Story Of Bf And A Hermit College Professor

georgerm

I personally know people who have started to get more spiritual the older they get. It does happen so it's not out of the realms of possibility that as Beck neared the end of his life he looked back on certain things through different colored spectacles.

Excellent point. I agree fully.

Why expect equal numbers of reports among those different mythological creatures? Bigfoot the myth is fully ingrained into North American culture to an extent that far exceeds lizardmen, mothmen, etc.

Why is that so true of Prince of Wales Island in Alaska, and completely not true of Kodiak Island in Alaska?

If you want to hoax something in the woods in North America, you hoax a bigfoot, not a moth man.

Then why do we have mothman reports in New Jersey, and not in Elko, Nevada?

A few minutes on You Tube will confirm that.

YTube has a search function. It should be easy to find a mothman video from Elko.

I'll wait for you to link it for me to see.

As a reminder, I've been waiting for years now for a skeptic/denialist to provide a Kodiak Island sasquatch report. I'm still waiting.

Guest BCCryptid

Yes Huntster that is basically the same as what I wrote. But that came later. It doesn't appear that Beck had those thoughts at the time of the alleged encounter or even at the time he spoke to Green and Dahinden though. He didn't mention any of that to them.

I personally know people who have started to get more spiritual the older they get. It does happen so it's not out of the realms of possibility that as Beck neared the end of his life he looked back on certain things through different colored spectacles.

I have read the Beck speculation, and I put it in the same category as native claims to that effect, ie, they can dimension shift, they can steal your soul, ect...

I think it's a prime example of how there should be no difference in treatment between native north americans and caucasians from europe, both are capable of speculation, invention of mythology, belief, religious principles, ect...

You give ANY human a rare and startling encounter with a supposedly mythical giant 8 foot tall ape in the woods, and I guarantee you, they will question their own sanity. Ideas begin to form to support long standing private beliefs, ect...

I once read a book by a guy who went searching for a lake monster. By the end of the book he was convinced they were aliens and they traveled between lakes in flying saucers.

...Doesn't mean there aren't lake monsters.

Guest BCCryptid

?

Why expect equal numbers of reports among those different mythological creatures? Bigfoot the myth is fully ingrained into North American culture to an extent that far exceeds lizardmen, mothmen, etc. If you want to hoax something in the woods in North America, you hoax a bigfoot, not a moth man. A few minutes on You Tube will confirm that.

Ah yes, the old, 'they are all reading the same script' theory. Except for those reports before tv and the OLN channel, sightings going back to the first days of settlement in N.A. by us, assuming you completely throw out all native reports, which I assume you will.

Consistent.

Description.

One species, one animal. Nobody read from any 'script'.

Guest parnassus

Ah yes, the old, 'they are all reading the same script' theory. Except for those reports before tv and the OLN channel, sightings going back to the first days of settlement in N.A. by us, assuming you completely throw out all native reports, which I assume you will.

Consistent.

Description.

One species, one animal. Nobody read from any 'script'.

BC, I don't think you could prove that. I mean, big feet and hairy would be about it as far a consistency goes, don't you think? The stories don't agree on whether its a human or an ape, how many toes, glowing eyes, foot shape, size, what kind of vocalizations, color, habitat, paranormal characteristics, speed of travel, stink/no stink, diet, bipedal, partly quadripedal....Bigfoot is anything or everything that people want to see.

Edited by parnassus

BC, I don't think you could prove that.

Of course not. That's why we have skeptics and denialists. They always have the lack of proof to rest their superiority upon.

I mean, big feet and hairy would be about it as far a consistency goes, don't you think?

What more consistency is necessary for the skeptic or denialist? We even have controversy over well documented debate during the formation of the United States, with thousands of letters, manuscripts, minutes, etc to refer to. How can any consistency be "proven" regarding an obviously rare creature during the obscure arrival of Europeans with so little surviving documentation to refer to? We can't even find Roanoke, for Pete's sake.

Bigfoot is anything or everything that people want to see.

Then why can't we believe it just exists without opposition?

This forum surely delivers its share of evangelists, hellbent on converting the unwashed, eh?

