If you take that picture, I’ll kill you!

Explorer

I recently re-read the excellent book from Thom Powell, The Locals, to get a different perspective with time and experience.

While I got many new insights from re-reading the book (on the history of bigfoot research, BFRO, the early years of habituation research and camera traps, etc.), it was the Rocky Bounds case from Oregon that picked my curiosity.

Rocky Bounds (probably a pseudonym) was a bow hunter who liked hunting elk in Oregon’s Coast Range and had a very strange encounter in 2001.  The full story (background, initial indications of presence and escalation of encounter) is told in one chapter titled “Rocky Meets the Locals”.

The climax of the story occurs when Rocky meets multiple sasquatches when setting a bait site and a big male stands in front of him about 30 ft away screaming and waving his arms (presumably to protect the juvenile who was collecting the apples at the bait site < 200 yards away). 

The interesting part was that Rocky had a camera (it was morning daylight) and he started to raise the camera to take a photo of the male sasquatch standing ~30 ft in front of him.  Then he got a message in his mind that he claims was not spoken but loud and clear: “if you take that picture, I’ll kill you!”.  Then he lowered the camera, looked away to see where the other sasquatch was, and all sasquatches were gone.

Many bigfoot researchers do not believe in bigfoot telepathy and think this is just the witness listening to his own inner voice.  Even if the verbs and pronouns in the sentence suggest non self, it still may be a self-generated voice.  Maybe a life saving mechanism.

I don’t know, but let’s assume that Rocky did hear a telepathic message from the male bigfoot standing in front of him.  This creature says 2 things that were surprising to me:

-         Saying don’t take that picture presumes that the bigfoot knows what a picture is.  It did not say don’t shoot that gun.  How can a bigfoot know what a camera is and what a picture is?

-         Saying that it will kill a human for taking a picture!  Why?  Why is a photograph such a threat that the creature is willing to kill to avoid it? A single picture from a disposable camera is not that great piece of evidence and was not a threat to the bigfoots present at the moment.

I can understand bigfoots wanting to avoid detection and photographs but killing a human to avoid a photograph is the first time I heard that claim.  I have read from habituators claiming that bigfoot don’t like people to take their photograph but they never mentioned threats, just avoidance.  Maybe Rocky pushed their tolerance limits and was in their face willing to take a photograph.  He was a gutsy man to intend to do that.  Most folks would be soiling their pants and running away.

For those who don’t have the book, the story was posted in a YouTube video by the channel link below (I have not watched it but it was probably copied from Thom’s book).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTfTRM8mLA

I just read the beginning of this on the Youtube video and Dallas Oregon has been my home for 57 years and I loved bow hunting elk in the mountains outside of my home. There were several areas that I hunted that had quite a bit of sasquatch activity and I had many encounters over the years from the mid 70's to the very late 90s. I have experienced mind speak something twice up in the hills of the Coast Range. I know several Rockys, but only two of them hunt that I know of. I'm going to read the rest of the story now.

• Upvote 3

I just watched the whole thing. If you minus the actual sighting, his experiences were very much like my own while hunting in the Coast Range. I have bow hunted for elk numerous times out side of the Grand Ronde Indian Reservation. I have almost certainly hunted on the road he spoke of. Thanks for posting that!

11 hours ago, Doug said:

I just read the beginning of this on the Youtube video and Dallas Oregon has been my home for 57 years and I loved bow hunting elk in the mountains outside of my home. There were several areas that I hunted that had quite a bit of sasquatch activity and I had many encounters over the years from the mid 70's to the very late 90s. I have experienced mind speak something twice up in the hills of the Coast Range. I know several Rockys, but only two of them hunt that I know of. I'm going to read the rest of the story now.

Doug,

Thanks for sharing that you live in that part of Oregon, know the Oregon Coastal Range well, and have hunted elk there.  If you get to meet Rocky, please share an update on his evolution since his encounter over 20 years ago.

I am curious about your experience with mind speak.

