BFRO Thermal Imager

McGlencoe

On 4/22/2022 at 7:57 PM, McGlencoe said:

Just got the following via email.

Damon added: We have up graded the image sensor 380X 288.  S243W

image.thumb.png.40948aed925c3d9a5a2bb88a41b5ec70.png

This shows two different models?  S242 and S343…with the 243 having the 380x288 image sensor.  

Is the 242 the base model for a thousand dollars and the 243 an upgrade?

9 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

This shows two different models?  S242 and S343…with the 243 having the 380x288 image sensor.  

Is the 242 the base model for a thousand dollars and the 243 an upgrade?

IDK BlackRock, that was word for word from his email.

I've got another email out to him for more info.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McGlencoe said:

IDK BlackRock, that was word for word from his email.

I've got another email out to him for more info.

Thanks for passing along what you find out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up a AGM Taipan TM15-384.  From what I can make out, the BFRO units are rebranded 15-384s. 

My initial impressions are extremely favorable.  I need a thermal with a wider field of view to compliment my Pulsar.

I don’t care for internal battery units, but AGM appears to have top notch customer service…so I gave it a shot.  Build quality is equal to the FLIR Scout line.  The thermal sensor appears to be equal to the Pulsar with similar specifications, while the screen image seems to be superior to the Pulsar.  

Digital zoom is smooth, but as with all units the image loses definition at the highest magnification.  The controls are more intuitive and easier to manipulate than either the Pulsar Axion XQ-38 or the FLIR Scout line, which will come in extremely handy when trying to change settings in the heat of the moment.

All in all, I am extremely impressed… especially for the price point.  I know that the BFRO unit will be a few hundred dollars less, but I have concerns with possible after-sales support.  I would rather deal directly with AGM as opposed to trying to go through another layer of contact.  

@BRB   Thanks for your review and it appears to be a good thermal for the money.

A quick question. The AGM Taipan TM15-384 has a native magnification of 1.5 while the TM-19 is 1.9 and the TM-25 is 2.5.  The one offered by the BFRO, from the specs posted earlier, appears to have a digital zoom of 1.0-4.0x but doesn't list the native magnification.  I assumed it was 1.0 but I can't find any confirmation of that number.

Any thoughts?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

@BRB   Thanks for your review and it appears to be a good thermal for the money.

A quick question. The AGM Taipan TM15-384 has a native magnification of 1.5 while the TM-19 is 1.9 and the TM-25 is 2.5.  The one offered by the BFRO, from the specs posted earlier, appears to have a digital zoom of 1.0-4.0x but doesn't list the native magnification.  I assumed it was 1.0 but I can't find any confirmation of that number.

Any thoughts?

I am not sure of the BFRO stated native magnification, but the front lens on the BFRO unit resembles the front lens in the TM15.  The 19 and 25 have protruding lenses to accommodate their higher base magnification.  

The publicly released information on the BFRO unit was part of the reason that I went ahead and got the AGM unit instead.  I know that the BFRO was basically putting these out with very little markup, which is admirable… but, for me it was worth a few hundred extra bucks to know what exactly I was getting and who I was getting it from.  

When I have a free moment, I will put up some comparison images between the AGM and the Pulsar.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2022 at 12:27 AM, McGlencoe said:

Nothing yet.

A long time has passed. Did you ever  get a response?

On 6/6/2022 at 10:05 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

The publicly released information on the BFRO unit was part of the reason that I went ahead and got the AGM unit instead.  I know that the BFRO was basically putting these out with very little markup, which is admirable… but, for me it was worth a few hundred extra bucks to know what exactly I was getting and who I was getting it from.  

How is the AGM working out for you?

15 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

A long time has passed. Did you ever  get a response?

How is the AGM working out for you?

I like it a great deal.  The screen is of much higher quality than comparable models by other manufacturers.