They always have the lack of proof to rest their superiority upon.

Would you agree that those who claim to KNOW that bigfoot exists, are guilty of a similar attitude?

You can either show me a sasquatch or you can't. No squatch? I can wait, but I ain't getting any younger.

Where's the fun in that? :D

My take/stance is this:

YOU can believe (or have faith) in any thing you wish, but it has no bearing on whether that thing is true or not, and the minute that belief is presented to me or the general public as evidence for that thing, I will don my skeptical hat (<-- see my avatar), and question the validity or authenticity of that belief.

RayG

Huntster, on 14 October 2010 - 03:39 PM, said:

They always have the lack of proof to rest their superiority upon.

Would you agree that those who claim to KNOW that bigfoot exists, are guilty of a similar attitude?

I don't know, and you don't either. They may have had a sasquatch shake their hand, for Pete's sake. I found a trackway. Though I seriously doubt it (and frankly don't believe it), I suppose it's possible that it was hoaxed. But some folks claim that they've had real, unmistakable, no s**t encounters with 9' tall sasquatches.

Should I be so arrogant as to tell them that they didn't, in accordance with my ideology (if I was a denialist)?

Are ya'll that superior?

You can either show me a sasquatch or you can't.

Excuse me, but just who are you to demand that I go catch a sasquatch for you?

I can wait, but I ain't getting any younger.

I'm already too old to be packing my hunting partner's moose out for them, but I seem to get suckered into it on a regular basis. Why does your age have to motivate me to satisfy your ideological needs?

YOU can believe (or have faith) in any thing you wish, but it has no bearing on whether that thing is true or not, and the minute that belief is presented to me or the general public as evidence for that thing, I will don my skeptical hat (<-- see my avatar), and question the validity or authenticity of that belief.

I don't present my beliefs as evidence. The evidence is what influences my belief. When proof comes, it will be the proof that overwhelms my belief, and I will then know.

I still wonder if ya'll will know when that time comes..........

This forum surely delivers its share of evangelists, hellbent on converting the unwashed, eh?

Indeed. And it isn't just this forum. It appears that such is life. Every aspect of life is polluted with numerous ideologies, all competing (and in increasingly ugly fashion) to convert others to their way of believing (though most are deathly afraid of that word).

Edited by Huntster

I don't know, and you don't either.

That didn't answer my question. I've seen some people (some right here on this very forum) claim they KNOW bigfoot exists. They even write it in big letters like I just did. You've never seen that?

But some folks claim that they've had real, unmistakable, no s**t encounters with 9' tall sasquatches.

And they have no way to demonstrate that to those of us that haven't. It ends up being another story on the pile, in a mystery that never gets solved. And don't forget, some of the people claiming they've had that kind of encounter were spewing pure sewage. How do we separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak? Should we completely suspend our skepticism and accept anything/everything they say without question?

Should I be so arrogant as to tell them that they didn't, in accordance with my ideology (if I was a denialist)?

You should ask a denialist that. I don't see anything wrong with expressing skepticism about their sighting/claim though.

I'm not demanding YOU do anything, I'm presenting a fact -- you (as in anyone) can either show me a sasquatch, or you can't. No grey area, pretty cut 'n dried, you can or you can't. Kinda like being pregnant. A woman either is or she isn't, she's not slightly pregnant.

Why does your age have to motivate me to satisfy your ideological needs?

No requirement for YOU to do anything, I was presenting a couple facts, and you misunderstood my sad attempt at humor. I've been following the bigfoot mystery for nearly 40 years, I can wait a few more, but I'm not getting any younger. The years are **** near flying by, my hair now has lots of grey, my body doesn't work like it used to 25-30 years ago, and still no bigfoot. Even if I live another 30 years, I suspect I shall die before squatch is discovered, identified, and cataloged. History is on my side. (notice I didn't say I fear I shall die, for I'm truly not fearful or worried about my whereabouts once my bulb finally burns out).

RayG

Huntster, on 14 October 2010 - 05:37 PM, said:

I don't know, and you don't either.

That didn't answer my question.

Yeah. "I don't know" tends not to answer questions.