Can you please describe what it is like and how do you know that it is not your own inner voice?

How do you know that the mind speak came from a sasquatch?

What was communicated to you?

Pardon me if you have already gone over your experiences in some other post.

Thanks,

Explorer

• Upvote 1

I am experiencing some health problems, so I just don't feel up to lengthy typing, but, I have typed these out in the paranormal section I believe. So, if you want to look it should be there or some where like that. I will type it out for you later when I feel better if you can't find them. It's just that events leading up to, during and after the encounters are important to the story.

• Like 1

Doug:  I hope you feel better soon!

When I first started looking into this subject I couldn't get over the idea that Sasquatch refuse to be photographed in any way (it IS the big joke, isn't it?) No images but audio captures seems to be fine with them.  How can they all have such an aversion to cameras?  To me, it was the first truly strange thing about them.  They are spread out everywhere and they ALL don't want their images captured? I keep asking, "Why?"  I can't get over it. Then there is the "How?"  How do they all know to avoid having their image taken?  If you really think about it, it's not funny at all, it's extremely strange.  Think about all the reports where cameras/batteries fail during activity or people don't think to use a camera (could also be fear related.) 

The mind-speak reports are a bit disturbing.  I imagine experiencing mind-speak would be terrifying for people who are unprepared for it.

6 hours ago, Tylo said:

Doug:  I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you. It's going to take quite a bit of time to get over it.

6 hours ago, Tylo said:

The mind-speak reports are a bit disturbing.  I imagine experiencing mind-speak would be terrifying for people who are unprepared for it.

Since it isn't going to be soon that I can type it all out, I will type the experience its self with out the context of what was going on before and after at some point soon.

Doug:  No need to rewrite your experiences.  I'm sure it can be found in past threads. The Paranormal section is always interesting!  : ) Take care!

On 3/6/2022 at 10:00 AM, Explorer said:

-         Saying that it will kill a human for taking a picture!  Why?  Why is a photograph such a threat that the creature is willing to kill to avoid it? A single picture from a disposable camera is not that great piece of evidence and was not a threat to the bigfoots present at the moment.

I can understand bigfoots wanting to avoid detection and photographs but killing a human to avoid a photograph is the first time I heard that claim.  I have read from habituators claiming that bigfoot don’t like people to take their photograph but they never mentioned threats, just avoidance.  Maybe Rocky pushed their tolerance limits and was in their face willing to take a photograph. 

As a parent, I may be able to offer a possible idea on the reasoning for this.

I can think of one experience that I had when my two kids were little. We were headed across a parking lot from the car to a home improvement store. I had them both by the hands while walking from the car to the front doors of the store. As we got closer, I eased my grip and they went kind of half-running to the doors. We were in the printed crosswalk, but out of nowhere a car came speeding through the parking lot towards them. I mean really speeding. I panicked and ran towards them and took their hands again and this car slammed on its brakes and honked a long angry honk. I stopped dead in front of him in the crosswalk and looked him right in the eye and my wife took the kids into the store. I wanted to kill this clown. Not really KILL, but certainly haul him out of his vehicle and teach him the finer points of the textures of scorching Floridian sun-baked asphalt and its effects on facial skin.

Of course, he drove off. Nothing ever happened except for a few four letter words and some gestures as I think he understood how angry I was. I think we were both lucky that day. I was angry at myself for not being more careful. I was angry at the kids for not sticking closer to me. I was angry that some idiot deemed that particular time to speed recklessly in the parking lot and then have the stones to honk at us for being in his way. I was even angry at being angry. At that moment, I was angry at everything and everyone. 

To me, it is possible that the adult bigfoot was in a similar rage. It may or may not have been willing to kill. But it was willing to take out its anger one something or someone. The camera just would have been the final straw. It it plausible that it was angry at its child for being seen, at itself for relaxing its grip, and on the human it encountered. It was angry at everything and everyone. So it mind-spoke the threat. 

That's my theory anyway. We'll never know for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2