Scent associated with encounters

Hoekler73

Some, but not all, sasquatch witnesses report a strong odor when the subject is near...

Perhaps not coincidentally, Adult male gorillas have large apocrine (scent) glands in their armpits that produce a pungent odor when excited or stressed.

In your opinion, could this help explain the odor sometimes connected to Bigfoot?

https://seaworld.org/animals/all-about/gorilla/characteristics/

It is also seems to be associated more with Genoskwa. A more aggressive, gray-haired, head-twisting, decapitation type Sasquatch species according to legend.

I have smelt them on trails following me. But have also notice the wind direction and the smell would just vanish when I would stop.  So could it also be that they might be aware of how they smell. Like I have said that I have notice the wind direction and from where the smell was coming from. The smell would clear. Yet, I would still hear movement along the side of the trail. 

I am not sure that apes/chimps are self aware of there own smell like us humans are. We hunt so we try to hide our scent from the game that we are hunting. So do these creatures do the same with us. I am not saying that we are their game. But they do observe us in some form that when we smell them and look in the direction from where the smell is coming from. They seem to know to move and hide. Just my observations.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hoekler73 said:

Some, but not all, sasquatch witnesses report a strong odor when the subject is near...

Perhaps not coincidentally, Adult male gorillas have large apocrine (scent) glands in their armpits that produce a pungent odor when excited or stressed.

In your opinion, could this help explain the odor sometimes connected to Bigfoot?

https://seaworld.org/animals/all-about/gorilla/characteristics/

Good question.    I'm cautiously skeptical.   The reason is that when I have smelled what I suspect may be bigfoot, there have been no other indications of their presence.   When I have seen them, found tracks, been whooped at, exchanged whistles, had things thrown near me, and during the camp visits backpacking, I've smelled nothing. 

Some here may recall my account of bumping into a strong, acrid fecal smell on the mountain in 2007.     A few years ago I was out of town in training for a week.   I was wearing Merrell Trail Gloves walking from the hotel to class.  One day I bent over to take the shoes off and I got hit by essentially the same smell.  My first thought was that I'd somehow unknowingly "soiled" my pants.  :( :( :(  However, it was coming from the shoes.   They are plastic and don't breath very well.   Apparently they retain foot moisture and it ferments.   :( :( :(   Unpleasantly.    So .. I have to leave what you're suggesting on the table as a possibility.    If that is the case, I think it most likely to be a result of a startle reaction, not something under conscious control nor something that happens if situations develop slowly.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Two years ago, on a mountain-ridge trail, a sasquatching friend and I encountered a very strong odor one associates with bigfoot. We stopped and looked around but didn't see anything. It's an area he and I've talked about staying overnight as it has a pond nearby.  It's the only time I've ever run into that type of odor before.

I've always thought that the scent was more related to how possibly "stressed" or "excited" the BF is. If they are just ambling along and are aware you are around and they have good cover, they may not stink. But if you drop in on them when they aren't aware of your approach or are fishing and hunting in their food areas...well, they may get upset and the smell comes out as a natural warning like a snake rattle. Be  fairly easy way for them to mark territory as well.

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2021 at 11:02 AM, MIB said:

Good question.    I'm cautiously skeptical.   The reason is that when I have smelled what I suspect may be bigfoot, there have been no other indications of their presence.   When I have seen them, found tracks, been whooped at, exchanged whistles, had things thrown near me, and during the camp visits backpacking, I've smelled nothing. 

Some here may recall my account of bumping into a strong, acrid fecal smell on the mountain in 2007.     A few years ago I was out of town in training for a week.   I was wearing Merrell Trail Gloves walking from the hotel to class.  One day I bent over to take the shoes off and I got hit by essentially the same smell.  My first thought was that I'd somehow unknowingly "soiled" my pants.  :( :( :(  However, it was coming from the shoes.   They are plastic and don't breath very well.   Apparently they retain foot moisture and it ferments.   :( :( :(   Unpleasantly.    So .. I have to leave what you're suggesting on the table as a possibility.    If that is the case, I think it most likely to be a result of a startle reaction, not something under conscious control nor something that happens if situations develop slowly.

MIB

For what it's worth, I absolutely think that it hypothetically would be an involuntary stress/ adrenaline response if this is, in fact, the source of the odor. That would perhaps explain why not every witness notices an odor.

It is interesting either way that a known species of primate displays this kind of response when excited or stressed.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:28 AM, hiflier said:

It is also seems to be associated more with Genoskwa. A more aggressive, gray-haired, head-twisting, decapitation type Sasquatch species according to legend.

I hadn't previously heard that the odor was related to a specific subspecies.

My initial thought would be without seeing the creature it would be hard to say what type is responsible.

On 12/9/2021 at 7:07 PM, wiiawiwb said:

Two years ago, on a mountain-ridge trail, a sasquatching friend and I encountered a very strong odor one associates with bigfoot. We stopped and looked around but didn't see anything. It's an area he and I've talked about staying overnight as it has a pond nearby.  It's the only time I've ever run into that type of odor before.

I've had several interactions over the last 35 years including a sighting, but I've never experienced the odor many witnesses speak of... at least not  in a situation where there was any indication they were nearby. One must wonder what triggers that response however it originates.

Edited by Hoekler73

On 12/9/2021 at 9:29 PM, CelticKevin said:

I've always thought that the scent was more related to how possibly "stressed" or "excited" the BF is. If they are just ambling along and are aware you are around and they have good cover, they may not stink. But if you drop in on them when they aren't aware of your approach or are fishing and hunting in their food areas...well, they may get upset and the smell comes out as a natural warning like a snake rattle. Be  fairly easy way for them to mark territory as well.

That is a solid hypothesis, and I've always thought that could be why the smell isn't described in every encounter. We know some primates have a similar response... even humans have a tendency to sweat when nervous.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:35 AM, norseman said:

Interesting... I wasn't aware that it was a voluntary response. Thank you for posting the article!

• Thanks 1