Place names

norseman

Just found a Goblin Knob Im gonna go check out in the Selkirks.

Anyone purposely target place names like Goblin, Devil, Skookum, etc?

3AE6CF99-D2F3-41DE-9BC0-139A17CC66BC.png

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, norseman said:

I would like to: Kushtaka Lake next to Kushtaka Mountain and Kushtaka Glacier. There is an abandoned Native village there, too. But it's incredibly remote. No way in but float plane. I called Cordova Air Service one year to ask about flying in; $2400 round trip, and when I told him that I was going alone, he refused to take me. The place is crawling with bears. A year later he was dead; crashed his plane.

3 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I would like to: Kushtaka Lake next to Kushtaka Mountain and Kushtaka Glacier. There is an abandoned Native village there, too. But it's incredibly remote. No way in but float plane. I called Cordova Air Service one year to ask about flying in; $2400 round trip, and when I told him that I was going alone, he refused to take me. The place is crawling with bears. A year later he was dead; crashed his plane.

What about a jet boat?

Nope. 

Commercial fishermen from Cordova carry airboats a few miles up the Bering River and hunt moose up the creeks and sloughs to the east, but to get to Kushtaka Lake you'd have to run up Clearwater River, which is a long rock garden.

1 minute ago, Huntster said:

Nope. 

Commercial fishermen from Cordova carry airboats a few miles up the Bering River and hunt moose up the creeks and sloughs to the east, but to get to Kushtaka Lake you'd have to run up Clearwater River, which is a long rock garden.

Gotcha

1 hour ago, norseman said:

All the time.  Blood Mountain.  Devil’s Creek.  Booger Hollow.

Bit off more than I cared to chew with Corpsewood Manor.  Lol.

• Haha 1

Yes, absolutely we check out places with interesting or spooky names.  We were on Windigo Trail not long ago, as well as Skookum Lake.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2021 at 7:48 PM, norseman said:

Absolutely. Sometimes there are reasons why places are named like that, and maybe the squatches are still around, or their descendants anyway. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2021 at 7:48 PM, norseman said:

You bet.    For Oregon people interested in doing this, I highly recommend Henry Franzoni's book In the Spirit of Seatco.  It is very hard to find.   I borrowed a copy.    The maps with the name translations are probably online.   The explanations require reading the book.    In my area we have Skookum Pond, Skookum Lake, Skookum Prairie, and Skookum Creek.   There are a bunch of other names as well.    Skookum can also mean strong, powerful, imply something hidden, "dark", or ominous / imposing.     There's a place where I grew up called Skookumhouse .. translation was stronghouse or jail.  

^^^^

Jarbidge itself is a mis-translation / mis-writing of a native american word that implied bigfoot or devil.   Something about "monster that lives in the canyon".   I would dearly love to have time to explore the Jarbidge wilderness and the Jarbidge and Bruno rivers with a fly rod.

MIB

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MIB said:

You bet.    For Oregon people interested in doing this, I highly recommend Henry Franzoni's book In the Spirit of Seatco.  It is very hard to find.   I borrowed a copy.    The maps with the name translations are probably online.   The explanations require reading the book.    In my area we have Skookum Pond, Skookum Lake, Skookum Prairie, and Skookum Creek.   There are a bunch of other names as well.    Skookum can also mean strong, powerful, imply something hidden, "dark", or ominous / imposing.     There's a place where I grew up called Skookumhouse .. translation was stronghouse or jail.  

^^^^

Jarbidge itself is a mis-translation / mis-writing of a native american word that implied bigfoot or devil.   Something about "monster that lives in the canyon".   I would dearly love to have time to explore the Jarbidge wilderness and the Jarbidge and Bruno rivers with a fly rod.

MIB

We have a south and north Skookum lakes close to the Kalispel reservation near here!

582207BB-06EC-43E0-AD57-FF458A2EE93E.png

My placer claim many years ago bordered on Skookumchuck Hotsprings, also known as St Alice Wells. This was about 40km N of the head of Harrison Lake.

• Like 1

St Agnes, isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong.  I used to own 5 acres up in BC, just south of Smithers in a small place called Telkwa. God's country up there. Spent many a summer up there, and PART of one winter. That was enough for me! ;)

St. Agnes well is a natural hot spring, is closed right now, used to go there a fair bit in my youth

Edited by MagniAesir

You're right, of course, Northwind. That was one of my "senior moments" ;-)

Magni, I spent many evenings soaking in the hotsprings there, with a cold beer in hand, after a day of sluicing and panning. My claim stretched from the N end of the hotspring property to the S border of an Indian reservation 1 km upstream.