Sasquatch Night Ops

hiflier

Anyone feel like a bit (or a lot) of speculative Sasquatch science? Sasquatch night ops is a pretty interesting rabbit hole that can cover many things such as night vision, possible infrared capabilities, eye shine colors, and general navigation with respect to moon phases. Much has been discussed over the years about any one of these elements but do those different elements add up in any way to gain any scientific insights that may nail down how the creatures manages to maneuver at night? Or do things in the dark woods like find rocks or a stick and tree to do some tree knocking for instance?

So far folks have talked about such capabilities as single subjects but, if taken together, do all of those discussions shed any light on the Sasquatch's ability, if it's so much like us and the other Great Apes, to do what it does and how? For myself, I don't think any one feature (NV, infrared, etc.) can answer the question as well as finding some common kind of ground that links the various vision advantages together that allow the Sasquatch to maneuver in what we may see as an impossible task for us without our artificial lights or other devices. All thoughts and inputs are welcome. In the end we may end up with something that isn't so speculative?

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 2

Since our big encounter was at night. I'll comment. They are far superior to us in the night. We are opposites - we are day and they are night. Sure, some of us can pull all-nighters regularly, and some of them wander during the day. But, we seem to occupy opposite niches in some of the same territory. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but it's the one that comes to mind with only one cup of coffee in me.

• Upvote 1

Well, Madison, I'm pretty sure I, being in the Northeast, get a pretty good jump on most where caffeine is concerned ;) I don't usually begin threads unless I've been turning over some kind of research for a while and get to a point where some different ways of thinking by members would be welcome. As far as answers I'd be looking for? I have none which is why I'm reaching out. Beside, I think new subjects have the potential to be fun as well as interesting and could benefit in opening up ideas for things that people have experienced.

For instance, most of us know about the tapetum lucidum membrane within the eyes of nocturnal animals, as well as some crepuscular ones, that make their eyes reflect light that is shined into them. Most of us also know that the membrane structures are not something that Humans or other Great Apes have so for the greater primates there is no eyeshine to be had. But reports say that the Sasquatch has eyes that DO reflect light. I would like to maybe tackle this first, not tackle simply eyeshine, but more the COLOR of the eyeshine. This particular sub-subject comes from the melding of two things: Eyeshine reports, and the thread about the dietary interests of the creature in the Rowe thread- specifically the leaves consumed from the shrub the female Sasquatch was eating.

I know venison and other wild meats can have different flavors or eve textures depending on the diet of the animals, such as moss vs., say, the bark of  a fruit tree. They say we are what we eat and I don't think other animals, or the Sasquatch, would be any different. And since plants take up different nutrients and elements from the soil, even though they filter things through their root systems. Case in point? Finding cadavers by sampling plants in the wild around a burial site. So....might different eyeshine colors in the Sasquatch be a result of consuming things like basic elements that are present in different soils? For instance, reflecting green might be from either eating vegetable matter, or eating an animal that has eaten vegetable matter that was higher in, say, copper?

In looking at eyes that reflected red in reports from John Green's database I saw little if anything that might show WHY those eyes reflected red. Seasons didn't seem to matter, nor did hair color, height (age?) or other characteristics. But then I've only looked at red reflected eyes so far. But different elements when burned give off different colors such as in a campfire:

Potassium chloride: Makes a purple flame

Magnesium sulfate: Makes a white flame

Strontium chloride: Makes a red flame

Copper chloride: Makes a blue flame

Lithium chloride: Makes a pink flame

Copper sulfate: Makes a green flame

Sodium chloride: Makes an orange flame

These are all colors that have been reported to be reflected by Sasquatch eyes, beyond yellow. So, for example, might a diet that has higher amounts of sodium chloride translate into eyes that reflect orange? Or a diet consisting of the leaves a certain kind of plant grown in soil richer in copper chloride make eyes reflect blue? Because I'm thinking the reason we can't correlate eye color with other characteristics is that the reflected color might change as a creature moves from one place to another and eats things, even the same things, but the soil plants have grown in is what is different? Maybe that's why different color eye reflections are see all across North America, because the creatures move around, eat different things from different soils and so, after a time, get different reflected color- but the color isn't permanent. Example: deer are territorial and so when I see their eyeshine they all look the same with slight shade changes maybe, but whatever the eyeshine color shading is, it seems all the deer have the same shade.

Where are the scientists or stuff like this? Where are the biologists, the chemi......hmmmm.......Hey, Patterson-Gimlin, this might be right down your alley :)

2 hours ago, hiflier said:

Well, Madison, I'm pretty sure I, being in the Northeast, get a pretty good jump on most where caffeine is concerned ;) I don't usually begin threads unless I've been turning over some kind of research for a while and get to a point where some different ways of thinking by members would be welcome. As far as answers I'd be looking for? I have none which is why I'm reaching out. Beside, I think new subjects have the potential to be fun as well as interesting and could benefit in opening up ideas for things that people have experienced.

