What is better then Plaster of Paris

SasquatchPA

Looking ahead if I need to cast tracks…

What is a better option then Plaster of Paris? I fear it may be to brittle even with reinforcement. Am I being concerned for no reason?

Thanks

I use a product called Fix-All (sometimes it's called Fix-It-All). Seems to work pretty well, and a big bag of it is cheap at the home improvement store, and I usually have some on hand anyway. Some people swear by hydrocal. I have never used it. 

Screenshot_20220419-161016_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, NorthWind said:

I use a product called Fix-All (sometimes it's called Fix-It-All). Seems to work pretty well, and a big bag of it is cheap at the home improvement store, and I usually have some on hand anyway. Some people swear by hydrocal. I have never used it. 

Screenshot_20220419-161016_Chrome.jpg

Thank you. I will look for it at our local home improvement stores.

I use Hydrocal because it is lightweight.  I've never used any other casting material and it would be interesting to see several brands used in a controlled experiment to see which performed the best. I've heard good things about Ultracal 30.

I'm told a difference between these two is that Hydrocal dries more quickly but UC 30 results in better detail. I can't speak from experience but will try casting my own footprints with each to see if I see a difference.  Lighweight and quicker drying was all I really needed to hear but I should keep an open mind about this. We may have only one opportunity to cast a really good print.

Here is some information from the BFRO website. They mention Dental Stone as something that produces greater detail.

https://bfro.net/REF/outfitrs.asp

Edited by wiiawiwb

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I use Hydrocal because it is lightweight.  I've never used any other casting material and it would be interesting to see several brands used in a controlled experiment to see which performed the best. I've heard good things about Ultracal 30.

I'm told a difference between these two is that Hydrocal dries more quickly but UC 30 results in better detail. I can't speak from experience but will try casting my own footprints with each to see if I see a difference.  Lighweight and quicker drying was all I really needed to hear but I should keep an open mind about this. We may have only one opportunity to cast a really good print.

Here is some information from the BFRO website. They mention Dental Stone as something that produces greater detail.

https://bfro.net/REF/outfitrs.asp

Thank you! I will look for this as well. I may do an experiment with all three. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SasquatchPA said:

Thank you! I will look for this as well. I may do an experiment with all three. 

Let us know what you find - I am always willing to learn and get better.

46 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

Let us know what you find - I am always willing to learn and get better.

will do. 

• Thanks 1

• gigantor featured this topic

I use a little bit of everything. It all depends on what kind of conditions Im in. I prefer hydrocal, hydrostone, and ultracal but plane ol' DAP brand plaster has saved me in a few pinches. The other stuff isn't regularly available locally and can be pricy but DAP is everywhere. Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, local shops, you name it. That alone makes it better than my personal preferences for an EDC casting compound.

I have heard good things about Por-Roc hydraulic cement.  I have been carrying a fair bit in 1-gallon freezer bags for years (not fun, because it is heavy), but, although I have found lots of variable sized prints, I have never found a print that I felt was clear enough, or deep enough, for casting.

22 hours ago, branded said:

Good video on using expanding foam for a more portable alternative;

This would be ideal for longer hikes. I wonder what detail can be had.

19 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

I use a little bit of everything. It all depends on what kind of conditions Im in. I prefer hydrocal, hydrostone, and ultracal but plane ol' DAP brand plaster has saved me in a few pinches. The other stuff isn't regularly available locally and can be pricy but DAP is everywhere. Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, local shops, you name it. That alone makes it better than my personal preferences for an EDC casting compound.

8 hours ago, 9-dot said:

I have heard good things about Por-Roc hydraulic cement.  I have been carrying a fair bit in 1-gallon freezer bags for years (not fun, because it is heavy), but, although I have found lots of variable sized prints, I have never found a print that I felt was clear enough, or deep enough, for casting.

Thanks for sharing. I have not heard of Por-Roc. 

Does anyone add anything such as wire mesh or other material  skewers to give the cast more structure or rigidity? 

16 minutes ago, SasquatchPA said:

This would be ideal for longer hikes. I wonder what detail can be had.

You will not see dermal ridges, but I am not likely to carry plaster of paris on a long hike.

1 hour ago, SasquatchPA said:

Thanks for sharing. I have not heard of Por-Roc. 

Does anyone add anything such as wire mesh or other material  skewers to give the cast more structure or rigidity? 

I use 4x4 cuts of burlap, potato sacks, or any kind of mesh if I think it needs some structural support. Sticks can damage the cast impression. The biggest issue with removal isn't the materials you can add to make it more rigid, it's how you remove the cast from the ground that makes the biggest difference. I removed several inches of substrate when I take my casts out of the ground then remove that from the cast rather than trying to rip a cast out of the ground fighting root systems or other debris.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:05 AM, Skinwalker13 said:

I use 4x4 cuts of burlap, potato sacks, or any kind of mesh if I think it needs some structural support. Sticks can damage the cast impression. The biggest issue with removal isn't the materials you can add to make it more rigid, it's how you remove the cast from the ground that makes the biggest difference. I removed several inches of substrate when I take my casts out of the ground then remove that from the cast rather than trying to rip a cast out of the ground fighting root systems or other debris.

Mesh drywall tape might work well too. I’ve used it to reinforce JB weld before.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic