate would need to spread out in its habitat to not deplete its resources. This was very similar to like a troupe of Gorillas chilling out and eating groceries! 

• Upvote 2

Admin

Just watched it, great documentary.

I was impressed with the chatter like recording they got. Also the tip to look for berry bushes which have been broken at 6'+ height and of course, the nests.

SSR Team
11 hours ago, gigantor said:

Just watched it, great documentary.

I was impressed with the chatter like recording they got. Also the tip to look for berry bushes which have been broken at 6'+ height and of course, the nests.

This one G ?

Mr Grumpy Pants Chris calls it, but this wasn't recorded in the nest area.

Do you think it sounds like the Sierra's stuff G ? 

Admin
4 hours ago, BobbyO said:

This one G ?

Maybe, although I think it was longer, I'll have to go back and look.

I have my doubts on the sierra sounds...  too good, you know?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, norseman said:

I loved it. I loved seeing the nesting sites for the first time. It challenges what I do know about animals in the PAC NW. I’m with Derek, what the heck are they, if not Sasquatch related?

I too would like to know more about what they found in the nesting site. And I’m very intrigued that the DNR was called in and looked at it.

To me? It’s the biggest break through in decades in understanding Bigfoot and how it interacts with its habitat. Most all encounters are a lone Bigfoot standing on a road, which tells us zero. It also challenges my theory that a large primate would need to spread out in its habitat to not deplete its resources. This was very similar to like a troupe of Gorillas chilling out and eating groceries! 

I thought that it was great.  Seth’s finest film yet.  

You know what, the more I think about it and step back, the more n' more I retract my initial review, it's a huge discovery. I dunno whether I was trying to rationalize the beds but the more you think and research, they're the real deal and it was great to finally see them in a film. It's one of those pieces of evidence that you don't mind waiting to see for years just because of how good it is. 

It's so freaky, they look JUST like Gorilla beds except...I dunno, more elaborate? And in the PNW... 

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 1

This was a good introduction to the folks in the Olympic Project and the type of research they are doing.

The best part was the video of the nests and the descriptions of their construction, size, characteristics of their locations, etc. (I had not seen them before and kept hearing folks talking about these nests for last few years).

This was not a scientific documentary, but more a story about OP discovering these nests.

I wish they had brought and interviewed wildlife biologists and other scientists (with no skin in the game) to opine on these findings and their importance.

I also wish they shared more detailed findings on all the research that has been done since discovery (they kept referring to deconstruction of the nests, and (while not mentioned in the video) the eDNA research that was done on some of these nests).

But, maybe there will be a follow-up video, titled "On the Trail of Bigfoot: Research Findings on the Discovery"?

Overall, a good show with good field researchers doing the hard work and sharing some of their findings. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up.. I just watched it .. Great to see Marc Myrsell have such a big part.. I have his Mountain devils book sitting on my table at work ..  from all the stick structures I see people post I was expecting something more for a squatch nest ..  But a good Documentary .. liked how they were cruising into Forks gas station as the movie started .. I even saw Johnny Manson quickly, he does the Ocean shores squatch fest but hasn't had one in a few years.. he has a really good Commentary podcast, not really squatch but just a look at society 

• Upvote 1

Head and shoulders above the usual dreck that passes for a comprehensive and serious treatment of the subject. Once you’ve see all the standard, entry-level stuff this is the next level for a serious, non-judgmental assessment of where we stand. If anyone you know has even a little bit of curiosity and wants to know here to start, this is the doc for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1