Neanderthal child

norseman

The video above mentioning signs of cannibalistic behavior of modern humans as denoted " by cracked skulls and long bones, " makes me wonder if they were eating Neanderthal brain matter as well a  Certainly high in fat, but if they were eating it raw, it's also going to  contain prions, elements found to be quite detrimental to the cannibals of the new guinea highlands, and anything close to regular canni-snacking is going to markedly increase the likelihood of contracting the neurological syndromes. Were these incidents food-based or more ritualized, like the relatively modern day highlanders of New Guinea, and to what extent did the prions impact the cro-mags who hunted and consumed the Neanderthals?

On 10/29/2022 at 8:14 AM, Huntster said:

Not sure how this happened.........

• Thanks 1

Mad cow disease is another prion based disease.

Prions have effected the Highlanders to varying degrees, obviously much more in the past when cannibalism, both ritualized and not, was a more frequent event. Since its now been outlawed for some time, its seen far more infrequently, but it is amongst the traditions of many tribal groups, and with some 700 languages alone found on the island, there's a lot of varied tribes, so who can say how well known the legal aspects of the practice are known, and if it's being adhered to..

If eating Neanderthals was common place back in the Times of Cohabitation in regions that faced seasonal low prey availability one might think cannibalism played a role in both sides. I don't know if prion diseases show up in fossils or skeletal remains,  it it may have played a  bigger role in the disappearance of our cousins than is currently considered, as the effects are quite debilitating prior to demise, and could render a tribe quite vulnerable should many members succumb to their effects.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:57 AM, guyzonthropus said:

The video above mentioning signs of cannibalistic behavior of modern humans as denoted " by cracked skulls and long bones, " makes me wonder if they were eating Neanderthal brain matter as well a  Certainly high in fat, but if they were eating it raw, it's also going to  contain prions, elements found to be quite detrimental to the cannibals of the new guinea highlands, and anything close to regular canni-snacking is going to markedly increase the likelihood of contracting the neurological syndromes. Were these incidents food-based or more ritualized, like the relatively modern day highlanders of New Guinea, and to what extent did the prions impact the cro-mags who hunted and consumed the Neanderthals?

I have read that cooking does not render prions harmless. Anyone know about this?

4 hours ago, MikeZimmer said:

I have read that cooking does not render prions harmless. Anyone know about this?

I believe they're practically indestructible.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I was aware that big cats have round pupils, including Cougars. But not sure how this video supports the notion Neanderthals had slits for eye pupils?

Just now, norseman said:

I was aware that big cats have round pupils, including Cougars. But not sure how this video supports the notion Neanderthals had slits for eye pupils?

The possibility is not species specific. 

10 minutes ago, Huntster said:

The possibility is not species specific. 

Except it is in primates. Our whole family. The most nocturnal primate is a Tarsiers. What shape are it’s pupils? And Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals are much more closely related than Homo Sapiens and Tarsiers.

My statement stands. Show me a primate with slit pupils…. you cannot. 

44741206-0AE8-4A34-B3E4-E9FEA2DA1ABD.jpeg

5 minutes ago, norseman said:

........My statement stands. Show me a primate with slit pupils…. you cannot........

Correct.

But I can (and have) proven that slit pupils is not species specific. 

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Correct.

But I can (and have) proven that slit pupils is not species specific. 

In felines. Not in primates.

Also what you are saying is not technically correct. What your trying to say is that slit pupils are not family (felidae) specific.

If slit pupils were not species specific? Some African Lions would have slit pupils and some would have round pupils. Instead all African Lions have round pupils and some other feline species have slits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felidae

I understood your point but it may be confusing to some.

Ok, I am gonna try a new line of reasoning here.

Europeans have roughly 2-3 percent of Neanderthal DNA. Asians have that plus 2-3 percent Denisovan DNA. This DNA gives us things like ginger hair, autism, occipital buns, and in Asians tolerance to high altitudes, etc. 

So why are there no slit pupils exhibited in either modern population? 

Danny Vendramini posits that Neanderthals had to have slit pupils in order to see in the dark. But having larger eyes would help. And no primate species exhibit slit pupils….even nocturnal ones. 

https://www.zmescience.com/science/news-science/neanderthal-big-eyes/

Obviously in Northern Europe during the last ice and presumably Northern Asia as well. Low light vision was at a premium. But I think the primate solution to the problem was bigger eyes. Because if Neanderthals had evolved slit pupils in the 200,000 years they were separated from us? Invariably modern Northern Europeans and Asians still dealing with low light conditions would have inherited that trait. Usually with cross breeding the hybrid picks up beneficial traits from the cross breeding for the environment it finds itself in. 

To put this into perspective? Foxes and Wolves separated as one species 12 million years ago! That’s a long time. That’s 1/6 the amount of time that Dinosaurs went extinct and all mammals were the size of shrews. 65 million years ago.

Neanderthals had round pupils. Because in many ways they are us and we are them. We interbreed with limited success. Something a Fox and a Wolf could never do.

IIRC slit pupils have a variety of reasons why they evolve.

I'm not sure if size matters because giant Crocodilians have slit pupils as well. I think it's a lighting thing and being able to see better on a horizon line.

I don't see any reason why a Sasquatch or human relative would need slit pupils. 

Edited by Marty