BIGFOOT vs. SASQUATCH. Thoughts?

BFSighting

Any thoughts on using the word “Bigfoot” to describe the Sasquatch? Does is take away from the credibility of the creature and the researchers who study it? Does it matter? What about the other names like Yeti, Swamp Booger, and Hairy Man? :)

Welcome to the BFF! Many thoughts and ideas were expressed in a recent (February 18) thread, asking nearly the same question.

You may wish to view that thread for comments from forum members.

SSR Team
On 2/27/2022 at 4:19 AM, BFSighting said:

Any thoughts on using the word “Bigfoot” to describe the Sasquatch? Does is take away from the credibility of the creature and the researchers who study it? Does it matter? What about the other names like Yeti, Swamp Booger, and Hairy Man? :)

I'm with you on this way of thinking, and have been for years.

I believe the term/word/name 'Bigfoot' is to the detriment of the subject.

Either works for me on a personal level, however, I'm more of a sasquatch man myself. It's kind of like calling a skunk a skunk or calling a skunk a stinker. 

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2022 at 11:19 PM, BFSighting said:

Personally I prefer the term Sasquatch. In reality, there are hundreds of local names used to refer to these creatures as a species but bigfoot is one of my least favorites.

Cryptozoology definitely does not receive alot of respect among the main stream, or for that matter the scientific community. Any level of seriousness or professionalism we can bring to these topics can help to improve the situation.

• 1 month later...

I use Sasquatch for both singular and plural.   I like other PNW Native Americans names like Skookum and another term I have heard in the Yakima area is Stick Indians.  I never use or say Bigfoot not that there is anything wrong with that.

It strikes me that Bigfoot is the term of choice for those who view them as an "it"  rather than a "they" such as the mocking news media reporting how "Bigfoot is active in polk county...he 's been seen a number of times lately by the locals..." As if there's just one making appearances across the country " he sure gets around, doesn't he, Carol? " "he sure does, Paul!"

Sasquatch seems to impart at least a bit more . ...respect..in a way....but until we know what they call themselves, which could very well vary from group to group, anything we choose to call them is erroneous..wouldn't it be a hoot if they call themselves the Human Beings, and then add on True just to distinguish themselves from us, the hairless dwarves. Myself, I like big furries and murder apes  but those might come off as biased....lol

• Upvote 1

I just call them Bigfoot.   It’s what I’ve called them since childhood.   If the name puts someone off of seriously considering them as a species then they probably weren’t that serious about it.  Really, what’s in a name but a way of identifying a subject? 

7 hours ago, guyzonthropus said:

It strikes me that Bigfoot is the term of choice for those who view them as an "it"  rather than a "they"

This is my thought also. I saw Bigfoot last night. He was standing next to the road. Bigfoot was lurking around my window last night. This is how a lot of people view the term Bigfoot. As an individual. 

I use the term Sasquatch way more often than Bigfoot. I tend to agree that Bigfoot sounds as if it is a singular being. 

What about "Sabe" ? I've heard this here lately. Seems everybody is using that now.

Never heard of it before.

2 hours ago, spacemonkeymafia said:

What about "Sabe" ? I've heard this here lately. Seems everybody is using that now.

Never heard of it before.

Ojibwe.

it is one of their 7 sacred animals or something.  It’s a giant or Bigfoot.