For instance, most of us know about the tapetum lucidum membrane within the eyes of nocturnal animals, as well as some crepuscular ones, that make their eyes reflect light that is shined into them. Most of us also know that the membrane structures are not something that Humans or other Great Apes have so for the greater primates there is no eyeshine to be had. But reports say that the Sasquatch has eyes that DO reflect light. I would like to maybe tackle this first, not tackle simply eyeshine, but more the COLOR of the eyeshine. This particular sub-subject comes from the melding of two things: Eyeshine reports, and the thread about the dietary interests of the creature in the Rowe thread- specifically the leaves consumed from the shrub the female Sasquatch was eating.

I know venison and other wild meats can have different flavors or eve textures depending on the diet of the animals, such as moss vs., say, the bark of  a fruit tree. They say we are what we eat and I don't think other animals, or the Sasquatch, would be any different. And since plants take up different nutrients and elements from the soil, even though they filter things through their root systems. Case in point? Finding cadavers by sampling plants in the wild around a burial site. So....might different eyeshine colors in the Sasquatch be a result of consuming things like basic elements that are present in different soils? For instance, reflecting green might be from either eating vegetable matter, or eating an animal that has eaten vegetable matter that was higher in, say, copper?

I have spoken with more than one witness who said the eyeshine was NOT from a reflection of other lights, but rather, it came from their eyes directly. One of those people said she saw it change from greenish to intense red when it got angry and bared its teeth at her. With that encounter, she was three feet away from its face in a window. Both of these people were very credible - the color changer witness particularly as she used to be involved in law enforcement. But both were very clear to me about the eyes.

I have yet to see it, but it is interesting. I don't understand why it would be like this if it were true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I saw were not eyes reflecting red, but glowing red. Unless a moon just rising could cause reflection.

On the topic of color - bird's feathers show the effect of carotenoids in their diet. For instance, around here male house finches can look from dark red to yellow - and all in between  - depending on the berries, primarily, that they consume. Which depends on season and availability. Other things cause darker or lighter beaks, and dark feathers, that change seasonally. 

Maybe the bigfoot I saw ate a whole bunch of dried berries. :)

• Upvote 3

Has anyone ever blinded one? I'm thinking about getting an extremely powerful flashlight (100k lumens) because I am not going to be setting up floodlights at my little shack in the country, but I worry about blinding them. 

Hi, NorthWind, I think for this thread I should probably not get into eyeglow which, as you say is a different kettle of fish. The database speaks of reflected eyeshine and most of the reds anyway do have a light source involved like headlights, flashlights, streetlamps, sunlight, moonlight, campfires etc.. I would invite you to begin a thread on eyeglow as another source for Sasquatch eye color characteristics, such as agitation causing greater blood flow to the eyes creating redglow, and see where it goes :)  At least for now, I need to stay with eyeshine as light reflection because animals, reptiles, birds, bats, amphibians and insects all demonstrate the phenomenon. Great Apes, including us, of course, do not exhibit eyeshine and I will say that for the Sasquatch it could be eyeshine or eyeglow, but for now,, and because the phenomenon occurs across nature, I'm going to stick with reflected eyeshine.

If color is related to diet, however, as @gotafeeling related to with the finches and bird feathering/beak coloring, then wouldn't it be interesting if reflected eye color was also connected to food sources which in turn are connected to soil element composition? I think there's a lot more to this, though because someone a while back mention the type of light source frequency as possibly being a factor as well? Such as halogen vs. incandescent vs. mercury vapor vs, florescent, vs. firelight etc..

And this is BEFORE touching on infrared, ultraviolet, and the whole night vision rods and cones thing. Most things have evolved to have eyes, which is freaky enough by itself when one thinks about it, but then using our knowledge to zero in on the Sasquatch is even freakier still.

Edited by hiflier

45 minutes ago, gotafeeling said:

What I saw were not eyes reflecting red, but glowing red. Unless a moon just rising could cause reflection.

Depends on if the moon was behind you or not? Because a light source's angle relative you, and your angle relative to your subject all play a part. That doesn't matter so much with things that have a lot of eyes like spiders. Usually when I see an animal's eyes reflect my own light source, whether it be a flashlight or my vehicle's headlights, isn't more than say 3-4ft above the ground. So the light angle to the subject is relatively low. Think subjects in game cams also? Eyes are curved, however, so there's some leeway there.

I have a hard time believing  they can actually produce eye glow with no light reflection .

