Wazoo fire starter necklace

norseman

I have the one by Uberleben. It does work, but I'd hate to have to depend on it as my last resort, though. Plus, it just looks neat, as does yours!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

For years I carried a flint and steel on a lanyard. Many different brands of ferrocerium rods were tested, used, and replaced with the latest greatest ones.  It's always a good idea to have a backup especially for fire and water. Let us know how you like it.

• Thanks 1

I had a lazy camping summer this year but last summer I lit all of my fires with one, starting off with sparking and igniting tufts of dryer lint. The trick was staying close to the tinder. 

• 2 weeks later...

Best tinder I've used is tbe Fire Plugs by Bigfoot Bushcraft. They are great! After pulling them all to bits, I can start 3 fires with each one. I'll have to play around with my Uberleben necklace now, and see if it works better with the fire plugs.

Pretty cool

I hate to admit it but I rarely practice any emergency bush craft fire making but last week I decided to start a fire on very cold rainy day .

I always carry a fixed blade knife with ferro rod in the sheath when walking the dog. I always walk in the woods near and around my property 

and to  be honest it's not that easy to start a fire in rainy wet cold conditions  with a blade and ferro rod :D

Those are the types of conditions that could become serious if you need a fire . I always practiced in dry conditions and it was always easy to find dry tinder.

Took me from start to finish including explaining to my dog what I was doing :biggrin: around 25 minutes to get a proper fire going .

Cotton balls, petroleum jelly and a film case as a holder is cheap and effective way to catch a spark.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Cotton balls, petroleum jelly and a film case as a holder is cheap and effective way to catch a spark.

For sure but didn't have anything with me other than my knife and ferro rod . It was just a spur of the moment thing just to test starting a fire in rainy conditions.

With not having the above  mentioned tinder with me it was hard finding dry enough tinder to catch a spark . Without a knife I would have failed finding it.

• Like 1

I've invested a fair amount of time practicing fire starting using friction methods. The classic firebow. Matt Graham and Cody Lundin on Dual Survival made friction fire look easy. It is very difficult.  Choice of available wood species for both spindle and hearth board, getting adequate tinder, humidity, and so much more plays into ultimate success or failure. I tried the hand drill but achieved nothing except painful blisters.

I used to push myself to use primitive methods. In that regard, my competitive spirit has given way to convenience. Nowadays, I carry three Bic lighters and tinder in the form of residue from the clothes dryer and vasoline. I also carry a very thin birthday-cake type candle. When I know I'm staying overnight, I still look for natural tinder during my backpack into the location.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

Lol  yeah a lighter does make it easier .:D

I think if it ever did come down to any survival type fire in wet conditions and I wanted it quick  I would just use my blade to pry off a few bullets  .

If I'm in the woods I carry a gun always and a couple of extra mags .

On 1/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, 7.62 said:

be honest it's not that easy to start a fire in rainy wet cold conditions  with a blade and ferro rod :D

Those are the types of conditions that could become serious if you need a fire . I always practiced in dry conditions and it was always easy to find dry tinder.

Took me from start to finish including explaining to my dog what I was doing :biggrin: around 25 minutes to get a proper fire going .

Very cool - it's hard work for sure! i LOVE fires, and I seldom get to have one, so I play around a lot at home with my Volcano Fire pit, and BBQ in it. I head out down the forested strip near my home and look for appropriate dead, downed wood, and give it a go with that. Yes, I get weird looks. Do I care? Not really. As long as no one calls the cops on me while I'm out there, LOL!

I find it's so much easier - duh - to light a fire with a fire starter assist. That's what the technology is for, so I practice using it. Since I always keep fire starting stuff in my zipped leg pocket of my pants, even if I lost everything else, I have a few fireplugs and a ferro rod in my pant's pocket, and a Mini-Bic lighter. I'll never have the strength to do the whole shoe lace fire drill, so I work with what I'm most likely to have on me. I admit I also carry tinder in my backpack - a handful of very dry sticks if I had to get an emergency fire going, in order to have something going in order to dry out more wood while it burns down. The tools I carry in my pack are there to help keep me alive, so why not stack the deck? I also carry a fire's worth of wood in my truck, where it's always dry and ready to go if needed while we're out there wandering around looking for forest giants.

In summer, it would be easy (and usually illegal) to start a fire, so it would be a HUGE emergency that would require one. But in winter, it could be literally the difference between life and death, especially since we are always around so much water and rain, which could lead to hypothermia. In winter, my tinder kit is in a sealable scent-lock bag and consists of emergency matches, a BIC lighter, fire plugs, dry birch bark, char cloth, fat wood and, like I said, about a half dozen sticks. 

Practice, practice, practice. And then barbecue something nice! 

I've always wanted to practice more bushcraft type stuff while we're out there, so I may begin adding that in to our adventures and videos. I have some lovely gear that I'm itching to try out.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Thanks 1

The fire-and-ashes roll is an excellent idea.

Nature provides many of the things we can use in an emergency. Fir-resin blisters provide a liquid that will ignite in a pinch. That, mixed with the feathery strips of bark from red cedar (both western and eastern) can be combined to make a fool-proof tinder bundle. Add hardened resin scrapings we see on the outside of fir trees to the fire and you will have a hot and sustainable fire whch can then ignite larger pieces of wood.

• Thanks 2