Red lights to save your night vision

NorthWind

I just got a few of these little flashlights...

https://www.amazon.com/WAYLLSHINE-Flashlight-Astronomy-Aviation-Observation/dp/B07C5W13NP/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=red+wayllshine+Handheld+Flashlights&qid=1648041781&s=hardware&sr=1-7

They are not throwers by any means, but I want to try them out and see how they do so I don't kill my night vision with the white ones I have when I am fumbling around with gear and maps and things. I'm going to give them a go and if there is any value to them for their intended purpose, I will report back and let you all know how they work out. They are cheap enough so if I lose one or they don't work, it's no big deal.

I was having trouble with the thermal imager just killing my night vision in my one eye, so I have switched it to a red palate and so far, so much better. 

Anyone else use red lights in the field?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

https://www.amazon.com/WAYLLSHINE-Flashlight-Astronomy-Aviation-Observation/dp/B07C5W13NP/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=red+wayllshine+Handheld+Flashlights&qid=1648041781&s=hardware&sr=1-7

They are not throwers by any means, but I want to try them out and see how they do so I don't kill my night vision with the white ones I have when I am fumbling around with gear and maps and things. I'm going to give them a go and if there is any value to them for their intended purpose, I will report back and let you all know how they work out. They are cheap enough so if I lose one or they don't work, it's no big deal.

I was having trouble with the thermal imager just killing my night vision in my one eye, so I have switched it to a red palate and so far, so much better. 

If you want a thrower, try this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OHD2702?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Upvote 2

We carry both white and red flashlights, as well as headlamps that have both options.  

Like you, the thermal and night vision wrecks havoc on your eyesight.  I have used the red palette a bit, but the definition seems to be lacking compared to other palettes.

• Thanks 1

I have a very small red one that works well while in my tent or for close up in camp. A buddy that I sasquatch with has a red-light option on his headlamp, uses it all the time, and likes it.

NW...how do intend on using a red-light flashlight/headlamp...while walking about in the woods doing night ops, in camp, other?  

I use the lowest amount of lumens possible once night time arrives and force my eyes get used to moving about in minimal light. Two sasquatching friends tend to use brighter flashlights while walking and it does cause a problem for me. They like to light up the forest while I prefer to keep a low profile.

I think the red-light option is a good one but something I haven't explored much. Let us know how it works out.

I'm laughing over here, @wiiawiwb!  I loathe headlamps because when other people wear them I always get blasted in the face with light and it annoys me to no end. I'm looking at you (in part), @Madison5716, but I still love ya, friend! Last year decade century millenium, when I was a boy scout, my scoutmaster would would often say "You can always tell the new scouts..." because newbies to the woods had a habit of shining their lights in people's faces to talk to them. Almost unfailingly, "Uncle Milty's" words come to mind when I catch a beam. He was a great man. He patiently put up with so much junk from us kids. Oh, the stories!

But truth be told, I've never worn a headlamp myself. They seem uncomfortable, annoying, and I often times like to wear my dad's Stetson that was given to me after he passed a couple of years ago. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Perkins_(reporter)) That's a photo of him and the hat. Now it rests on my coatrack right by my front door unless I am out in the woods.

I intend on using the low power red ones for close at hand tasks such as finding a certain piece of gear, or dialing in settings on a device or some such. Small enough to hold in my mouth if I need to use two hands. And let's face it, it gets creepy in some places, and light is really comforting. And then I have my throwers, entirely different purpose.

In the Jeep, I hope to be changing out some of the lights to red. Specifically, the really annoying bed light that comes on as soon as you open a door. Instant night vision killer. In fact, that's what got me on the whole red light kick. I have some red rock lights I will install and maybe some interior ambient ones, too. Waiting on some parts for that and other projects.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

@NorthWind, it was delightful to see the photo of your father in the hat! Thank you for sharing that link, really appreciated the opportunity to learn about him.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Wear that Stetson proudly, NW.

I've had years of service from my Surefire Aviator. Bright white main beam, dim secondary colored light without adding filter. Red or other color available.

https://www.surefire.com/products/illumination/flashlights/aviator/

AVIATOR-isoL__95489.1562794434.1280.1280-1000x1000.jpg

Thanks. I do, and will wear it proudly. It's a good reminder of his integrity, not just as a man and father, but as a journalist. He told me before he passed that he was so glad he got out of journalism because it had changed over the years. No longer was it just reporting verifiable facts, but it had morphed into the ugliness and downright lies that we (or at least us older people who know better), know today.

As for dropping three Benjamins on a flashlight, I think I will pass. Holy smokes, for that pricetag you'd think it would come with a free single malt whiskey and footrubs for a year. It IS cool, though. I appreciate it, Inc.

• Upvote 1

Cool thread. I'm learning a lot about light pollution and how it affects us and other animals.

Blue light destroys night vision (even at low levels)

Moving around in a dark working environment safely requires your night vision to be on point. It takes at least 30 minutes to fully adjust to the darkness. People over the age of 70 need upwards of 40 minutes to adjust. All it takes to ruin that is a brief flash of blue rich white light. The bluer and brighter the light, the stronger the effect. The pupils immediately restrict to block out the offensive light and it will take another 30 minutes to readjust to seeing in a dark environment.

You wake up in the night in your dark room. Your night vision is at peak sensitivity. 

Any sudden change in lighting level can ruin it. Even a small amount of blue rich light will destroy your night vision.

You will also be more sensitive to the circadian disrupting effects of blue light simply because your pupils are fully dilated and will allow more of it to hit the back of your eye.

Folks should adjust their screens to block as much blue light as possible. There are even apps for that. Some cover all LEDs, even if tiny. They are bad news. Just a peek at your phone when you wake up at night could impair further sleep.

No wonder the big guys (big eyes) don't like lights at night. It's well known as one solution to hairy visitor problems.

Edited by JKH
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Wear that Stetson proudly, NW.

I've had years of service from my Surefire Aviator. Bright white main beam, dim secondary colored light without adding filter. Red or other color available.

https://www.surefire.com/products/illumination/flashlights/aviator/

AVIATOR-isoL__95489.1562794434.1280.1280-1000x1000.jpg

I now understand why they call that model the Aviator.  The things that are flying are large bills from your wallet. Only kidding, of course. Surefire has a great reputation.

Reliability when it comes to light is paramount. One of my gulp-first big purchase was an HDS flashlight. It's a flashlight popular in the spelunking community. Reliability when you're hundreds of yards deep in wet caves and can't possibly found your way out in the dark. The interesting part is you can change batteries while the flashlight is underwater.  I wanted one that would bail me out of any situation.

On 3/23/2022 at 6:29 AM, NorthWind said:

I used red lights to hunt varmints for years. Coyotes can see a white light beam hit the ground. They could not see a red light.

In Vietnam the MO was to throw your rain poncho over your head and use a red light to do a compass check. It saved your night vision and it also could save your life from a sniper.

The only down side is that primates have trichromatic vision. So Bigfoot can see red lights in the forest too.

Perhaps they can, I'd put my money there, too. And it's not that far off from the IR spectrum, nanometrically (it's a word NOW) speaking, which I believe they can also see. But why blind myself and give them even more of an advantage over me?

I'm going to give them a try and see how they work. 

I am glad I don't have snipers to contend with. 

• Haha 1