Terror In The Woods

Somerset

On 1/20/2022 at 10:22 AM, hiflier said:

And we DO have a member who's currently busy going for his PhD in archeology and who is a proponent of the Sasquatch's existence. In fact, that member will be using spring break to do BF related field research to look for proof of the reality of the creature, and member's main research interest involves caves.

Cave exploration in Washington State may become very restrictive in the near future. White Nose Syndrome, ( WNS ), in bats has been found in 4 counties, on both sides of the Cacsade Range.  The counties are Kittitas, King, Pierce and Lewis. WNS can shut down all cave activities. The spread of WNS is puzzling. It is in at least 33 states, east to west coast. It can be spread by animals and humans. Humans spread WNS via clothing, shoes and equipment.

Posts on this forum were made years ago relating to WNS on the east coast. ( search box ).

I avoid caves and abandoned mines based on structural considerations.

Know before you go.

The below links are old material.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/bat-killing-disease-white-nose-syndrome-confirmed-east-cascade-range-washington

https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/diseases/bat-white-nose

BFF Patron
On 1/14/2022 at 12:44 PM, Hoekler73 said:

I've definitely heard of these creatures swimming, including the instances of Witnesses seeing them swimming Columbia River like you mentioned. It is also said that they swim to and from Vancouver Island among other destinations.

I heard a few accounts on podcasts about Sasquatch swimming... In one instance one swam toward a boat of fisherman,, who promptly vacated the area. In another story two younger kids had a hungry Sasquatch swim up and relieve the youths of a stringer of fish.

Certain primates, including humans of course, do exhibit the ability to swim so it is certainly plausible that our large hairy friends occasionally do as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlaau1t3LTE

I know the research compilations of J. Robert Alley such as in Raincoast Sasquatch has several events off southeast Alaska coast and the sunshine coast area of BC as I remember.  Some of them involved porpoising under boats and even attempting to board the gunwales of boats as I remember.  Blogspot has a good page with details too. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

^^^^ I had to dig out Raincoast Sasquatch and review the swimming activity. For those of you who are keeping track, Raincoast Sasquatch is the book with the upside down trees, east of Klawock Lake, Prince of Wales Island, AK..

The author has at least 3 reports of Sasquatch swimming out to and boarding boats. Most interesting was the incident of a Sasquatch reaching through an open window and touching the skippers arm. No harm done, just curious.

Current and historic reports have Sasquatch swimming long distances underwater. They are observed only using their legs for swimming, like a frog. No 'dog paddle' or 'Australian crawl' type swimming. Haida and Tlingit stories have them swimming underwater with only their legs for powerful strokes. Some of the First Nation people have been in BC and SE Alaska for over 10,000 years.

Lack of arm use brings up interesting proposals related to shoulder joint mobility. Apes lack the shoulder joint mobility that humans have that could be used for swimming. Sasquatch swimming method looks like nonhominid ancestry. Playing the nonhominid card based on swimming will get you people going.

There is another type of water sighting, far from shore. "Sea Man", the moving dead head,  looks like a vertical dead head and watches boats pass by. The Sea Man slips underwater and is not seen surfacing when boats attempt to get close. There have been sightings in Alaska, BC, Washington and Oregon. They scare fishermen. No pictures are available. Some believe that these sightings are Sasquatch that are treading water.  Maybe something else in the sea creature genre.

Couple things to keep in mind:

"You will need a bigger boat"

just give them your fish

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron

^ Maybe Sea Man had done Sasquatch one up by training Orca's to support their big feet while they skate the waters of the Sound.  

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

.......Lack of arm use brings up interesting proposals related to shoulder joint mobility........

Interesting food for thought.

.......There is another type of water sighting, far from shore. "Sea Man", the moving dead head,  looks like a vertical dead head and watches boats pass by. The Sea Man slips underwater and is not seen surfacing when boats attempt to get close.........

Sounds like a harbor seal to me.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Huntster said:

Sounds like a harbor seal to me.

The sightings are bigger than a harbor seal with about 3--4 feet of body out of water. Descriptions include hemp like hair, verly large eyes, head and no-neck shoulders, 2 to 2-1/2 feet wide, face with nose and chin, hairless face with hair on top of head. Fishermen dismiss seal or sea lion possibilities. The watching activity and stealthy slipping below the surface is seal like. Spending time floating around in SE Alaska would be quite a mission.

Edited by Catmandoo
text
  • Upvote 1

The one I saw swimming appeared to be more vertical in the water than we swim but not vertical like treading water, maybe midway in between .. something like having it's back at a 45 degree angle .. give or take.   The arms never broke the surface.   It was in a "head high" position with the waterline hitting mid-shoulder or top of armpit level, not chin down at water level like a dog or bear swims.   My impression was that it was using its arms but in a sort of sub-surface breast-stroke way, not a dog paddle.   

For whatever that's worth ...

Funny thing about that .. that's more or less how I swim when I'm in a pond or river looking for obstacles / irregularities to avoid crashing into.    Since maybe 100 yards ahead of where it went out of sight it would have gone over a small rapids, that might be exactly what it was doing.

MIB

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2022 at 3:10 PM, bipedalist said:

I know the research compilations of J. Robert Alley such as in Raincoast Sasquatch has several events off southeast Alaska coast and the sunshine coast area of BC as I remember.  Some of them involved porpoising under boats and even attempting to board the gunwales of boats as I remember.  Blogspot has a good page with details too. 

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely be looking into it some more. The fisherman's account I referred to seemed to indicate the sasquatch's intent was to board the boat as well. For what purpose is anyone's guess, but I suspect it was not in a friendly mood.

2 hours ago, Hoekler73 said:

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely be looking into it some more. The fisherman's account I referred to seemed to indicate the sasquatch's intent was to board the boat as well. For what purpose is anyone's guess, but I suspect it was not in a friendly mood.

Fishing boats smell like.............fish.  Salmon, herring, halibut or deer hunting. Fishing boats are frequently used for deer hunting trips.  Large boats have a range of olfactory signaling capabilities with seasonal aromas.  They raid fishing nets too.  Any Sasquatch that swims through cold water and freezes his egg roll needs a fish or 6.  Swimming brings up blood circulation control. Sasquatch are uniquely suited for extremely cold water and snow conditions. The difference between ice and water is one degree F. Humans might last 4 to 6 minutes in that water. Really fat people last longer.  

• Upvote 1

They may smell of fish but they also reek of fuel or gasoline and have to be known by BF to be a tool of humans.   

That being said, maybe we should setup an old fishing boat in the woods and place a trail cam on it!   😂😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Twist said:

They may smell of fish but they also reek of fuel or gasoline and have to be known by BF to be a tool of humans.   

That being said, maybe we should setup an old fishing boat in the woods and place a trail cam on it!   😂😂

Are they smart enough to know the boat should be on water?

1 minute ago, norseman said:

Depends who you ask!   BF has been ascribed about every trait imaginable.  As long as it helps him avoid detection.   🤷

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, norseman said:

Throwing darts at the wall, I would guess they associate boats with not just humans but also with fish.    The trick is to get the fish while avoiding the humans.    Level of desperation for those fish .. starving, cold, etc .. could influence how much effort goes into avoiding the humans in any particular instance.  

As I've said probably too many times, I don't necessarily see threat to humans in many of the instances people report "aggression".    When confronted with a 10 foot tall hairy myth, people freak out and then feel a need to rationalize it afterwards.   Very interesting and enlightening things happen when you maintain composure and just watch as events unfold rather than fleeing in terror.    Then again, I'm not sure that I'd want to try that out in a small skiff in the ocean.  Prudence remains the better part of valor.  :)  

MIB