Yeti real or myth

Patterson-Gimlin

For those of you that have seen,heard or simply just believe in Sasquatch. 

Do you accept that the Yeti is real or Oriental fantasy?

Norse has a great thread about the Yeti. It inspired me to ask.

That is a good question.    I think before I answer, I have to ask "which yeti are we talking about?"     There seem to be many variations from Sykes mystery bear to some kind of primate.    I do not think we should assume we know all there is to know.  I do not think we should turn our backs on a potential question rather than truly investigating it.    Something is truly wrong with Science when scientists must choose between doing science and facing ridicule.    We are still there.  

MIB

• Upvote 1

I think it’s more plausible than most places. People only think about a large primate living above snow line. Where does it hide? What does it eat? But the valleys of Nepal and Bhutan are super rich in flora and fauna. Much more rich than North America. The Himalayan mountains of Nepal are 28 degrees north. That’s central Baja, Corpus Christi Tx or Tampa Bay Florida. Imagine the Rocky Mountains in Florida. When you get to the valley bottoms your no longer in alpine. You are in a jungle.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MIB said:

That is a good question.    I think before I answer, I have to ask "which yeti are we talking about?"     There seem to be many variations from Sykes mystery bear to some kind of primate.    I do not think we should assume we know all there is to know.  I do not think we should turn our backs on a potential question rather than truly investigating it.    Something is truly wrong with Science when scientists must choose between doing science and facing ridicule.    We are still there.  

MIB

I am asking more about the Sasquatch type specimen that may have left footprints in hard crusted snow and ice. 

Like Eric Shiptons ,Lord Hunts and others. 

12 minutes ago, norseman said:

I think it’s more plausible than most places. People only think about a large primate living above snow line. Where does it hide? What does it eat? But the valleys of Nepal and Bhutan are super rich in flora and fauna. Much more rich than North America. The Himalayan mountains of Nepal are 28 degrees north. That’s central Baja, Corpus Christi Tx or Tampa Bay Florida. Imagine the Rocky Mountains in Florida. When you get to the valley bottoms your no longer in alpine. You are in a jungle.

I agree. Great habitat for many animals including large man apes. 

Thanks once again for sharing. You share the best videos. 👌 

• Thanks 1

Its why Peter Byrne set up his successful big game hunting business in Nepal before switching it over to his animal conservation organization. I've always thought the Shipton Yeti tracks to be actually those of a Yeti. The width of the heel and the splayed big toe looks more primate than bear. This is from Ivan T. Sanderson's Abominable Snowmen: Legend Come To Life (Chilton, first edition, first printing, 1961):

002.thumb.jpg.4cfeab9a823af5af228eecfd742c2d6d.jpg

Edited by hiflier

And here again, snow tracks are some of the best evidence. What do they look like? Same as a Sasquatch. In-line. And too big of a step for it to be a man. Except unlike Sasquatch, these trackways are found high in the Himalayas. Higher than anything is North America. So are we to believe that people are hoaxing up there?

One thing I would like to point out is that I definitely think the Sasquatch and the Yeti are only related distantly in the evolutionary primate line. In fact, I think the Yeti to be a much older species than the Sasquatch. The footprint evidence shown by Shipton is more that of a Pongid (Orangutan) than Homo. And I think Dr. Meldrum may agree on that point. There is no question in my mind that Shipton's Yeti print is that of a Great Ape, deep within the Pongid line, which was the first of the primate family to split, some 12-13 million years ago, from the African line leading to Homo.

Are the three modern species of Orangutan decendants of the larger more robust Yeti? That remains to be seen.

Edited by hiflier

31 minutes ago, norseman said:

.........So are we to believe that people are hoaxing up there?

THIS is an excellent point. The location pretty much rules out hoaxing.

• Thanks 1

Admin
48 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I've always thought the Shipton Yeti tracks to be actually those of a Yeti

Stay tuned, there is a new paper coming out about that with new info.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, norseman said:

And here again, snow tracks are some of the best evidence. What do they look like? Same as a Sasquatch. In-line. And too big of a step for it to be a man. Except unlike Sasquatch, these trackways are found high in the Himalayas. Higher than anything is North America. So are we to believe that people are hoaxing up there?

Thanks again. I remember hearing about this. Of course you would have a video for us.

Most kind of you. 

I have no explanation other than melting ice and snow with wind unless it is hard ice and shows massive weight making them.

In that case then perhaps made by dare I say an unknown animal. 

The main reason I doubt the Yeti is sherpas tend to be more or less linked to religion. 

The best evidence is by westerners not locals.

They even keep a Yak skull In a monastery. 

Also no bodies. I would have thought with the massive earthquake if they existed would have led to discovery 🤔 

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin

A buddy that I do the most sasquatching with hiked with a group to Everest base camp, and beyond, this past April. He talked with both porters and sherpas and told them he likes to hunt for "Yeti" back home.  He said the ones he spoke with believed the Yeti is real. If any of them had a sighting, they didn't (or wouldn't) say.

Mt McKinley (highest point in North America) barely would make the base of Mt. Everest. And Mt Rainer would be a foot hill.

I dont think the average American fully appreciates just how high these mountains are.

Sherpa’s Yeti is linked to their religion, yes. But so is the Sasquatch linked to Native American religions. That’s to be expected.

And I think it should be way more likely that a Sasquatch body be retrieved relatively close to Seattle or Portland than Kathmandu. There are hardly any good roads in Nepal. 

EC32F916-E3FA-4D26-8C19-C16FDB6BCB4A.jpeg