Random thought on discovery...

CelticKevin

So, I've been off work sick the last two days and have been indulging in podcasts and various Bigfoot programs on Netflix and Amazon. I notice a lot of researchers say they hope Bigfoot is "discovered" one day and a few mention they believe it will be by accident. You know...hit by a semi or shot by a hunter sort of thing. A few of them talk about how great that would be if it happened for science and how happy they would be to be validated. I just don't quite buy into that.
Wouldn't you be flat out p****d off if you had spent thousands of dollars on research equipment and field expeditions, traveling to far off corners of woodlands spending time away from your family (who probably thinks you're nuts), suffering cuts and bruises and stings and bites, devoting nearly every free hour to researching old books and maps and chasing sighting reports and generally giving your all to BE THE ONE....only to have some schlub who never gave Bigfoot a second thought shoot one he thought was a bear or a trucker flatten one driving Hwy 22 and they luck out and get all the "glory" of t.v. interviews, big dollar deals, and publicity. 

It'd be like playing a slot machine in Vegas all day ...winning a bit and then losing a bit...until you're broke and the very next person who puts in a dollar on "your" machine wins the jackpot. 

Frankly, I could see Matt Moneymaker (for example) screaming, "It's not fair! It's not fair! That shoulda been meeeeee!" (Before he desperately contacts every media outlet to offer his expert opinion.)

Anyway...just a random thought as I enjoy my medication.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CelticKevin said:

So, I've been off work sick the last two days and have been indulging in podcasts and various Bigfoot programs on Netflix and Amazon. I notice a lot of researchers say they hope Bigfoot is "discovered" one day and a few mention they believe it will be by accident. You know...hit by a semi or shot by a hunter sort of thing. A few of them talk about how great that would be if it happened for science and how happy they would be to be validated. I just don't quite buy into that.
Wouldn't you be flat out p****d off if you had spent thousands of dollars on research equipment and field expeditions, traveling to far off corners of woodlands spending time away from your family (who probably thinks you're nuts), suffering cuts and bruises and stings and bites, devoting nearly every free hour to researching old books and maps and chasing sighting reports and generally giving your all to BE THE ONE....only to have some schlub who never gave Bigfoot a second thought shoot one he thought was a bear or a trucker flatten one driving Hwy 22 and they luck out and get all the "glory" of t.v. interviews, big dollar deals, and publicity. 

It'd be like playing a slot machine in Vegas all day ...winning a bit and then losing a bit...until you're broke and the very next person who puts in a dollar on "your" machine wins the jackpot. 

Frankly, I could see Matt Moneymaker (for example) screaming, "It's not fair! It's not fair! That shoulda been meeeeee!" (Before he desperately contacts every media outlet to offer his expert opinion.)

I personally don’t care how it would be truly “discovered”. I would just be glad to have a definitive answer. 

I would not welcome the attention or hassle of it all. I hope I never find one dead. I would rather have someone else win the jackpot in this case. In the case of Los Vegas, that is another story.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Doug said:

I would not welcome the attention or hassle of it all. I hope I never find one dead. I would rather have someone else win the jackpot in this case. In the case of Los Vegas, that is another story.

Publicity sucks.

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2022 at 2:27 PM, CelticKevin said:

Being prepared to shoot one in the name of science?

I would welcome a freak accident and skip all the hate mail.

• Upvote 1

Like a tourist tripping over the top of a pyramid while walking. Yeah, the discovery can be by any means. What happens after that discovery could be crazy. I still wouldn't mind being that bumbling fool, for what it's worth.

• Upvote 1

As long as it's discovered is all that matters, at the end of the day who cares who does it. Anything more than that is ego getting in the way, which is what we don't want. I 100% believe it'll be a random chance and not from any research organization

More than likely… that is exactly how it will happen.  Like Norse said, species verification without the hate mail?  Awesome!

I have said it on here before… but I spend my time looking into this phenomenon because I want an answer to the mystery.  There would be some salty people out ther me though.  Lol.  

But then again, perhaps only those of the "research community" are consciously aware of the pitfalls of coming forth with conclusive evidence.  Joe " hit-a-'Foot-with-my -truck" could quickly become nothing more than a headline for the Weekly World News simply because he had no idea what might be involved with disclosure and those seeking to prevent it. I mean we all remember the threads here on BFF about "what would you do if you had concrete proof" and the secrecy with which to carry out the initial steps. Who to contact and who not to( "don't call the FBI, MiB, lumber co CEOs, F&G..." ) So if theres anything to the "government won't allow discovery/disclosure" theory the idea of "accidental" discovery seems less likely, and it will take nearly a covert operation to get evidence into the right hands, and even then announcement seems unlikely without gov.approval....

On 4/12/2022 at 7:23 AM, guyzonthropus said:

.........Joe " hit-a-'Foot-with-my -truck" could quickly become nothing more than a headline for the Weekly World News simply because he had no idea what might be involved with disclosure and those seeking to prevent it.........

Hitting a squatch with one's truck is a dream come true. It's "an accident". As long as you're not drunk, you get good publicity, not the bad stuff that would certainly come from a 338 WinMag round. George Hen.........Hen..........Hen..........was never accused of murder.

• 2 weeks later...

Only because Harry woke up... But if you hit one and called the highway patrol..then they come in with the Bigfoot containment team, sterilize the whole scene and your only recourse is the weekly world news!

If the authorities covered up the death of a squatch I killed with my vehicle, all doubt for me would be lifted. I would simply accept the fact that government is trying to protect them and go about my business. I'd tell y'all, some if you might believe me, many wouldn't, and life would just go on. The media? The world? Screw them. They either don't care or are just trying to profit.

If it is discovered, I hope it is not done by some semi or car. My hope would by someone who has been out in the field for a long time looking for it. With me not so much I have seen it and that is enough for me. Let a well known scientist get the credit. If I happen to shoot one then It is going to a university. No one will know about it . Except for a few. I want no credit. Is it a random thought yes!