It’s winter time!

norseman

That all looks like a lot of fun! We only get snow here every 3 or 4 years on the valley floor. Gotta head up into the hills to find it! Now, we're waiting for NorthWind's truck to arrive so we can get up there and visit some more remote places that require 4wd. The tires on my truck are smooth as a baby's butt, so I have to be careful where I drive... we almost got stuck in my truck last year while trying to get into a "back door" to our fired-out research area. I love being out in the snow!

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:45 PM, norseman said:

Trying to track in a mossy floored rain forest sucks.

They use trackless areas to their advantage.  Winter time is more than epic motorized pursuit.  A campsite / vehicle camping in ones research area is important. Animals that visit /stalk your campsite leave their calling cards.  Many persons are not set up for wet, cold & snowy camping so there are fewer humans to muck up your research area. Unfortunately, as winter progresses, the snow dumps start to limit access.

Western Washington is just starting a cycle of snow dumps. When it dumps, it dumps. 

Most of my research is up high but in winter, I look for low elevation rivers passing through the coast range.   Most have highways along them and only snow shut for brief periods if at all.     Look somewhat near the highways .. hiking distance .. for open flats along the rivers which either have no road access or the roads are gated shut.   I don't know if it helps the chances or not but just the hope of helping the chances may be self fulfilling by increasing the time spent out there trying and available for success to stumble over you.    I don't do much snow camping on the west side of the Cascades, it's possible to be below snow most of the time and though the thought of tracks in the snow is enticing, I think it is the exception, not the rule.   I do like to snow camp on the east side though I haven't really done it in pursuit of bigfoot.

MIB