Look, Ray, I know you have a difficult time with this, but I can't s**t up a sasquatch for you. Nor can I *know* everything that others may *know*, and then *prove* that to you. You're just going to have to be satisfied with my lack of *knowledge*, and my satisfaction with *belief*.

If your ideology doesn't allow you to be so satisfied, I'm not quite sure what to tell you.

I've seen some people (some right here on this very forum) claim they KNOW bigfoot exists.

And that may very well be true. I don't KNOW.

They even write it in big letters like I just did. You've never seen that?

YES.

But some folks claim that they've had real, unmistakable, no s**t encounters with 9' tall sasquatches.

And they have no way to demonstrate that to those of us that haven't.

Nor do they have a duty to do so, and probably couldn't *prove* it to your satisfaction if they so wished to do so.

It ends up being another story on the pile, in a mystery that never gets solved.

sad-smiley-020.gif

And don't forget, some of the people claiming they've had that kind of encounter were spewing pure sewage. How do we separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak?

All I can tell you is how I do it:

If it sounds like sewage to me, I flush it down my believability stool. If it is believable, I'll consider it. If it is loaded with various and supportive bits of evidence, I might believe it.

But you can't do that. You are bound in an ideology that eats your soul. You want PROOF, but the only people who have an actual duty to provide that for you are given a pass by your skeptical colleagues.

Frankly, I'm afraid you're in a world of hurt, and I can't heal you.

Should we completely suspend our skepticism and accept anything/everything they say without question?

You can, if you'd like, or you can try the Huntster method.

See above.

You should ask a denialist that.

I believe I have.......on the other forum. You may even be able to search it out and read the nasty replies I likely got.

I don't see anything wrong with expressing skepticism about their sighting/claim though.

Nor do I.

I'm not demanding YOU do anything, I'm presenting a fact -- you (as in anyone) can either show me a sasquatch, or you can't.

Today, I can't.

No grey area, pretty cut 'n dried, you can or you can't.

There is lots of grey there, partner. First, you can include a whole bunch of others in that "you". Like, for example, the appropriate wildlife management authorities. They'd have a whole bunch more assets with which to satisfy your burning desire than I've got. Moreover, they actually have a responsibility to manage these creatures if they exist.

But, alas. They don't seem to give a rip about the entire phenomenon.

Sorry, pal.

Kinda like being pregnant. A woman either is or she isn't, she's not slightly pregnant.

But she can get pregnant. You know how? (Yeah, the guy with 11 kids might KNOW that).

Not by sitting on the couch demanding it, or reading about it on the internet. She's got to ACT. Now, she can fool around with "amateurs". Guys on a part time basis, under the age of puberty. But that won't do it, will it?

She needs the official, authorized guy to get it done (or at least somebody qualified and with the right equipment), right?

Why does your age have to motivate me to satisfy your ideological needs?

No requirement for YOU to do anything, I was presenting a couple facts, and you misunderstood my sad attempt at humor.

And you appear to misunderstand my attempt to demonstrate that the average Joe who happens to see a sasquatch has no responsibility to catch it and deliver it to Harvard or Princeton any more than my wife has a responsibility to catch the local burglar and deliver him to the police. That's why we have police. They're supposed to catch the burglar.

I've been following the bigfoot mystery for nearly 40 years, I can wait a few more, but I'm not getting any younger. The years are **** near flying by, my hair now has lots of grey, my body doesn't work like it used to 25-30 years ago, and still no bigfoot. Even if I live another 30 years, I suspect I shall die before squatch is discovered, identified, and cataloged.

Welcome to the Golden Years and reality.

History is on my side. (notice I didn't say I fear I shall die, for I'm truly not fearful or worried about my whereabouts once my bulb finally burns out).

Faith is on my side. My bulb may burn out, but the light just gets brighter.

Edited by Huntster

I'm not demanding YOU do anything, I'm presenting a fact -- you (as in anyone) can either show me a sasquatch, or you can't. No grey area, pretty cut 'n dried, you can or you can't. Kinda like being pregnant. A woman either is or she isn't, she's not slightly pregnant.

RayG

:lol: omg that is a good quote Ray, lol.......

Edited by driftinmark