If they can make their eyes glow red then we are not dealing with animals .

16 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Hi, NorthWind, I think for this thread I should probably not get into eyeglow which, as you say is a different kettle of fish.

Like Northwind says, I've talked to too many people who describe projecting beams from the eyes, not mere reflection.    I've seen a couple pictures which seemingly back this up.   So while I agree that it may be a different kettle, I don't think you can truly address what is happening without addressing both eyeshine (reflection) and eyeglow (generation of light).    Trying to discuss one without the other is like trying to answer the question of "how long 'til we get there" without addressing whether we're even pointing in the right direction, never mind our ground speed.

I'll say up front that I've never seen either one.   There is, however, SOMETHING "funny" going on regarding sasquatch night vision.    The night that son of a gun came into my camp back in 2011 it was moving fairly fast .. slowly spaced steps but making 10-12 mph meaning long long steps, coming through the trees, from the sound of it weaving left and right to go around the trunks, meaning it knew where those trunks were, and to my eye it was black as the inside of a boot in a closed closet.     We were in the bottom of a high valley, under fairly heavy trees, with at least 50% of the sky covered with thunder clouds.    I could see a star or two, but no way to see anything at ground level by that limited light.   But that guy .. he could see.   If he couldn't, he'd have stepped on me, as it was, he stopped about 5 feet from where I was laying in my sleeping bag.   I sorta thought he left 'cause time passed and there were no sound, but after a few minutes he started messin' with me.   I was the test subject, not him, that night.  Odd feeling.    I can't tell you if he was seeing IR, UV, or what, but he was "seeing" and it was outside the spectrum my eyes detect.

It is a serious puzzle.

MIB

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Moonless night and I saw unmistakable green and sometimes sparkly green eyeglow from 25 ft. (was totally dark adapted too in expectation of a possible encournter), , moreover, as the subject turned head on shoulders or rotated shoulders with head the glow could be seen from an angle as well as head-on.  Other elements of that particular sighting and visual phenomenon observed probably not cogent for this thread or discussion herein but suffice it to say they can generate light from eye structures whatever the color and without ambient light sources available for reflectivity or red reflex retinal explanations. Animal, vegetable or mineral it is what I unmistakably witnessed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MIB said:

So while I agree that it may be a different kettle, I don't think you can truly address what is happening without addressing both eyeshine (reflection) and eyeglow (generation of light).    Trying to discuss one without the other is like trying to answer the question of "how long 'til we get there" without addressing whether we're even pointing in the right direction, never mind our ground speed.

I respectfully have to disagree, MIB. Mainly (as long as we're using metaphors ;)) because it isn't the same thing so it's like forcing apples to be oranges. So, again, I think eyeglow needs its own thread because what I'm doing here is going through a scientific process, as scientific as can be, of elimination using known phenomenon.

This isn't to say that MAYBE a Sasquatch's eyes wouldn't contain the same chemicals as, say, lightning bugs and so can have glowing eyes but for this particular thread I think it may be best to let eyeshine take its course and see where it goes. Out of over 4,000 reports in Mr. Green's database there are only 277 that list eyeshine in their details. And out of those, only 134 are reports with red reflected eyes. There are other colors as well and science says there IS such a thing as an eyeshine membrane that, in fact, has four different compositions from organic to crystalline. So I'm trying to address this subject first and foremost on that basis. Reindeer in Lapp Land change their membrane color from blue to gold on a seasonal basis. It has to do with either the amount of light that bathes the area at different times of year, or the different seasons result in a different food source for the animals, or fed to the animals.

There's already enough scientific variables in the soup when pursuing this eye reflection phenomenon I simply think adding eyeglow into the mix may cloud the elimination process. Like I said, I've only just got my toe in the water with red reflection, never mind the other colors or the NV light wavelength issues. There's a lot to go over so please, the eyeglow thing needs to wait, or have it's own thread. Because eyeglow, if it's a thing, will have it's own science (chemical, biological, or both) behind it to discuss that has nothing to do with reflection.

I would like to add that the Sasquatch may be the only creature that may have eyeglow. It is not something that has evolved in nature in other nocturnal animals. We don't see bears, coyotes, deer, elk, moose or any other animal that goes around with glowing eyes. And even the Sasquatch has been known to move around camps in darkness and reports, historically are not flooding in about glowing eyes in the dark. In fact, most of the time eyeshine isn't even seen. If eyeglow was available one would think it would be a phenomenon seen in ALL Sasquatches at night and it just isn't.

Reflection is passive and projection is active and so involve two completely different and separate processes entirely. And since reflection involves known science I need to stay with that- at least for now. I hope you understand.

Edited by hiflier